Faults has a dog man.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? As a youth,... I took things personally....when dealing with dogs,  this is both foolish and illogical.  My Father schooled Sheepdogs and Cattle dogs, and same as a lot of men from his generati

Dogs don't require any meat cooked not even three week old pups ... dogs have enzymes in their gut that can break down any meat and bone and stomach acid that can kill bacteria ... a dogs intestinal t

I remember when kitchen scraps made up half there meal with sheep heads hearts etc how times change 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TOMO said:

whats the difrence between a vet and a joiner...did you really just ask that....and I think on the hole most vets become vets because they love animals and there wealfare...

sticking animals back together in surgery is a far cry from nailing two bits of wood together.....

Come on Tomo,we all do jobs for the money and hopefully its a job we like.The point Im trying to make is a lot of other people like apprentices etc go through years of crap wages/hardship etc to eventually get a good wage at the end once fully qualified. If a Vet just loves animals and there welfare why put themselves through the hardship of going through Vetinary College etc for all them years ? If it really was for the love and welfare of animals they could just have easy got a job in kennels,zoos ,catteries,farms etc .

Edited by MickC
5 hours ago, MickC said:

I went to college for 4 year to be a Joiner and could have stayed on another year ,whats the difference ?

More like another three and I don't know what it costs to study medicine in the UK but to learn veterinary medicine at an accredited school on this side of the pond is going to set you back at least thirty grand a year. Without trying to sound like a c*nt I'd say a skilled surgeon is a huge difference from being a skilled joiner. Not knocking the skillset in either but apples and oranges is being compared here.

6 hours ago, MickC said:

I don't know anyone that does not go into a job without the pay/wages being there main motivation .

That's the difference between a job and career, IMO.

I currently have 4 rescue dogs and one foster that I'm working with. The vet attached to the rescue works for free. He makes money through his practice but all the hours put in with the rescue are volunteer hours like everyone else. He spends a lot of time there, too, as like every other rescue in the world is chocked full of unwanted animals. They had a pit bull come through that had been seriously wounded with a shotgun blast. He spent 15 hours in surgery with him on his own time. I don't know anyone that would do that if the only motivation for getting up in the morning was money. I get what you're saying but man cannot live on bread alone. I could go an work on the oil rigs tomorrow for four times what I'm currently making but I wouldn't get all the perks of the downtime that comes with my current job. 3-4 days off a week are more important to me than an hourly rate.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John d said:

They day I give a f**k about what anyone thinks of me and my dogs is the day I sell up as no man alive can tell me I'm doing it wrong when it's my own way of doing it and being out on the land alone. 

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I've got an abandoned APBT currently sleeping on the end of my son's bed. We found him tied to a post 10 miles from the nearest building on the Arizona strip. Every expert I've spoken to has told me they're vicious, dangerous, too powerful etc, and that I should have had him PTS. Sure you roll the dice on any dog but he's working out nicely. Just need to keep away from the mule deer. :ninja:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MickC said:

If it really was for the love and welfare of animals they could just have easy got a job in kennels,zoos ,catteries,farms etc .

I see what you're saying but I still reckon it's a combination of both. A vet has to be the highest paying but with the costs of the education, it's the long-term payoff. I don't think anyone would take on that challenge if it wasn't for a love of what they want to do. Money is secondary.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mackem said:

£120k'ish so far.

Sounds like it's a little cheaper in the UK but it's still the equivalent of a small mortgage. $30,000 a year to study veterinary medicine, in the US. Starting wages are around $60,000 but top vets will earn around $160,000 with a ton of experience. That's a hell of a hole to climb out of if your primary motivation is financial.

Just now, ChrisJones said:

Sounds like it's a little cheaper in the UK but it's still the equivalent of a small mortgage. $30,000 a year to study veterinary medicine, in the US. Starting wages are around $60,000 but top vets will earn around $160,000 with a ton of experience. That's a hell of a hole to climb out of if your primary motivation is financial.

He is studying in HK mate,his brothers fees were similar for vet-med but dropped when he changed direction to marine biology,its not about cash,getting up at 2am with a throbbing headache to cram notes after having 5 hours sleep and in the 12 left out of the original 100+ students who began the journey,for him its never been about how much he can make,i wanted him to do mining engineer good money etc,he wanted to do medicine because he is a genuinely nice human being.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

I see what you're saying but I still reckon it's a combination of both. A vet has to be the highest paying but with the costs of the education, it's the long-term payoff. I don't think anyone would take on that challenge if it wasn't for a love of what they want to do. Money is secondary.

So why are 99.9% of vets robbing cnuts? They can do a c section on a cow for a 100 quid but it’s 500 for a dog, and the same goes for meds. They are out to rinse you at every opportunity. So of course it’s about money Chris.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

So why are 99.9% of vets robbing cnuts? They can do a c section on a cow for a 100 quid but it’s 500 for a dog, and the same goes for meds. They are out to rinse you at every opportunity. So of course it’s about money Chris.

I've never met a vet or a doctor that got into their profession for the sole purpose of making money but if you paid the equivalent of a house in student loans to become one would you work for peanuts? I'm not trying to excuse rip off pricing but c'mon there's plenty of ripping off done in every industry. I've met an English vet that charged extra because he disagreed with working dogs. I know a yank vet that discounts for the same reason.

If your dog needed a c section would you take it to MickC? He spent four years at college to become a joiner. I've got a GCSE in English I'll do it for a fiver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why the need to be smart Chris because you cant answer the question dogmandont put to you ? When you spend money on yourself doing courses/college etc you are only investing money in yourself that you will get back umpteen times over once you are fully qualified. Ive used Vets for over 40 years with working Lurchers some good some bad and some who have spoke to me like a piece of sh*t because I worked dogs. Why do they charge so much if its not about money ?