White lakey or not

3 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Only a one eyed fool would make a comment like that without seeing a dog work.

How does the saying go? A man who has an eye on the past is blind in one eye, but has one good eye left. The man who ignores the past is blind in both eyes.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares.Theyre f***ing shit whatever you want to label them as.

This farm yard Russell type was a proper worker, used to boss the Patterdale about in the yard even though it would have killed him. Dug a 12 footer with him at around 11 years old. 

I could never work out why my pal kept any of that white rubbish when he had very capable black dogs from Kens breeding but for some reason he took everything Old Gouldy said as gospel.I reckon Ken co

Posted Images

About 20 years ago I judged a well known working terrier show and a white Lakeland stood out, going over the dog I asked what type of worker the dog was the fella said he likes to mix it, anyway I picked him for overall BIS, I bumped into the fella afterwards and I said I hope that dog works as good as he looks, he smiled gave me his number and said ring him, to cut a long story short he came up to me and we dug to the dog locked on, that's the first and last white lakie I've seen find and stay.

• Like 3

The fella i had my first black terriers from also had white dogs direct from Gouldy out of flint.Ok all the time they could bully a fox but that was about it and right f***ing twats for fighting and a few of them would kill a pup too if they got the chance.

• Like 1

I always wondered if the white Gouldy stuff was any good, a lad who dug with me a few times had one from Gould, I think it was a son of Flint, it was around the time he was advertising flint at stud, it was ok.....doubled up with his black dog he got off Ken that would work fine on its own???

I went to Kens in 89 to buy a black pup , he only had 3 coloured terriers there , but had two rows of kernels in a huge shed , there where bitches in all these kennels in pup or with pups , he must of been knocking out hundreds, none looked like they had seen outside the kennel never mind a earth , these pups played a big part in the makeup of the soon to be parson russell, the dog flint was his main stud, these could of had working blood in them but that was not the concern , the black pup never came to anything and that's when my interest in anything breed by  gould finished    

• Like 3

Gary's line of terrier has always thrown whites. If you read Fell Terrier it explains why too. Until the late 70's they were litter givaways...

I remember Gravel & Flint, both belly brothers. Both would/could work.

Gouldy bought Flint for a decent sum, knowing there was a few bob to be made from him. Gary kept Gravel but had him out at stud with PM, who was a member of the old Wigan Club, of which i was also a member. PM bred a lot of pups out of him but not anywhere near what Ken churned out!

Although Gary owned Gravel and Billy, Gravel's son, he didn't push the type too much, he left that to PM and others and went about his business with his black an tans.

Both Flint and Gravel could throw real smart pups out of average bitches and at that time created a boom in the market, everyone wanted a white Lakie..!!

I seen and went out with a good few if them around that time, mostly with the lads from the club who owned them. If i'm honest i only seen one that was ok at work and I wouldn't have owned it. In the main, they were gassy fighting feckers, with little interest in work underground.

Sadly, many were used to 'smarten up' good working lines of Jack Russell, which wouldn't have done them any favours work wise...!!

If they were bred to type for work rather than coin, then maybe we would still see decent working lines about, because the original Lakie line was decent enough.

A classic case of coin ruining workers. Take heed....

A bloke I no was at his kennels in the 80s an he said it was just a puppy farm at the highest level, his main interest was peddling an making money than work, so why is  a bloke like that a big name in the terrier world?? Yes he might of turned out some decent worker's but the amount he was turning out there would of been more culls than than worker's,, every time I hear his or any other big name the first thing I think is peddler an wouldn't have anything to do with them.

• Like 2

I could never work out why my pal kept any of that white rubbish when he had very capable black dogs from Kens breeding but for some reason he took everything Old Gouldy said as gospel.I reckon Ken could have sold him a guinea pig.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Went to kens many times in late 80s and 90s he always said if u want a digging dog take a black un if you want a shower to work now and then take a white un.the white lakeland types not to be confused with his old bull russel line stormer stuff you could have a tidy digging dog of them.nno one could say he wasn't a peddler he was but he bred a lot of good black stuff.glyn didnt you use a dog of jg from the midlands as an outcross in the 90s.jack wasn't it he was all gouldy breeding and an alright do to work if my memory serves me well.i had a few dogs of ken they didn't all make it but a lot turned out right 

2 hours ago, task said:

Went to kens many times in late 80s and 90s he always said if u want a digging dog take a black un if you want a shower to work now and then take a white un.the white lakeland types not to be confused with his old bull russel line stormer stuff you could have a tidy digging dog of them.nno one could say he wasn't a peddler he was but he bred a lot of good black stuff.glyn didnt you use a dog of jg from the midlands as an outcross in the 90s.jack wasn't it he was all gouldy breeding and an alright do to work if my memory serves me well.i had a few dogs of ken they didn't all make it but a lot turned out right 

Your right Task i did , but like i said i gave up the idea of ever going to Ken again , He breed some of the best blacks at one time and the legacy of Smithy will never diminish not many lines that don't carry that blood  

Jack hasn't been a outcross as yet for me, i farmed out the litter and a cracking lot to work they where, they have been line bred by a friend and more of my nuttall blood has been added and a touch more parks,  the plan is to bring it in maybe in the next gen but also maybe not 

all i can say is thank god for the likes of nuttall and gould i'd of never got a black , but those days are gone , making a few quid from a spare pup or two is one thing trying to make a living from it i don't think so , but i will say they were stunning looking whites   he had 

• Like 2

Glad to here jack produced some workers for u.i dug over him a good few times never seen a dog kill a fox so quick has him and took hardly any stick in the process .youre right glyn all them show lakelanxs are a lovely stamp white or coloured just every one i seen work weren't worth a cup of cold piss for work didnt like it when they couldn't bully game.back in those days most of the names were peddlers still a few at it now but a lot of god lads out there now keeping it tight as it should be

• Like 1