I have decided to go for a .22WMR after a great deal of deliberating and trying out my pal's 17HMR and we then have a selection of rifles between us including the .22LRs.

The question :- what make / model guys. My thoughts are Anschutz or CZ but as always your experience and thoughts will be welcome.

Phil

Have a look into weihrauch , they don’t just make air rifles . I looked at a 22lr at my local gun shop . It was a “beauty “ . Well engineered, thumbhole stock , threaded for a mod , brand new £650 . Talking to the guy and he reckons they are better than Anschutz . Like Walshie says , you can’t go wrong with CZ , I’ve got an old BRNO in 22LR and it has given me years of service and still shoots straight. But if I was thinking of upgrading, I wouldn’t hesitate in a Weihrauch .

• Like 1

Weihrauch...............................Now that is a new one on me, I had no idea they made anything other than air rifles, well well well

I am awaiting my variation to come back which should be about another two weeks, just missed a s/h Anschutz buy watching the rfd stock closely. I think CZ will be the easiest to get hold of and best price.

Phil 

4 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I have an hw60j in .22 hornet. They do a .22 wmr I believe. The usual lovely trigger that you’d expect and hw engineering, it’s a nice piece. However, in .22wmr, I’d be looking for a nice Brno 611. ?

611! That could get expensive, ammo wise!

There is an anshutz near me in a shop.

Croton country store, Staffordshire.

01630 620226.

• Haha 1

Weihrauch...............................Now that is a new one on me, I had no idea they made anything other than air rifles, well well well

I am awaiting my variation to come back which should be about another two weeks, just missed a s/h Anschutz buy watching the rfd stock closely. I think CZ will be the easiest to get hold of and best price.

Ammo cost is a factor as I am retired so I pay enough out on my 12 gauge cartridges so I am not wanting another costly ammo and one of the reasons why I am not interested in centre fire.

Phil 

57 minutes ago, philpot said:

Ammo cost is a factor as I am retired so I pay enough out on my 12 gauge cartridges so I am not wanting another costly ammo and one of the reasons why I am not interested in centre fire.

Phil 

Got to say I was impressed with the weihrauch I looked at . The bolt was smooth to operate and there was a two stage trigger , which was perfect . The overall feel of the rifle was “right”. It was nice and short , so great out of the truck window I would imagine . If you are bunny bashing with this caliber it could be expensive, but if it’s the odd fox , I don’t think you should worry about the cost too much . You’ve got some time on your side so good luck with your search. ATB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use to sell rabbits and harvested them with air, 22, hornet and even (to use up cheap components) 308!

This was commercial rabbiting. The game dealer want 50-100 rabbits a fortnight, all head shot and paid me well.

The down loaded hornet and 308 were rare occasions and fun but the 22 got most but on a windy night the WMR made things alot easier for the rifleman and in all honesty there was less missed due to wind, wind outside, not in the cab, although at times that was bad!

U.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil 

Regarding rifle price Phil, my hw60j came in cheaper than a new cz527. Rfd ordered it from Hull Cartridge.

• Thanks 1

Now that is interesting, I will have a look but that will have to be later or tomorrow as I am lucky enough to be going to a wedding ..........................................?

Oh bloody joy

Phil

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, philpot said:

Now that is interesting, I will have a look but that will have to be later or tomorrow as I am lucky enough to be going to a wedding ..........................................?

Oh bloody joy

Phil

Nice, plenty of sausage rolls, cheese cobs, crisps and half pissed bridesmaids.Bit of luck they might have karaoke as well. Enjoy?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As I've mentioned before a Hornady 17g HMR V-Max and a Hornady 30g WMR V-Max fly very close to each other out to around 100.

I have both, and the WMR uses almost exclusively Hornady V-Max these days, but my last WMR absolutely loved the 40g CCI Maxi Mag HP (my latest WMR no so keen on these).

As usual, for field work I consider you will find it hard to beat a CZ as an overall package!

This happens to be mine, but I "believe" you can get them with a plastic stock these days, if you can that would be my choice!

189912149_WMRRifles003b.thumb.jpg.0e3d53cf11b11bf0bfb58afd6e4c2c8e.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1