I think big or small strong or thin i think it mainly comes downnto how committed the dog is. The gooduns that try hard allways seem to come a cropper. it amazes me what they can recover from.

Edited by C.green

4 minutes ago, C.green said:

I think big or small strong or thin i think it mainly comes downnto how committed the dog is. The gooduns that try hard allways seem to come a cropper. But saying that it still amazes me what they can recover from.

A6BD0D36-868E-44D3-ABC1-7AADF7496C27.thumb.jpeg.7fc3c10ae28c5723732d713c8bd31af5.jpeg

Did you get a titanium plate screwed to that one?

Im not sure what was actually done about it i carried the bitch off the field when it happened could it was broken without the x-ray. But she is still about just with a slight limp.

Edited by C.green
23 hours ago, shaaark said:

But you'll also get people saying they have big, strong, robustly built dogs that hardly ever have injuries, even after they've had a good few bumps whilst working. When people tell me that, I just think their dog couldn't be that fast, and/or didn't hit any object hard enough.

Watch people's reaction to this post now A W lol ?

fair enough  mate ,  it does make sense    the bigger the dog   they can get hurt that bit more . Buck my big 1x gsd x grey  had his  shoulder  injury  when he was 12 months old, he jumped of a wall   and ripped his shoulder muscles , gave him 2 months rest  , and he worked ok since    6 this august , if hard night lamping he feels it in there next day, give 5 days rest and he ready to go again , and had some great night with him in them 5 years . But i often   thought if he been say Bryn size 25 in 60lb , would the injury been as bad ?, Buck always been bit reckless when chasing his quarry , in the lamp  and in the day going flat out in woods,i did think maybe his size+ power  might have helped  him somtimes with rough/ tumble , or maybe he been lucky . my next lurcher will be  1x beddy x grey   if i ever get another  dog, they nice size  22-25 in 40 -60lb  , like old Bryn they hardy type  nice size , seem to go on for ever  . lol

42 minutes ago, C.green said:

I think big or small strong or thin i think it mainly comes downnto how committed the dog is. The gooduns that try hard allways seem to come a cropper. it amazes me what they can recover from.

A6BD0D36-868E-44D3-ABC1-7AADF7496C27.thumb.jpeg.7fc3c10ae28c5723732d713c8bd31af5.jpeg

Looks pretty bad that mate. How long ago was it, and did she make a full recovery?

19 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Looks pretty bad that mate. How long ago was it, and did she make a full recovery?

I dont think any animal could make what you call a full recovery from that but the dogs still alive n getting about. I seen sommat jump infront of her and still put in a better run than what some dogs do with 4 legs ?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Those drainage cuts that the forestry make when they plant up a new area of moorland......  those scare me. Once the heather grows a bit they just disappear. So far the dogs have been lucky but I've fallen in the b*st*rds loads of times:(. If ever a dog hits one wrong when going flat out it'll do damage for sure.

I’ve seen this happen to someone’s dog before. He was lamping farmers fields and his Saluki cross ran the field and didn’t come back he was searching for the dog and the farmer came out giving him a good few words for lamping. He came back next day but couldn’t find him. He was found a few days later in the ditch. Looks like he didn’t see it and broke his neck hitting the ditch head on and full speed. I had to break the news to him as he didn’t live in the immediate area.