First cross Beddy Whippet

1 hour ago, gnipper said:

F1s will never suffer from it but can be carriers so putting 2 beddy blooded dogs together it can crop up. Probably unlikely to in a lurcher with other breeds in but you never know 

But surely you’d test a straight beddy at the start to see if it’s a carrier before breeding f1s that could breed potential carriers. Gotta be worth a check tho if your breeding 2x f1s together to get them tested just for piece of mind 

1AC066D7-EB99-4BEF-996A-D6201F303B89.jpeg

Edited by poxon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

putting her to a good Whippet, to get a three quarter pup for myself. 

not the best of pics sorry,bit hot out there for her with that coat lol

mines 13 months.marking at 9 months old.only caught 2 daytime rabbits so far.got her for ferreting & daytime mooching.this will be her first season come September. 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, gnipper said:

F1s will never suffer from it but can be carriers so putting 2 beddy blooded dogs together it can crop up. Probably unlikely to in a lurcher with other breeds in but you never know 

Lad I got my bitch from had his bedy tested for copper t ,all breeders should have pups tested but I never herd occurred lurcher having it ?

13 hours ago, fred90 said:

looked at a few and had some good advice from a member on here. had dogs 35 years but never bred a litter. so it will all be new to me. 

what type of whippet you wanting over her fred.....ped whippet....or a non ped hard blood racing whippet

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

You won’t know them, not sure quite how it’s bred, but there’s a bunch of mike brown stuff in there im sure. He’s a handy dog. 

when you say up north....which county

I don’t know much about whippets or beddy crosses but have been out with a few beddy crosses.  1/2 and 1/4 bred. Ones I go out with are great for ferreting and lamping. I like having them on the hills with us. They will hit any cover and love to hunt. A good whippet was put over the 1/2 cross and all the off spring seem to be doing well. Mate kept the smallest bitch back, she’s 19tts and isn’t scared of anything. I put this down to him using the right whippet. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

what type of whippet you wanting over her fred.....ped whippet....or a non ped hard blood racing whippet

I have been undecided on that tomo. some say kc have a better nose and stamina. others say non ped. all I want is a good working dog that's catching rabbits. I have no interest in lure coursing or rosettes. 

• Like 2
Just now, fred90 said:

I have been undecided on that tomo. some say kc have a better nose and stamina. others say non ped. all I want is a good working dog that's catching rabbits. I have no interest in lure coursing or rosettes. 

even if you went non ped.....i still dont think it would be good enough for either ....them race dogs are almost pure running dog these days...

2 hours ago, white van man said:

I don’t know much about whippets or beddy crosses but have been out with a few beddy crosses.  1/2 and 1/4 bred. Ones I go out with are great for ferreting and lamping. I like having them on the hills with us. They will hit any cover and love to hunt. A good whippet was put over the 1/2 cross and all the off spring seem to be doing well. Mate kept the smallest bitch back, she’s 19tts and isn’t scared of anything. I put this down to him using the right whippet. 

That was some whippet that ? the one I know of now is very similar. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

That was some whippet that ? the one I know of now is very similar. 

I know you have to ha e the right beddy blood but the whippet blood is just as important. I wouldn’t know the difference between ped, non ped etc. I would just want one doing its job well 

46 minutes ago, TOMO said:

even if you went non ped.....i still dont think it would be good enough for either ....them race dogs are almost pure running dog these days...

Yes mate. what I meant was I have no interest in dogs that are doing lure coursing and winning rosettes, I want a stud dog that's a good rabbit dog. 

• Like 1