Sthil ms250 chainsaw

My chainsaw just come back after being on loan to a mate

Now I struggle to start it and when it does start the chain is of as soon as I release the brake at about half revs

Also its appears to me to be running hot

Any ideas what's wrong

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golden rule. Never lend out chainsaws to ANYONE.  They always come back FKD! Quote ..... Send it for a service should solve starting problems, if chains adjusted right and it’s still throwin

I'm in the mountains above the Mojave desert. We have a desert climate but I live next to Dixie National Forest and all of my winter heating is cedar and douglas fir. I go south an hour and it's all c

hi bud, there should be high-low adjusters there along with tick over, get yourself a small electrical screw driver and wind the high and low clockwise to close them off, then wind each one back one a

Posted Images

Send it for a service should solve starting problems,

if chains adjusted right and it’s still throwing it off the bars probably bent . 

• Like 2

Golden rule. Never lend out chainsaws to ANYONE.  They always come back FKD!

Quote ..... Send it for a service should solve starting problems,

if chains adjusted right and it’s still throwing it off the bars probably bent . 

You got deep pockets to pay for it !!

If they have a need to use a saw they should have their own. If they ain't got one they generally don't know how to treat a saw. I've seen everything with saws.  Giving it back to you with plain petrol so you seize it up. To the chain is a bit dull !  They had only used it to cut through celcon building blocks !!! 》》》" it cut though them ok" duh ! To the young bloke that cut down a tree in his garden and it went out of the garden and blocked the road !! It's a wonder he didn't  kill someone ! His saw bar was bent like a Z shape. The people who try to cut with the  chain hanging on it like a washing line dragging along the ground. Its strange that you need a licence for a 410 but anyone can walk into b&q or wherever and walk out with a lethal tool like buying a chocolate bar.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Chid said:

Send it for a service should solve starting problems,

The chain doesn't come of..... It starts spinning as soon as the brake is released

29 minutes ago, Meece said:

Golden rule. Never lend out chainsaws to ANYONE.  They always come back FKD!

Quote ..... Send it for a service should solve starting problems,

You got deep pockets to pay for it !!

If they have a need to use a saw they should have their own. If they ain't got one they generally don't know how to treat a saw. I've seen everything with saws.  Giving it back to you with plain petrol so you seize it up. To the chain is a bit dull !  They had only used it to cut through celcon building blocks !!! 》》》" it cut though them ok" duh ! To the young bloke that cut down a tree in his garden and it went out of the garden and blocked the road !! It's a wonder he didn't  kill someone ! His saw bar was bent like a Z shape. The people who try to cut with the  chain hanging on it like a washing line dragging along the ground. Its strange that you need a licence for a 410 but anyone can walk into b&q or wherever and walk out with a lethal tool like buying a chocolate bar.

Never again will i lend it out......along with the other problem it came back with a brand new chain completely blunt and bone dry in the fuel tank

All this from supposedly cutting one 4" tree stump 

23 minutes ago, jacknife said:

Never again will i lend it out......along with the other problem it came back with a brand new chain completely blunt and bone dry in the fuel tank

All this from supposedly cutting one 4" tree stump 

You live and learn I lent mine to a "mate" several years back, didn't put 2 stroke in despite me giving him some, came back seized, cost to repair = buy a new one. His contribution? Zilch. Ex mate now.

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1

See if you can find a small engines man to have a look at it, I would be a bit worried that hard starting, hot running and high rpm could be an air leak which could be a pain to fix, but hopefully it's something more straightforward. I loaned a chainsaw to an old boy that I had found a month or so work for. He wasn't really physically up to the job but I felt sorry for him and did all the heavy work. He knew where I live and promised to bring it back. Never saw or heard from him again and when I phoned his mobile to get the chainsaw back, I got his former employer. It turned out he had stolen the mobile from them and had been using it long after he left, until they had the phone company deactivate it. Live and learn :laugh:

hi bud, there should be high-low adjusters there along with tick over, get yourself a small electrical screw driver and wind the high and low clockwise to close them off, then wind each one back one and a quarter turns out, this should help with the starting problem, when it does start get it up to temperature then you can fine tune the high-low, what you do is....hold the throttle fully open with the screw driver in the high hole and turn it slightly until you get it running at it's best (you will hear it) then do the same on the low hole but from tick over this time, squeeze the throttle from low revs up to high revs and if you get a hesitant response just alter the low abit, then set the tickover to suit....then sharpen your chain and add the oil and away you go....and don't lend it out again.....hope this helps tilly

• Like 3

I'm with Chevinfox on this one don't adjust anything till you empty the fuel tank new fresh right mix. Then start it warm it up, then with a lot of care if the chain is spinning adjust the tick over screw till the chain stops. Atb.

Cheers Arry

14 hours ago, jacknife said:

The chain doesn't come of..... It starts spinning as soon as the brake is released

There is a problem with the clutch. This could be down to the idle speed too high or a broken spring, or. The drum needle bearing has failed or there is so much crap in there that the drive is being transmitted. Check what fuel it has in the tank. Remove plug, ideàlly use pressure gauge to check compression to see if it has been seized.  Or remove exhaust and shine light onto piston and wall to check for scoring  》》》 lack of oil sieze?  Most carbs for a long time have not had mixture adjustment screws. The carbs are designed to work and thats it. A critical thing that most people dont realise is that fuel companies have added ethanol and this causes a gel like substance that block the very small accelerator jets. It is very important to use clean fresh fuel and a 2T oil with a D spec or low ash.  Most people who use saws haven't  got a clue about how to get the  best use out of it. There are quite a lot of Injuries due to incorrect saw operation ect.