What can’t you catch on maggot??

Double maggot and a stick float fishing for dace and roach...

first...

4F379B08-EC7C-47BE-BC70-D1C24F4BF39B.png

A nice little mullet..

then...

968A2B8F-F87B-436C-BD7B-17A44957932B.thumb.png.58cf15e0af9991a2f54c881848f119a7.png

A little bass!

thats a first for me a bass on the maggot!!

nice evening fish with my lad..

759D10B8-944E-4165-82AD-D83185B42591.thumb.png.83e0e5b5a87bac008e6d615dea8e1e7c.png

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 18

This is a long way up the river, probably 6 miles or so from the estuary..

But the schoolies run up on the high tide, we used to catch them.as kids on maddies (small rag worm) ours was the last house on the estate and backed onto the river. We'd camp out, catch small bass and cook them on the camp fire, long before size limits (or at least my knowledge on them).

There's a real cross over of fish here, you can catch big bream, Chub, dace roach, carp and pike....or mullet, bass, flounder, sea trout and salmon.

My cousin nets further down the river for salmon, and after that season traps eels, nets bass and gilthead bream.. over the years he has caught huge bream and carp in hit seine nets, at this point the water is very brackish/salty and you will catch gilthead bream...

It's a funny place to fish 

• Like 3

Had a guided day a couple of years ago with Mike Bryant near Newquay, caught some small bass but a chap next to us had a huge Gilthead .....I’ve never seen them before, certainly don’t get them up here, look out of place like they should be in the med !

20 hours ago, NEWKID said:

But the schoolies run up on the high tide, we used to catch them.as kids on maddies (small rag worm) ours was the last house on the estate and backed onto the river. We'd camp out, catch small bass and cook them on the camp fire, long before size limits (or at least my knowledge on them).

There's a real cross over of fish here, you can catch big bream, Chub, dace roach, carp and pike....or mullet, bass, flounder, sea trout and salmon.

My cousin nets further down the river for salmon, and after that season traps eels, nets bass and gilthead bream.. over the years he has caught huge bream and carp in hit seine nets, at this point the water is very brackish/salty and you will catch gilthead bream...

Sounds bit like what I’ve heard of the Severn estuary , there’s couple places where you can catch saltwater species on the high tide. Keep meaning to try it out and there’s a fishing shop in Lydney stocking bait now.

22 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Your lucky, our rivers don't hold any course fish at all. We get gilts in a few spots but most go into Cornwall to target them

11 hours ago, bell said:

Does your cousin make a living out of it mate or is it just for pleasure and beer money ?

He makes a few quid out of it mate, he makes good money out of smoked eels, 

He's a painter and decorator by trade but the fishing is top up money, it's been in our family for years on the Exe, there are only 3 boats running out now, all traditional seine netting for the salmon.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, bell said:

Had a guided day a couple of years ago with Mike Bryant near Newquay, caught some small bass but a chap next to us had a huge Gilthead .....I’ve never seen them before, certainly don’t get them up here, look out of place like they should be in the med !

They are visitors from the med, seem to be more showing every year, they like estuaries and the little tributaries that flow in... good fighting fish and very nice eating