spun poly and knots slipping

Hi all,

Question for the knowledgeable on here to do with making nets out of spun poly, ive found some poly is ok and the double knots hold well but some poly it slips bad, no matter how tight you try and tie it off it comes loose. For those situations what knot do you do?

Ive tried a modified double knot(feed it back up a 3rd time through the first part of the knot and then doing a 2nd double modified knot seems to hold ok but the knots look untidy and im only a beginner so there must be a better way.

thanks in advance

Thats a Carrick Bend knot i use it myself and imho IF it slips it can only tighten not come undone.(try unpicking one). I see you in Australia is the twine spun polyester or polypropolene by any chance?

18 hours ago, norseman said:

That's the same knot I use for spun poly, and haven't had a knot slip yet. I've never double knotted and all my nets are good.

I use the same knot in the video

It does not hold it very well, now I could take one of the rolls back and get my $ and try something else but i have 300m of the other roll to use that I cant take back.

17 minutes ago, netrigger said:

1st couple of knots are single, 2nd couple are single with a hitch on top, 3rd couple are knot and a half (Carrick), 4th couple are double Carrick. All are perfect whilst using spun poly 

Regards 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-330m-universal-polyester-line_p4310942

This is the line although I had pink and yellow, it says polyester.

Knot ive done is a carrick knot, no matter how tight i pull the b*****d it will slip if you work it a bit. I have found that even tight knots will if you wiggle them come loose so I don't think its the way i am doing the knots. Doing a carrick twice seems to make it hold far better but looks a bit on the uglier side.

Works fine with my other line I used, does not move, although i think that might be braided nylon similar to this

https://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-jackson-100m-no8-pink-brickline_p5830007

Edited by DiStuRBeD

The only problem ive got is with the 0.75mm braided nylon from fourteen acre for fox nets wont stay  on the needle no matter how tight i load it , but im using a lot on big needles to do a fox net getting better results with a larger rabbit net needle and not loading it so much  

That spear and jackson stuff says it has a little give in it which wont help i always try to buy the best i can but maybe you don't have the choice in Oz

ok bit of an update, thanks to all that have provided some assistance, much appreciated.

The knot I have had the most success with is the double carrick as shown in the vid, they seem to hold reasonable well, at the end of each row I put in 2 x double carricks for good measure.

You can still get the knot undone if you work it but I dont(hope lol) think that will be a problem in the field. I had tried the other knots and they were slipping badly in the beginning

So far ive done the following net sizes based on youtube vids I have watched.

8 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 15 15 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 8

8 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 17 17 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 8

Mostly here in Western Australia we have cotton type nets they are cheap and do the job but they rot and are a maroon typ0e red so blend in to everything. I do have some white ones of the same material but again not the greatest.. thats if you can even find ferreting nets anywhere!