Warning watch the ferrets in this heat

Guest vin

Its hot today and the rest of the week.

I've got kits in hutches in the yard.. but at certain points of the day the sun is hitting the hutches and they are getting very hot in there...the mothers are laid outside the sleeping boxes but the kits are inside and every time they come out for air the mothers take them back in again...lol

I'm doing the usual big plastic bottles in the freezer and trying my best. But unfortunately, like most, I don't have a lot of trees or any shaded area for them to be 100 % out of the sun all day long.

Today I got the fishing umbrella out and an oscillating fan plugged into the extension blowing a nice cool breeze on them.

Any suggestions for a sunscreen to cover an area of about 4-meter square?  

Have a look for a cheap gazebo and alter it / remove the legs and keep the top nice and tight to the frame. You can fasten it to the roof of your court or shorten it and put it up inside it with the hutches underneath 

Putting a sheet of ply or even some tarps or similar on the sides that get hit by the sun will help a bit too

• Like 1

I'm got one of those blue camping tarps suspended few feet above an old hutch as i'm looking after two for my mate. Put some ply with an air gap over the other, just thinking of this problem the other day, Might get a new bit of ply and paint it with silver paint to reflect.

I've another little problem, as I said i'm looking after two of my mates. Well usually I can chuck them all in a run on the front lawn and they play and sleep in the hammock or old carrying box with no lid. Well the larger of my mates ferret okay maybe for an hour but then goes mental and wades into one of mine, the same one of every time. This is not a tiff its a full on mental attack, they been in that run together loads and loads. Just wondered if its the heat making her stroppy.

Cheers Arry 

I use a tarp pinned down with a couple of logs on top of the hutch and the stretched to the ground at a 45 degree angle and pinned down at the ground with a couple of other logs, it allows shade but air can still circulate. 

Also in the big run I put a big bowl of water with stones in it, it seems to encourage them to dip their heads under to retrieve the stones. Even the kits enjoy dipping their heads in that. 

• Like 1

It is bloody hot, to good be inside to hot to be out. I've got a run out side with a cover over them some shade and a seed tray with out holes in the bottom, they love it when you fill it from the hose and let a little spray get on them. Kicks them of into dance mode.

Cheers Arry

28 minutes ago, vin said:

I'm using 5 litre plastic containers frozen solid...seem to last all day... but its so damn hot... got fans blowing on them and their shaded now.

thanks everyone.

I decided to pile 4/5 on top of each other hoping to maintain the ice coolness in the centre during the day . Maybe if you've got zip ties zip tie A mound together