fires on saddleworth and winterhill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m heavily involved with the fire at Saddleworth, been in the moor most days helping with fire fighting. Back on tomorrow 

From earlier this week. The soles on my boots were melting ?

, watching the effects of the fire on the wildlife and the people in the surrounding areas, complete devastation for all concerned, mainly the gamekeepers with there grouse population struggling for y

Posted Images

I read a piece by some Liverpool uni academic and he said that because the moor was so ill managed the heather is really long which has led to a more intense burn which may have damaged the peat beneath essentially scaring the moor. It'll make it very hard for regrowth apparently.

He was basically making a case for regular burning.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

That's been the biggest reason for it's ferociousness and difficulty to control. Even on our well maintained and controlled moors, a fire when it is as dry as it is, would be difficult to control. But when there are no breaks in the vegetation or controlled burns, then you are just hoping to contain it until the weather breaks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

been upon on Winter hill for the last few days. Its been like hell on earth. We live on the next valleyed thank our lucky stars that its not us.  

It won't let me send you a message for some reason. I'm from the other side of the hill so just wondering if I know you? Your not on Darwen are you? 

I used to work on anglezarke and I have a days beating on Belmont every now and again. 

I do quite a few pest control contracts round Entwistle and iv done a lot of fencing and walling round Entwistle reservoir. I'm not bragging about my work just wondering if I know you lol