.223 does the damage

On 10/07/2018 at 23:21, Alsone said:

Because self defence is their primary usage, at least in countries like the states. For dispatch, I doubt the calibre is that critical as any handgun at point blank is going to be capable of killing. I'm pretty sure vets dispatch injured horses and cattle with a .22 pistol.

I know a chap who's had a hail of 9mm from his Glock bounce off of a Longhorn! It needed a 25-06 to fix. Caliber can definitely matter with the big stuff.

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f***ing hell the shit riflemen argue about. Calibre tarts! 

Sorry it's a bit graphic  if its two much please take  down mods  this just shows the damage of .223 v max 55 grain , at 140 /180 yards  both took off the same field , with the mouses c

No, and a pistol, single shot or revolver, 6"+ barrel, 22, 32,36 or 357. .45 if a muzzleloader pistol.

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:21, Alsone said:

Because self defence is their primary usage, at least in countries like the states. For dispatch, I doubt the calibre is that critical as any handgun at point blank is going to be capable of killing. I'm pretty sure vets dispatch injured horses and cattle with a .22 pistol.

Not as first choice, they will use something heavier, but a couple of taps in the right place with a .22lr will do the job, however, there is margin for error that a .357 or 38 special will reduce considerably.

Energy is lost on the .22lr in revolvers due to chamber/barrel gap and length of barrel, so they will tend to be a fair bit down on a rifle with the same ammo.

Anyway, .223 does the damage and is very useful!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Deker said:

Not as first choice, they will use something heavier, but a couple of taps in the right place with a .22lr will do the job, however, there is margin for error that a .357 or 38 special will reduce considerably.

Energy is lost on the .22lr in revolvers due to chamber/barrel gap and length of barrel, so they will tend to be a fair bit down on a rifle with the same ammo.

Anyway, .223 does the damage and is very useful!

I know my firearms department wouldn’t grant a 22 for dispatch and recommend 32  . With the right ammunition you can dispatch most anything. 

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I know my firearms department wouldn’t grant a 22 for dispatch and recommend 32  . With the right ammunition you can dispatch most anything. 

Mine does, I have a .22lr Pistol and .357, I'm also on TV Police Humane Animal Dispatch team, its horses for courses if you excuse the pun. :thumbs:

Just the same, if I'm called to deal with a roadside deer (for example) the .357 may well be the tool that comes to mind, but upon arrival it may just turn out the situation is better dealt with by the .22, or a rifle or shotgun and in the very odd instance even a knife! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Has there been any loosening of pistol regulations since 96? :hmm:

Yes and no. We get (with good reason) to use pistol cartridge carbines or rifles in the field. It's gone from a thousand hoops to only one hundred we have to jump through now.

Still won't let me use a muzzleloader rifle to hunt with though!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Has there been any loosening of pistol regulations since 96? :hmm:

There was some changes to the guidance a couple of years ago and getting a pistol is a tiny bit easier, but this will only apply "generally" to professionals and humane dispatch, it will not cover semi auto, just revolvers and then only 2 shot.

Bisley, after protracted negotiation with the Home Office, now has a facility to allow Team GB pistol shooters to actually practice in the UK rather than having to travel abroad, no idea how that works.

• Like 1

I think that the system works pretty well . If you need a pistol for humane dispatch, you can get one . I cannot see why anyone other than keepers , slaughter men , deer managers would want or need a pistol. I also don’t see why anyone other than the police or military need automatic weapons. I like field sports and and enjoy shotgun shooting, and I use rifles for deer management and vermin control . But I would not want to go and shoot at those human shape targets with pistols and machine guns , although some people probably would.  America has a very different gun culture to Britain . 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I think that the system works pretty well . If you need a pistol for humane dispatch, you can get one . I cannot see why anyone other than keepers , slaughter men , deer managers would want or need a pistol. I also don’t see why anyone other than the police or military need automatic weapons. I like field sports and and enjoy shotgun shooting, and I use rifles for deer management and vermin control . But I would not want to go and shoot at those human shape targets with pistols and machine guns , although some people probably would.  America has a very different gun culture to Britain . 

Same here but I would actually hunt with one of I could.

39 minutes ago, Underdog said:

39 minutes ago, Underdog said:

And I used to shoot sparrows with a gat gun when I was young .... each to their own ???

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Scrap that post I thought you wanted to hunt with a pistol . I read back and saw you want to hunt with a muzzle loaded rifle . Doh 

No, and a pistol, single shot or revolver, 6"+ barrel, 22, 32,36 or 357. .45 if a muzzleloader pistol.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I think that the system works pretty well . If you need a pistol for humane dispatch, you can get one . I cannot see why anyone other than keepers , slaughter men , deer managers,  Pest Controllers, Vets, Racecourse Staff, Hunt Managers, Target Shooters etc., etc., would want or need a pistol. I also don’t see why anyone other than the police or military need automatic weapons. I like field sports and and enjoy shotgun shooting, and I use rifles for deer management and vermin control . But I would not want to go and shoot at those human shape targets with pistols and machine guns , although some people probably would.  America has a very different gun culture to Britain . 

For the same reason I had one when I was 15, and the same reason why MANY people have rifles today with no intention of shooting anything alive, for TARGET work! :thumbs:

Also added more groups to your list of trades needing a pistol :thumbs:

Edit:   Crumbs, just noticed this was still the .223 does the damage thread, think we have moved too far away!

Edited by Deker
2 hours ago, Deker said:

Crumbs, just noticed this was still the .223 does the damage thread, think we have moved too far away!

Interesting thread all the same. :laugh:

As shovel-leaner said the culture on either side of the Atlantic is completely different but I had heard that pistol regs had been slightly relaxed in certain areas but I've not followed it too closely as I have enough state and federal paperwork to contend with at this end to show more than a passing interest in what's happening in the UK. I don't think there's enough opinion to change the respective jurisdictions attitude to firearms either.

It's a shame because we can demonstrate over and over that responsible sportsmen aren't a danger to society.