.223 does the damage

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f***ing hell the shit riflemen argue about. Calibre tarts! 

Sorry it's a bit graphic  if its two much please take  down mods  this just shows the damage of .223 v max 55 grain , at 140 /180 yards  both took off the same field , with the mouses c

No, and a pistol, single shot or revolver, 6"+ barrel, 22, 32,36 or 357. .45 if a muzzleloader pistol.

Posted Images

Funnily enough i had more runners with a .223 than anything else despite big exit wounds. I put it down to the bullet not travelling fast enough to fragment inside the fox and fragmenting on the exit instead. Whether that theory was correct or not i don't know, but i have had no such problems with the .204. There is rarely an exit wound, the calibre seems to disipate all ite energy inside the fox causing massive trauma .

Spot on.

Regards  the other chap, it's not the calibre mate. So many variables can affect bullet performance. Rifling itself can cause issues with bullet performance. One rifle I had would turn premium game bullets into explosive varmint bullets! The same bullet in a different barrel behaved perfectly!

U.

• Like 1

I use a 223 and use 50 grain sako game heads . I have found that they perform well enough for me . It always amazes me how far a fox will run with a hole in its rib cage you could put your fist in ! I think it’s just Adrenalin . I’ve got this theory that the game heads are a bit more forgiving if there is a bit of grass or stalk in the way , as apposed to a ballistic tip . I don’t push range too much and rarely shoot anything further than 200 meters . I’m kind of old fashioned in that once I’ve found something that works , I leave it alone .

• Like 2
On 25/06/2018 at 21:42, ianm said:

Funnily enough i had more runners with a .223 than anything else despite big exit wounds. I put it down to the bullet not travelling fast enough to fragment inside the fox and fragmenting on the exit instead. Whether that theory was correct or not i don't know, but i have had no such problems with the .204. There is rarely an exit wound, the calibre seems to disipate all ite energy inside the fox causing massive trauma .

On 26/06/2018 at 06:00, Underdog said:

Spot on.

Regards  the other chap, it's not the calibre mate. So many variables can affect bullet performance. Rifling itself can cause issues with bullet performance. One rifle I had would turn premium game bullets into explosive varmint bullets! The same bullet in a different barrel behaved perfectly!

U.

if he switched from 55g too 40g bullets from the 223 I believe the result would be the same as with the .204. 

• Like 2
On 01/07/2018 at 09:47, riflehunter583 said:

if he switched from 55g too 40g bullets from the 223 I believe the result would be the same as with the .204. 

Wasn't that always Ackley's theory - velocity trumps all. In fact I'm pretty sure he said that over 4,000fps was the key ingredient for any cartridge for killing power.

32 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Wasn't that always Ackley's theory - velocity trumps all. In fact I'm pretty sure he said that over 4,000fps was the key ingredient for any cartridge for killing power.

On that basis most centrefires will struggle to kill! :laugh:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Deker said:

On that basis most centrefires will struggle to kill! :laugh:

Yeah I'm quite well aware most CF rounds fail to achieve anything like 4,000 fps. However, I'm only recounting my understanding of Ackley's theory which I believe suggested that at velocities above 4,000fps, there was another effect to bullet impact above that of the normal hydrostatic shock and expansion. You can probably check his theories by a bit of googling. I believe the aim of many his rounds was to try and achieve those speeds and to avoid magnum loads which I believe he thought were noisy and wasteful. However, this is my recollection from reading a bit on him a while ago, and I could wrong in some theories. I don't claim to be an Ackley expert.

Whether the velocity theory is true or not, it's difficult to say. However, a 32gr and 40gr .204 create explosive expansion way beyond that of say a .223, and a .22-250 also has impressive damage. As you're no doubt aware, the little .204 reaches over 4,000fps in 32gr, and 3,900 in 40gr. .22-250, is equally up there.

• Like 1

I am an Ackley fan but actually not an uber high velocity fan.

It tests a bullets integrity to much on the way and on the target sometimes!

I have seen many a shallow wound!

Remember, the harder you hit something the harder the force coming back! And if a mouse farts under the passing super fast bullet it's game over!

No give me something under 3000 anyday ?

8 hours ago, Alsone said:

Yeah I'm quite well aware most CF rounds fail to achieve anything like 4,000 fps. However, I'm only recounting my understanding of Ackley's theory which I believe suggested that at velocities above 4,000fps, there was another effect to bullet impact above that of the normal hydrostatic shock and expansion. You can probably check his theories by a bit of googling. I believe the aim of many his rounds was to try and achieve those speeds and to avoid magnum loads which I believe he thought were noisy and wasteful. However, this is my recollection from reading a bit on him a while ago, and I could wrong in some theories. I don't claim to be an Ackley expert.

Whether the velocity theory is true or not, it's difficult to say. However, a 32gr and 40gr .204 create explosive expansion way beyond that of say a .223, and a .22-250 also has impressive damage. As you're no doubt aware, the little .204 reaches over 4,000fps in 32gr, and 3,900 in 40gr. .22-250, is equally up there.

??????????????

So, can't remember, not sure if its true, look it up yourself!

I've also seen the little 204 surface splash on a fox!

Information is king, but the information needs to be accurate, years of experience can often show more that a few pages of supposition!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I agree, 32gr .204 are prone to splash.

So far as Ackley goes, c'mon Deker, you know where the google button is:

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/long-gun-legends-p-o-ackley/

Must admit, the entirely non serious eargesplitten loudenboomer cartridge he developed really has me hooked. Imagine turning up at you local gun club and loading one of these:

(3rd pic down the best) https://imgur.com/gallery/DdeSr