Common beginner mistakes to avoid!

28 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Simple bond then hide and seek  panick the welp  the recall should be da thee not treats etc. Lurcher work his team work or should be with handler and jukel.atb bill

I do exactly this. And never use treats. Now. Find they rely on food to. Come back when they should just want to come back. 

As pups as well they usually go so far and look back, soon as they do tooty down and soon they head back to u.. Whistle... They soon get used to that. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over doing retrieve training.

Avoid the police at all cost lol 

Not having them stock trained

Dog training  can be made has difficult or easy has the handler desires ,I've trained animals to a high standard that would no sooner run a million miss than be in the company of a human ,semi feral bred animals ,it's down to patience approach in moscasesxno approach let them come in your space when they ready,spaniels collies easy types shepherds also ,it's those hounds types that at times need that knowledgable approach.the skittish no hopes that many give up on,I find these types a challenge and strive to win the animal over then take it to its level ,they'll have different levels in individuals ,,my first pure shepherd bitch was a scrap yard dog given up on bit everyone and everything trusted nothing.i got her right she was top draw all disciplines of a shepherd ,that difference made her what she was.she scaled out a bedroom window to an assailant with in thirty paces of some property he was hers lol.,lots would have. Thought that moment and he would have been gone . I believe in not losing your way all you will lose the jukel.atb bill

Don’t be afraid to use food   Up until sexual maturity a pup is a stomach on legs 

I only feed while out with the pup , getting it making physical contact to feed , if you think about it , it’s about getting a pup coming into your space in the field and aligning around  a highly prized item but at the same time I don’t bowl feed so I’m not creating an exclusion  zone around something the dog values , no fear creeps in as it never arises

instincts creep in when a dog is unsure of your space , 

4 hours ago, Casso said:

Don’t be afraid to use food   Up until sexual maturity a pup is a stomach on legs 

I only feed while out with the pup , getting it making physical contact to feed , if you think about it , it’s about getting a pup coming into your space in the field and aligning around  a highly prized item but at the same time I don’t bowl feed so I’m not creating an exclusion  zone around something the dog values , no fear creeps in as it never arises

instincts creep in when a dog is unsure of your space , 

Ive used grub before and it worked real well but was that kind of dog tbf whitch helped 

Would run over hot coals to eat a long dead shrew

On 03/07/2018 at 19:24, Who let the dogs out! said:

Ok I’ve only had Lurchers for the passed two years and everyday is a school day. Life is short and nobody has much time on their hands these days with work and other commitments. So what are common mistakes people make when first owning a Lurcher which will hinder progress. This could be absolutely anything from training, using slip lead, entering Lurcher to quarry and more. I see a lot on here and common phrases are ‘if done right’, ‘if entered right’ ‘if bred right’. For all the beginners out there looking to soak as much information in as possible, it would be good for the time served lads to talk us through there ways of bringing a Lurcher from a pup and what common mistakes can be avoided and any tips which deliver the best results which have worked for you.

Thanks for any input

The biggest mistake with any lurcher enterer now is believing the shite spouted on sites like this,the average lurcher,owned by the average owner is responsible for the vast majority of lurcher work,don,t get into the mindset of nuggets and feckwit chancers that will make you believe that what they own is fecking superior,its just owned by a superior tinternet egoistic chancer.Graft the fecking thing and forget the tinternet nonsense,the majority on here could not keep a pig clean.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Your on form tonight Morton everyone has different amounts of gear they can put in front of there dogs whether that be time or area your a educated lad instead of trying to belittle folk why not give them the benefit of your experience in a positive way for once 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Morton go upstairs and take that anger out on your mrs pussy ??? bit of built up tension there mate hahaha funny guy ???

Location Manchester,there is more chance of you knowing about a lurcher than the nuggets in the north east,my missus is far more masculine than the average twat on here,ill warrant your lugs became agitated when i wrote twat.

1 minute ago, blackmaggie said:

Your on form tonight Morton everyone has different amounts of gear they can put in front of there dogs whether that be time or area your a educated lad instead of trying to belittle folk why not give them the benefit of your experience in a positive way for once 

Think his dog has just jacked tonight hahahaha only joking sometimes we all get abit touchy and it’s safe to let rip on here.

2 minutes ago, morton said:

Location Manchester,there is more chance of you knowing about a lurcher than the nuggets in the north east,my missus is far more masculine than the average twat on here,ill warrant your lugs became agitated when i wrote twat.

Just seen a couple of notifications and both were two different threads of you ripping people a new arsehole, I quite like it hahaha keep it up ??? entertaining to me mate 

46 minutes ago, morton said:

The biggest mistake with any lurcher enterer now is believing the shite spouted on sites like this,the average lurcher,owned by the average owner is responsible for the vast majority of lurcher work,don,t get into the mindset of nuggets and feckwit chancers that will make you believe that what they own is fecking superior,its just owned by a superior tinternet egoistic chancer.Graft the fecking thing and forget the tinternet nonsense,the majority on here could not keep a pig clean.

100% true some belters on here 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, morton said:

So your  not from Yorkshire then ? and the rest i haven't a clue what that means 

Edited by blackmaggie