• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over doing retrieve training.

Avoid the police at all cost lol 

Not having them stock trained

Remember every dog is different so one is not going to come on the same as another one some dogs are just naturals at every thing you won't them to do and some will have ye head f****d up and some are simly no good the only way you learn any thing in this dog game is by getting out and giveing it a go iv ran most types of lurcher or seen others people work day and nigh you will find one that suits you and you needs but every day out the can be something new with them so don't panick if you have never seen or heard of it befor just learn from it and all ways give the dog the best chance food, fitness etc. Then put the game in front of them and go from there but don't sicken them at first av seen too many pups f****d that way and if you are any good as a dog man you will no your pup as it grows and you will no when it's ready every one is different 

Edited by DavoH66
  • Like 3

I would say the most important thing is making sure they are old enough, fast enough and driven enough to have early success.

If I get another lurcher one day, I doubt it will be slipped on a rabbit until over a year old.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Anyone got any tips for developing a solid recall? 

nope :laugh:

Just don't call the dog when you know it won't come back  which sounds a bit daft because that will be when you want the bugger back. But to start just form the habit of all ways coming back. So practice in the house on a lead throw in a treat or two. But what helped me most was using the same command for a turn about on a long line. So two peeps and I spun about and he soon learned to spin around or the line tugged him. Plus it meant we were heading off in a dif direction which he liked and I deliberately headed some where interesting. After a while i used it as the recall as well and he would spin around and commit to coming back but I was just stood there and he comes flying any way then because he committed to it. Just got to form habits says the guy with the worst trained dog ever ?

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

- Only ever bring one pup on to train and that training will take about 2 years, dont let your head get turned whilst its ongoing.

- Never get jealous of someone else training their pup, put all your effort into your own.

- For the first 6 months of its life its a 'puppy', not a lurcher, so train it as one.

- Good recall is a must but they aint robots, so there will be slip up's now and again.

- Never over do retrieve training, it should always be a game.

- Teach a pup to jump but don't overface it.

- Make sure your pup is stock trained.

- If your pup is to be primarily a lamper, then start it off on the lamp. Same for a ferreting dog, or a busher, start them first at their main game.

- Never expect a perfect retrieve after a first catch. Even the best of trained pups get a bit giddy first time.

- Once you've started them, then keep it going, the best dogs are made from what you can put infront of them.

- Appreciate your dog for what it is... Your hunting partner!

7 hours ago, DavoH66 said:

Remember every dog is different so one is not going to come on the same as another one some dogs are just naturals at every thing you won't them to do and some will have ye head f****d up and some are simly no good the only way you learn any thing in this dog game is by getting out and giveing it a go iv ran most types of lurcher or seen others people work day and nigh you will find one that suits you and you needs but every day out the can be something new with them so don't panick if you have never seen or heard of it befor just learn from it and all ways give the dog the best chance food, fitness etc. Then put the game in front of them and go from there but don't sicken them at first av seen too many pups f****d that way and if you are any good as a dog man you will no your pup as it grows and you will no when it's ready every one is different 

That

4 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

- Only ever bring one pup on to train and that training will take about 2 years, dont let your head get turned whilst its ongoing.

- Never get jealous of someone else training their pup, put all your effort into your own.

- For the first 6 months of its life its a 'puppy', not a lurcher, so train it as one.

- Good recall is a must but they aint robots, so there will be slip up's now and again.

- Never over do retrieve training, it should always be a game.

- Teach a pup to jump but don't overface it.

- Make sure your pup is stock trained.

- If your pup is to be primarily a lamper, then start it off on the lamp. Same for a ferreting dog, or a busher, start them first at their main game.

- Never expect a perfect retrieve after a first catch. Even the best of trained pups get a bit giddy first time.

- Once you've started them, then keep it going, the best dogs are made from what you can put infront of them.

- Appreciate your dog for what it is... Your hunting partner!

That

And like terryd said, don't call your dog when you know it won't come back. The best example of this being, when you take it out after a few hours, and it IS going to need a piss and shit. It will do that 1st

Edited by shaaark

Over doing anything.. Retrieving or any sort of training will piss a pup off and will not want to do it eventually. 

Knuckle down on recall until you got it spot on before anything else.. I'd then say retrieve and stock breaking will come hand in hand with a good solid recall. 

On 04/07/2018 at 17:16, billhardy said:

This the biggest mistake what ones sees with newbies beginners acquiring the wrong. Type fa the given ground and job ,think what one expects from thy jukes stack the odds by getting the right mix.atb bill

That is true I got a 26 inch 30kg muscle bound do or die merchant his perfect for my ground

25296675969_3b219e352d_b.jpg

39683585921_4b91c0e213_b.jpg

yea ok I should have got a spaniel :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Terry I get your drift but a collie whippet in that blackthorn hedge would leave your thirty kilo in a blink on the other hand in the broken sedge fields maybey different .i do believe if one only keeps one jukel and yas like abit a this and that a good bull xs maybey touch herder will keep one happy.,keep at it fella enjoy.atb bill

• Like 1
On 4 July 2018 at 07:23, Who let the dogs out! said:

Anyone got any tips for developing a solid recall? 

Simple bond then hide and seek  panick the welp  the recall should be da thee not treats etc. Lurcher work his team work or should be with handler and jukel.atb bill

• Like 1