Biggest Racoon I’ve taken

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What fcuk that been living on?? Protein shakes an roids??? huge that

The poor little blue bitch couldn’t stop it, she was hanging off it and it just up and walked off ! I had to let the other bitch in to try and pin the b*****d 

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What fcuk that been living on?? Protein shakes an roids??? huge that

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

I know some people eat Racoon over there do you feed the meat to the dogs?

I have eaten Racoon, it was fed to me without me knowing, it was like Teriyaki beef , but as a rule I don’t eat them or feed them 

2 hours ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Holy crap! Good time of year for them however. Plenty of food and no real struggle to stay warm. I know they lean out a lot up north in the winter

Would they not be much heavier for the winter?

5 hours ago, rob284 said:

Would they not be much heavier for the winter?

I guess there are a lot of variables and to be clear this is a massive coon IMO. But frequently they loose a bit over the winter due to inactivity, lack of food, and trying to stay warm. 

Obviously this depends on where you are. In the south this probably doesn’t matter and applies more towards the northern coon where it gets colder. Also, I don’t know exactly how much they lose, but by the end of the season up here they look pretty tough sometimes.

18 hours ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Holy crap! Good time of year for them however. Plenty of food and no real struggle to stay warm. I know they lean out a lot up north in the winter

I now live in Virginia, this was taken last winter in SW Ontario Canada , millions of acres of corn for the coons to eat

• Like 1

Nice looking coon. But doesn't look around 35lbs. That coon looks like an average size here in the north. But still a good looking coon. And the coon doesn't lean out in the winter month's they fatten up  for the winter. Just curious it looks like it was dead and someone was baiting the dog's to come out from were ever they were at, how did they catch it and how was it dispersed?

1 minute ago, Ace Boone coon said:

Nice looking coon. But doesn't look around 35lbs. That coon looks like an average size here in the north. But still a good looking coon. And the coon doesn't lean out in the winter month's they fatten up  for the winter. Just curious it looks like it was dead and someone was baiting the dog's to come out from were ever they were at, how did they catch it and how was it dispersed?

I’ll show you a pic of the coon we get in late February/early March  around here that aren’t eating high on the hog. You get ones that are in the corn bins or eating some farmers cat food in the barn and they do well but there are a decent amount that turn all yellow and look deflated almost

We're you from yankee? Im from the north and in the winter's we have fat coons here. If i saw a skinny coon in the winter i would think it would sick. Animals know winter is coming and they need the extra fat to help survive the cold. And they dont hibernate persay so there still eating. Maybe harder for them to find food but coons are real resourceful there not stupid.

33 minutes ago, Ace Boone coon said:

We're you from yankee? Im from the north and in the winter's we have fat coons here. If i saw a skinny coon in the winter i would think it would sick. Animals know winter is coming and they need the extra fat to help survive the cold. And they dont hibernate persay so there still eating. Maybe harder for them to find food but coons are real resourceful there not stupid.

MN. Biggest ones I see (in my opinion) are late summer/fall/early winter. Fat and great pelt. Seems like all the ones trapped and hunted then are big. That’s not to say that the tail end of winter they are all small but I find more small ones then IMO. 

Who knows, getting this terrier thing going I might change my tune. Could be just the ones we stumble across later in the winter with the beagles aren’t the best or brightest. The 6 or so I got with terriers last year were 20 lbs or so I’d say on average however