Been a funny day! After work collected my ugartachea sidelock ejector from a dealer. He had it to sell but it didn't so I got it back.

It's always been difficult to shoot as it's way to tight choked. .729" bores with .685" and .700" constrictions.

I set about them with a reamer and now they are .695" & .705". Still tight but within a normal range for the bores.

Any way I was keen to try it so squeezed into my cartridge belt and also included two hullmax 34g #4. I love #4 shot for fox's.

Well as soon as I got up the hill a pheasant was spreading the word!

Sure enough there was a fox down a hedge and I had no rifle!

It took me ages to come up with a strategy and in the end meant simply stalking down the hedge directly. I had deduced by the presence of magpies that the fox was feasting on a kill and it was staying put.

At what turned to be 45paces I promised that the next time it sits up I shoot. I also now could see the kill, a chicken.

Shot one flattened it but it crawled towards the hedge but before it made it shot two was discharged.

I released Jess and she retrieved the dead fox from the hedge and then went nuts how she does.

This vixen has been killing chickens for months (understandably) and I am afraid this was coming!

The pictures.

IMG_20180629_220351.jpg

IMG_20180629_220944.jpg

U.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

Nicely done! :thumbs: I've always used #1s on Charlie, but I'm a belt and braces man.

Not sure I've got any #4, probably the odd box somewhere, but any load will do the job in the right situation!

To be honest I have used a lot of different loads on fox simply due to the circumstances, but most are with rifle anyway! :thumbs:

• Like 1

U. Can I pick your brains, not being much of a shot gun shooter I’ve always used heavier shells for fox, I tend to use 40g 3’s mini mags or 50g BB Winnie’s, is there any benefit using a lighter load or does it just come down to pattern, if this is a stupid question tell me I’m an idiot ?

5E4AE01E-4B45-49EE-8FE7-54B06728A312.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Stavross said:

U. Can I pick your brains, not being much of a shot gun shooter I’ve always used heavier shells for fox, I tend to use 40g 3’s mini mags or 50g BB Winnie’s, is there any benefit using a lighter load or does it just come down to pattern, if this is a stupid question tell me I’m an idiot ?

5E4AE01E-4B45-49EE-8FE7-54B06728A312.jpeg

Your no idiot buddy.

I learnt years ago fox's ain't to difficult to kill with a shot gun provided they are side on when shot.

Small shot does get across the rib cage easily and with a dense pattern compared to larger shot deflation of the lungs is quick. A couple to the head causes concussion even if the scull is not penetrated.

I honestly don't recommend a forward facing shot over 25yds with any cartridge!

I am going to tell anyone their choice of shot is wrong but for me I prefer a pattern and it's accumulated effects over two or three strikes from larger shot and magnum loads.

Recovery time is faster with standard loads so getting a second shot in is faster.

#5,4or3 and no more than 36g is plenty in my book, done the 3" #1, BB, AAA and larger and I found it of no advantage.

Remember, the rib cage of a fox is not much bigger than a hare's rib cage, what would you shoot hare's with, 46g of BB?

U.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense, on the odd occasion I get to go hare shooting I use a 35g 5’s and when you hit them you stop them, this was the last young one I shot with the shotgun using a mini mag and although it’s only small it did run on a bit

C76C6DE1-CF45-426E-B66D-C14054CE9F10.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't like shooting fox with less than BB personally but have done a number of times.

Having a terrier blooded dog about like your Jess imo is an essential part of foxing with shotguns. I remember one particular time when my little bitch bolted a vixen from a drain which I rolled with 40gm of #3 broadside and was very disappointed to see it run off wounded. My little black bitch found it and caught it hundreds of yards away.

Middle of last season we were beating the last drive and I was working my cocker and letting the black bitch do her thing, business like as f**k no need for my attention. She had nipped down a small earth in the corner of the spinney and at the end of the drive I went to find her baying like f**k, then another beater holla's "FOX!". She's bolted it. It's rolled by a gun but totally inadequate cartridge and this fox is off and gone. Probably 400 yards away we found it in a thick hedge and she flushed it to be finished.

They're such an asset with the shotgun. Nice post and vid UD. :good: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Sometimes a rangey dog comes into its own!

100% agree, but I don't have the time to devote to a dog and my life!

My lad bought a shooting dog, only to find it was a complete tart, but we all love it just the same! :thumbs:

Still got a couple of boxes of Hymax in the safe ,but on fox drives we tend to use No 5 shot and its taken 4 foxes cleanly but all under 25yds and all engine room shots .As everyone says a close range engine room is the best as its a clean kill we all aim for .There,s a variety of BB  and various big sized cartridges out there but 36g of no5 will do the job as will .22l/r or .243 .Nobody wants a wounded animal so imho the 2nd shot should always be ready to be applied as the best shot in the world cant allow for an animal turning/ducking or moving at the last second .

And Jess is a cracking gundog ,she,l never win Crufts but she doesnt need too her work is obvious quality 

• Like 1