Daytime badger

Quite a strange thing happened to me this morning when I was out on an early  mooch, due to the current heatwave been getting out a bit earlier to avoid the heat and on my way back to the van around 9am I encountered a badger out and about, after a couple of interesting minutes getting the dogs on there leads I parted the long grass to see what all the fuss was about and there was a black and white face looking up at me he turned away and carried on through the hedge into the woods, but in over 40 years of being out and about its the first one I,ve ever encountered in broad daylight so was wondering why, my first thought would be it's hard finding food and water when the grounds baked solid and the ditch,s are bone dry, anyone else have any clues as to why he would be out in the sunshine??? He did,nt appear sick or injured as he ran off  ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like my ex missus!?

in the summers as hot as this ,they are know to sleep out in the cover...i found this out over the years when hounds flushed them when exercising during the early morning and when you get to where the

I’ve seen a couple this week in the afternoon. They were both rooting around , scratching and feeding on something, there is a stream near the sett they came from so I don’t think it’s thirst . I beli

Posted Images

As the years go on it is more and more likely to trip over a badger. Must be the increase in numbers and they are just getting braver. Years ago it was rare to dam near never happening to see a day time one. Much preferred it back then 

• Like 1

in the summers as hot as this ,they are know to sleep out in the cover...i found this out over the years when hounds flushed them when exercising during the early morning and when you get to where they were risen from there'd be a ball of grass/hay they had for a bed ...i had the unfortunate experience last year of my saluki x flushing one from a gathering of furz and high grass...lets say it was ''EMOTIONAL''....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lad I work with was playing golf last week and his ball ran into a ditch. Says when he went to get it there was a badger sitting there next to the ball. He said it didn’t look sick or injured and just wandered off. I wondered if it was maybe one of last year’s evicted males that was lying up there as it didn’t have a home sett. Or maybe it was just rubbish at golf too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

in the summers as hot as this ,they are know to sleep out in the cover...i found this out over the years when hounds flushed them when exercising during the early morning and when you get to where they were risen from there'd be a ball of grass/hay they had for a bed ...i had the unfortunate experience last year of my saluki x flushing one from a gathering of furz and high grass...lets say it was ''EMOTIONAL''....

You may be right as it seemed to be under the grass, I had a lurcher and two terriers with me so I understand your emotions ?

Funny story with one them me and ideation off here were mooch one morning I had just had my knee op so was move much dogs shot off he had to chase after them and I kept asking what’s Happening because I could hear him flapping haha to be told numour times to shut the f**k up haha 

• Haha 1

I'd say it was looking for a drink .Few encounters over the years including one that followed me through a wood ,middle of a wood .Old boys here used to say a badger out  in the daylight meant he was sick and looking for somewhere to die  it I don't believe this at all .It's only in very hot weather I've seen them out. 

• Like 1

Recon it was hungry, The ground is hard as rock and one of their main foods is earth worms, they will be deep. What with the very short nights being close to the longest day recon their struggling to find enough food. 

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1