Sthil ms250 chainsaw

7 hours ago, John d said:

As said don't lend stuff out, just say it's f****d lol

My current arsenal of stihls never go anywhere without me

20160618_180723.thumb.jpg.d8c633e058567ce637a783f5b4b5f373.jpg

What, eveñ when you go for a dump.? Your a bit of a stihl fan arent you. 

I'm a bit more of a Husky fan myself.

• Haha 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golden rule. Never lend out chainsaws to ANYONE.  They always come back FKD! Quote ..... Send it for a service should solve starting problems, if chains adjusted right and it’s still throwin

I'm in the mountains above the Mojave desert. We have a desert climate but I live next to Dixie National Forest and all of my winter heating is cedar and douglas fir. I go south an hour and it's all c

hi bud, there should be high-low adjusters there along with tick over, get yourself a small electrical screw driver and wind the high and low clockwise to close them off, then wind each one back one a

Posted Images

All of the brands have gone plastics and cheapo to match the cheep imports available. Changes in emission regulations have meant, more, but smaller jets. This along with fuel and oil changes have meant that jets frequently get blocked causing erratic running and in extream cases seizures cause by weak mixture as a result of partially blocked jets.

One of the best ones was a bloke  who said that his new Husq was using too much chain oil. I asked him what oil he was using. He replied " Sunflower oil"  I didn't understand and said "where are you getting it from?  He replied "Tesco" !  I said " what, you mean that your putting mazola or crisp and dry in your saw" ? He replied that it was cheeper than bar oil !!! Muppet.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Generally  most problems nowadays are fuel related. Another golden rule is dont leave fuel mkx in machines. Empty out fuel tanks,  start up and run until dry stop. Only make fuel mix when needed with fresh from pump fuel and a low ash oil with a spec of - L.E.G.D. Replacement carbs are expensive.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, John d said:

As said don't lend stuff out, just say it's f****d lol

My current arsenal of stihls never go anywhere without me

20160618_180723.thumb.jpg.d8c633e058567ce637a783f5b4b5f373.jpg

Those type of tank filler caps are a pain in the rear.  Several times I have filled up with bar oil and walked away only to find that the cap Has come out and I've got bar oil all down my leg and all over my boot. !!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Meece said:

Generally  most problems nowadays are fuel related. Another golden rule is dont leave fuel mkx in machines. Empty out fuel tanks,  start up and run until dry stop. Only make fuel mix when needed with fresh from pump fuel and a low ash oil with a spec of - L.E.G.D. Replacement carbs are expensive.

i think you have got that a bit wrong bud, i've never emptied a chainsaw to store it, or between uses and never had any problems starting them after months and months after sitting in the shed, i think that's probably something you like to do rather than it needs to be done.... 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, John d said:

Tbh I've always used fuel stabilisers and left it in, but heard others do the way meece said lol I've heard emptying then can cause fuel pipes and diaphragm to crack as they go dry

Probably not much of an issue over there but here in the desert everything cracks up given the heat and lack of humidity. In the winter it can get cold enough for the bar oil to gel up the same time as the diesel does in the truck. I leave fuel in mine but just enough to run it through when I top it up with fresh. I've not had any issues but I'm sure my saw isn't up to European standards either.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, John d said:

Why do you need a chainsaw in a desert? :D

but yeah I think it's best to leave some in, then empty it out and put fresh in the next time you start it

I'm in the mountains above the Mojave desert. We have a desert climate but I live next to Dixie National Forest and all of my winter heating is cedar and douglas fir. I go south an hour and it's all cactus and joshua trees but here I have to run a saw for when the sun goes in. Here at 5200ft above sea level the hottest we've had it is 115ºF coldest was -24ºF. That's a few cords in the winter months! :laugh:

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, John d said:

I could deal with the cold but that heat would kill me lol just looked it up and looks a very nice part of the world!

I love it mate. Summer gets a little dicey as we're in fire season but it's quiet. This is the timber we're in.

DNF2.jpg.4e64635b2e2a1cb1f2026d138efa925e.jpg

DNF3.jpg.ed390becdde45363da46deca4a0de2d9.jpg

43 minutes ago, John d said:

Ps what saw you running @ChrisJones

DNF1.jpg.bea142c6e3b9b3bf0ec7c0e33195447b.jpg

Does everything I need. I rarely fell just cut and stack.

Edited by ChrisJones
Clarity
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, John d said:

I’m sure I’d get used to it mate lol

nice 271, never used one myself but heard plenty of good reports! The white handle means it’s a pro saw so will last forever the way you use it!

I thought you'd be well accustomed to power tools? I mean your lasses vibrator is powerful enough to carry a HAVS warning on it....... 

5 hours ago, tillylamp said:

i think you have got that a bit wrong bud, i've never emptied a chainsaw to store it, or between uses and never had any problems starting them after months and months after sitting in the shed, i think that's probably something you like to do rather than it needs to be done.... 

It all depends on the fuel that you get. Older saws have bigger jets and adjuster screws to regulate the mix. More modern saws dont have adjusters because of emision regulations. I am a gold cert Husq tech and have come across many weird ideas of what people think is right. if you havent had running issues youve been lucky. There are even different grades of fuel hose. Some types of hose will only tolerate certain levels of ethanol. Still if it works great but be aware of the issues. Repairs can soon get very expensive. My saws and general Machinery are running as they should becase I am aware of these issues with fuels and oils. Things are changing all the time in an attempt to reduce emissions,  retain  power and flexibility. It's a difficult balancing  act. Still there are lots of people that are quite happy running 25:1 of B spec red 2t. If it works thats great if it goes wrong it just a repair and an outlay. Not the end of the world.

Edited by Meece