Spring Rifle Hunting.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:51, Deker said:

Cracking stuff and some great guns here.:yes:

Springers can certainly bring results but I struggle to see what would make me buy a new one over a PCP today.  

Just the same, I still have my trusty (and very primitive by todays standards) Airsporter and have no plans to move it on, but it only comes out for nostalgia, not hunting! :thumbs:

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:48, Rimfireboy! said:

Same here really. I’ve got a good few spring and gas ram guns but I just use them for fun these days really. With modern pcp’s You’re buying performance and capability in multi shot that a spring rifle can’t do. No matter who’s behind the trigger, a multi shot pcp has superior overall performance. They’re a more advanced tool ?

I don`t agree lads and I shoot 5 spring rifles over 2 puffers.

I strongly believe puffers are a "pretend marksman`s tool" bye passing all the building of shot requirements but yes, I do agree that pcp`s, lifeless as they are, are very productive in pest control.

Here`s a 41 year old classic springer, a FWB Sport .177 at work.- All original.

2001328746_IMG_0641(1).JPG.2e19d95545029672062a228ac7c5a94e.JPG

Here`s a HW 100 KT .177 at work, both last decoying season, ( about now).

IMG_0675.JPG.fdade7f81b45c12a84e237fa11c765f6.JPG

Which session did I prefer ?

Spring rifle by a country mile, I had to be completely involved and in charge of my "building of the shots" to pull in that bag.

Puffer, - just point and squeeze, no skill required. ( no disrespect pcp lads) .

atb  Mark.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Springer fetish is getting a bit out of hand there's 22 there, plus the r7 has snuck in somehow?

Lads, I`ve put a few photos together of the spring rifles I`m hunting with.                   My 100`s aren`t seeing much work lately, as the enjoyment and satisfaction I`m getting from the sprin

I have no spring rifles anymore except my Airsporter, mine from new and bought around 1972 I think.    All my others have gone and its PCP now.  That's the way for me, but without doubt newer Springer

Posted Images

Yes mate,

I believe I said that,

- I do agree that PCP`s, as lifeless as they are, are very productive in pest control.

atb, Mark.

• Like 1

I agree lads, don`t get me wrong.

I do find another side to spring rifle shooting, however, in that after shooting the spring rifles continuously, for say, a month or two, that when I revert back to the PCP`s my accuracy and results with a PCP are " greatly improved".

" Never the other way round". :nono:

Personally, I think it pays dividends, to hunt with both.

Each to their own  :rolleyes:

atb  Mark.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Deker said:

No argument here, If you like the springers then good for you, I've been there done that and its PCP for me now, field or target.

ATB! :thumbs:

Got to admit mind Deker after shooting pcp for a few years now

im finding that being back into spring rifle shooting i nearly for got just how satisfying it is to shoot a spring rifle again

Took me a while mind to get back into it lol

but when it all clicked back into place in my head lol

there was no stopping me .

just some thing about shooting a rabbit out to 60+yrds with a spring rifle

than a pcp even more so when its a hw100 of any format

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Just my opinion.

A well educated spring rifle hunter who goes over to permanently shoot pcp " will forget how to swim" if you get my drift.

I sit back and watch these lads at the ranges and they genuinely become complacent and lazy in their shooting styles and techniques.

Give them a spring rifle and they try to excuse their way out of shooting one and when they do eventually shoot it, they always make excuses for the poor results.

For me,- always shoot both :rtfm:

atb  Mark

9 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Just my opinion.

A well educated spring rifle hunter who goes over to permanently shoot pcp " will forget how to swim" if you get my drift.

I sit back and watch these lads at the ranges and they genuinely become complacent and lazy in their shooting styles and techniques.

Give them a spring rifle and they try to excuse their way out of shooting one and when they do eventually shoot it, they always make excuses for the poor results.

For me,- always shoot both :rtfm:

atb  Mark

I know exactly what you are saying, perhaps its an age thing, but I prefer a glass of wine on my boat now rather than swimming! :laugh::thumbs:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, mark williams said:

Naar, drinking wine makes you complacent and lazy. :laugh:

Yep, no argument there either!

I really do agree, its a very different type of shooting and a PCP does indeed tend to make you complacent and lazy, especially a multishot, as most all of them are today!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Got to admit mind Deker after shooting pcp for a few years now

im finding that being back into spring rifle shooting i nearly for got just how satisfying it is to shoot a spring rifle again

Took me a while mind to get back into it lol

but when it all clicked back into place in my head lol

there was no stopping me .

just some thing about shooting a rabbit out to 60+yrds with a spring rifle

than a pcp even more so when its a hw100 of any format

I have no spring rifles anymore except my Airsporter, mine from new and bought around 1972 I think.    All my others have gone and its PCP now.  That's the way for me, but without doubt newer Springers are much better than my Airsporter which just comes out for nostalga really!      I look after all my guns, but it's had no tuning and is basically original.   I even had the original box (that was in near perfect condition to) until her ladyship had a clear out and threw it away not so long back! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

BSA1a.thumb.jpg.9c97932f603aaa42bf1ead094c255f7d.jpgBSAa.thumb.jpg.9c9694abf857d549a34c2a2be86dfdbe.jpg

It's been worked hard (but not for some years) and last time I checked it was 11.4ft lb with the Eley Wasp Blue! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

I enjoy my spring rifles, even have a few pistols as well. I have some enjoyable times shooting them. I’d like another bsf if I could find one for sale at the right price. If it’s pests I’m after though, it’ll be a pcp in the truck, or a shotgun or a powder burning rifle that I’m taking with me, with the possible exception of feral shooting. I might well take my .25 springer for those.?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Deker said:

I have no spring rifles anymore except my Airsporter, mine from new and bought around 1972 I think.    All my others have gone and its PCP now.  That's the way for me, but without doubt newer Springers are much better than my Airsporter which just comes out for nostalga really!      I look after all my guns, but it's had no tuning and is basically original.   I even had the original box (that was in near perfect condition to) until her ladyship had a clear out and threw it away not so long back! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

BSA1a.thumb.jpg.9c97932f603aaa42bf1ead094c255f7d.jpgBSAa.thumb.jpg.9c9694abf857d549a34c2a2be86dfdbe.jpg

It's been worked hard (but not for some years) and last time I checked it was 11.4ft lb with the Eley Wasp Blue! :thumbs:

Nothing wrong with an air sporter Deker

and she will still hold her own against any new springer any day

I should of kept the one i refurbished

thats my only regret .

remember they were the top rifle to have back in the day and still very much sort after now .

all this talk of springers ill make you get her out and have a play lol

P050112_15.29.jpg

The rifles of yesteryear like the Air Sporter, FWB Sport, HW 35, etc,etc, were and are very good guns for accuracy but what did let them down badly was the pellets we all used.

My FWB sisters, using modern day JSB`s are laser accurate.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mark williams said:

The rifles of yesteryear like the Air Sporter, FWB Sport, HW 35, etc,etc, were and are very good guns for accuracy but what did let them down badly was the pellets we all used.

My FWB sisters, using modern day JSB`s are laser accurate.

lol YOUR NOT WRONG BACK THEN A TIN OF PELLETS WERE AROUND £5 FOR 500 LOL

NOW £16 ISH OR MORE

DEPENDING WHAT YOU WANT

but back then we did not care rifle pellets and out you went

you DID not give a sh*t if you missed it was all part of the fun lol

• Like 1