First cross Beddy Whippet

37 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Beddy/greyhound would be a better choice.

yep ,  never seen the need to put whippet in the mix,  the 1x bedy x grey ,  not over big dogs  22 -25in  40-60 lb   nice size for most stuff , plenty of pace and agility , and good temps the ones i seen, if i was after a beddyx , it be 1 x beddy x grey  be spot on .

• Like 3

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

putting her to a good Whippet, to get a three quarter pup for myself. 

not the best of pics sorry,bit hot out there for her with that coat lol

mines 13 months.marking at 9 months old.only caught 2 daytime rabbits so far.got her for ferreting & daytime mooching.this will be her first season come September. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Tb brutally honest, then putting them on anythin other than rabbits an rats is not only illegal but a bit of a shit one on the dog and we as owners should know better, if anything else is on ye agenda then get a more suitable mutt ?

Yea that’s fair enough. I already have a Sal bull grey which is 24 tts which is better on the longer runs. The initial thought when buying the Beddy Whippet was only for rabbits as wanted a quick reaction dog whilst out bushing. Seen as they are only really for rabbits wouldn’t a straight whippet of been a better choice or would you say the first cross is still more than capable when in its prime? Another thing is why do people use the Beddy Whippet rather than just a straight whippet on bunnies? What does the Beddy give which makes it better than a straight whippet?

• Like 1

I really rate bedlington blood in a lurcher, I really do believe the bedlington greyhound f1 is the all rounder as long as it's bred for work not money, I had bedlington whippet in 80s and she took hundreds of Rabbits and she would rat as good as any terrier. Atb 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

I really rate bedlington blood in a lurcher, I really do believe the bedlington greyhound f1 is the all rounder as long as it's bred for work not money, I had bedlington whippet in 80s and she took hundreds of Rabbits and she would rat as good as any terrier. Atb 

Did you have a first cross Beddy whippet?

1 hour ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Did you have a first cross Beddy whippet?

Yes mate, had two, dog and bitch, the dog made 21tts and the bitch 19, mostly used for ferreting, lamping and the dog would take fox single handed, the bitch took to feather and took pheasants and ducks that got to close. The bitch made some terriers look stupid on rats, I really don't think you can get a better x for ferreting, mooching. Atb 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Yea that’s fair enough. I already have a Sal bull grey which is 24 tts which is better on the longer runs. The initial thought when buying the Beddy Whippet was only for rabbits as wanted a quick reaction dog whilst out bushing. Seen as they are only really for rabbits wouldn’t a straight whippet of been a better choice or would you say the first cross is still more than capable when in its prime? Another thing is why do people use the Beddy Whippet rather than just a straight whippet on bunnies? What does the Beddy give which makes it better than a straight whippet?

Gives better coat, bigger bones, nose the whippet as a good nose but they rip easy were a bedy whippet as thicker skin and cope with cold better than whippet, I'm a fan of the whippet and the bedlington, as coney dogs there hard to beat, atb

• Like 1

Did you find the dog to be built heavier than the bitch. My father in law has the bitch out the same litter which is smaller and lighter though she’s more agile because of it. Mine is around 20tts @ 11 months. What age did your dog start to find his feet. Mine is still abit puppy like on his feet where the birth seems to have nailed it already. Not sure if it’s to do with his extra weight and size.

48 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Gives better coat, bigger bones, nose the whippet as a good nose but they rip easy were a bedy whippet as thicker skin and cope with cold better than whippet, I'm a fan of the whippet and the bedlington, as coney dogs there hard to beat, atb

sent a pm !

I had two litter sisters both 18 1/4” tts one was lighter framed than the other& faster. Both good ferreting, mouching & lamping  dogs. Worked them as a pair doubled up & they caught well above their pay grade. Caught there first rbt at 4 1/2 months old & never looked back. Bought them as 3/4 whpt 1/4 beddy but they were actually 5/8 3/8. Had to have lighter framed one pts 16mths ago & the  heavier built one worked ok on her own but not the same as when doubled up. She’s now retired but enjoys her daily walks mouching etc but 9 &1/2 now & like her owner overweight. But as already said i sometimes felt if they were only 4” Taller. Great little workers if bred right. Atb

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dinosaurs said:

I had two litter sisters both 18 1/4” tts one was lighter framed than the other& faster. Both good ferreting, mouching & lamping  dogs. Worked them as a pair doubled up & they caught well above their pay grade. Caught there first rbt at 4 1/2 months old & never looked back. Bought them as 3/4 whpt 1/4 beddy but they were actually 5/8 3/8. Had to have lighter framed one pts 16mths ago & the  heavier built one worked ok on her own but not the same as when doubled up. She’s now retired but enjoys her daily walks mouching etc but 9 &1/2 now & like her owner overweight. But as already said i sometimes felt if they were only 4” Taller. Great little workers if bred right. Atb

That’s it these days. It’s abit hit and miss I suppose just got to hope for the best out of them. Will soon know where I’m at this season. I’ll be running the Beddy Whippet alongside my Sal Bull Grey so hopefully together they should do ok. If you was to get another pup what would you go for knowing what you know now?

26 minutes ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

That’s it these days. It’s abit hit and miss I suppose just got to hope for the best out of them. Will soon know where I’m at this season. I’ll be running the Beddy Whippet alongside my Sal Bull Grey so hopefully together they should do ok. If you was to get another pup what would you go for knowing what you know now?

Beddy wpt grey. Atb

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Did you find the dog to be built heavier than the bitch. My father in law has the bitch out the same litter which is smaller and lighter though she’s more agile because of it. Mine is around 20tts @ 11 months. What age did your dog start to find his feet. Mine is still abit puppy like on his feet where the birth seems to have nailed it already. Not sure if it’s to do with his extra weight and size.

They was both catching well by 15 month old, really they are still pupils until 18. Months, you'res will be OK just take your time, atb 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

They was both catching well by 15 month old, really they are still pupils until 18. Months, you'res will be OK just take your time, atb 

Cheers pal it’s my second Lurcher so not got much to compare it to. Thanks for your input mate it’s appreciated. He’s retrieving well on ground and out of water so just waiting for the real thing now. Like you say he’ll be ready when he’s ready. Cheers

Great little dogs had some fun with one I had more day work he would take anything day or night worked with terriers on rock piles , ferreted hunt a line mark up get up trees went to ground don'thalf miss the old boypost-65098-0-50368200-1479129484_thumb.jpgpost-65098-0-82783200-1479129511_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tank34 said:

Great little dogs had some fun with one I had more day work he would take anything day or night worked with terriers on rock piles , ferreted hunt a line mark up get up trees went to ground don'thalf miss the old boypost-65098-0-50368200-1479129484_thumb.jpgpost-65098-0-82783200-1479129511_thumb.jpg

Looks like the two I had in 80s, had some fun with them, the bitch dropped to ground plenty of times, she would fold her legs and get into some tight place's but she always got the job done. Atb, love the old pics,