COLLIE X GREYHOUNDS...ENDANGERED SPECIES...

7 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Shame collie lurcher forum finished......there were a few dogs on there from a certain sire at hancocks..the names on the tip of my tongue.....he tended to throw rough coated pups and had a mix of border-beardie in them. I know the owners worked there dogs well and were super happy with them. I would have had one from that sire rather than a chucked together half cross collie greyhound advertised in the countryman weekly....which in my eyes isn't really tested working material.....it's a gamble. At least with the Hancock stuff when the forum was up and running you had some genuine feedback form the owners.....bit more of a gamble now.

Correct there mate, was a good forum, which you could get a good idea of the more successful sires that threw better pups than others, workwise.

7 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

But if I wanted a collie greyhound first cross.....no matter what anybody thought on here....I would have a good look at his stuff. From my experience as much stick as Hancock gets he does a  decent job compared to a lot of lurcher breeders out there......in fact 75% of the people I've had contact with who breed lurchers are lying clueless one trip ponies....sorry, but it's true.

Correct again mate. Compared to some of the absolute shitholes I've been to to see some litters, hancocks is like paradise

7 hours ago, japs eye said:

oh dont worry shortstraw i dont give a fukk what anyone thinks of hancock or me getting a pup from him infact ive just put my name on a 3/4 bred bitch out of there stud dog merlin.

Good decision mate, you have as much chance as the next person of getting a decent pup,  of exactly the cross/type you want. My lad presently has a young dog by merlin on the go, and he's shaping up nicely. We also know of many other merlin bred dogs from hancocks that are already keeping their 'working' owners  very happy. Good luck with it mate ?

• Like 1

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I often read threads concerning collie crosses with a degree of confusion . More to do with the sometimes negative comments that relate to the border collie , and often mention is made of the far supe

After many a wasted trip to see so called collie x greyhound litters I decided to go to Hancocks for a pup, she is entering her 6 season now, and is a credit to my team, she has supplied us with some

I think you are right there Roybo... I shall always keep my own home-bred, watered down Collie hybrids, they suit me for the ground I hunt over, but most lads coming into the game today seem to w

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I’m not crabbing any breeding, just interested to know what makes these Alex bred dogs good?

I wouldn't know as I never saw one run but the people on Colliecurs that owned them liked them as workers. 

(So far as I can tell from looking at the site they no longer have Alex but do have a son of his by a sister of Delboy, woody etc.)

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Correct there mate, was a good forum, which you could get a good idea of the more successful sires that threw better pups than others, workwise.

Correct again mate. Compared to some of the absolute shitholes I've been to to see some litters, hancocks is like paradise

Good decision mate, you have as much chance as the next person of getting a decent pup,  of exactly the cross/type you want. My lad presently has a young dog by merlin on the go, and he's shaping up nicely. We also know of many other merlin bred dogs from hancocks that are already keeping their 'working' owners  very happy. Good luck with it mate ?

thanks shaaark.

• Like 1

I had  a 3/4  1/8 beardie 1/8 border off Alex or luke in 2002 and was a absolute speed machine did everything didn't start smashing fox single handed till about 3 year old took them around 2 and 1/2 single handed but came in to his own.best fox dog I've ever seen was a Enoch bred 3/8 5/8 and seen some awesome dogs over the years but nothing touched that for fox

• Like 1
10 hours ago, japs eye said:

oh dont worry shortstraw i dont give a fukk what anyone thinks of hancock or me getting a pup from him infact ive just put my name on a 3/4 bred bitch out of there stud dog merlin.

Fair play mate Least your be getting sorted the cross you want starting point for future plans mate if it turns out a good un 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

It was a litter of threequarter border collie and a quarter greyhound. A couple of people on here had pups.

They are 5/8 collie 3/8 grey .. 

was hoping to get a pup out of one of them but the mating wasn’t successful.. 

• Like 1

The collie curs site was OK.. Abit slow tbh. Ye there was a few working Hancock but nothing much posted on there for a while. I helped run a Hancock working page, but it went sour and we closed it Down.but on there you got alot more Hancock owners and alot of honest posts.. Poor and very good dogs on there. More good than bad tbh. 

I keep in touch with lads up and down the country that own dogs from Hancock.. And that's why I went with merlin bred dog.. As merlin and Arthur seem. To produce strong fast dogs that consistently throw decent dogs. 

Wouldn't have a beardie border off them. As they throw inconsistent sizes and little bit of a lottery... As the Arthur bitches usually around 24 dogs 26 to 28 and same. For the merlin bred 3 quarters. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Somewhereyournot said:

The collie curs site was OK.. Abit slow tbh. Ye there was a few working Hancock but nothing much posted on there for a while. I helped run a Hancock working page, but it went sour and we closed it Down.but on there you got alot more Hancock owners and alot of honest posts.. Poor and very good dogs on there. More good than bad tbh. 

I keep in touch with lads up and down the country that own dogs from Hancock.. And that's why I went with merlin bred dog.. As merlin and Arthur seem. To produce strong fast dogs that consistently throw decent dogs. 

Wouldn't have a beardie border off them. As they throw inconsistent sizes and little bit of a lottery... As the Arthur bitches usually around 24 dogs 26 to 28 and same. For the merlin bred 3 quarters. 

And the beardie/border types do ya f****n head in! Lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shaaark said:

And the beardie/border types do ya f****n head in! Lol

?  I've only got experience of one and she's  fine. Quiet and well behaved in the house and in the field. Only thing I'd fault is she's a bit "careful" when after foxes but I don't hunt them deliberately these days. Every border cross I've owned bar one has taken them naturally.

Actually, now I think of it she was a bit sensitive about electric fences for a while and that's annoying here because most rabbits live in stone walls which are lined both sides with shock wires. When she was younger she twice struck at rabbits and got her mouth round a wire so can't blame her really. It's a wonder she still chases at all⚡?

Anyway she's over it now and she's right handy to me as a nose dog hunting woodland and still gets plenty rabbits on the lamp.

• Like 2