Bit of help if anybody can... I'm toying with the idea of shooting a bit of FT in the near future as well as pest control using my hw100 .177 now I was looking at the MTC VIPER PRO 5-30X50...would that scope be good enough to range the difference say between 50yds and say 53yd if it was set on 30mag? or is it OK with 5yard Increments..... Cheers

Hi Phil,

I can`t speak for HFT but I can for the hunting side.

As I`m sure you know, you`ll get a lot of personal opinions on this question but yes I`ve used the Mamba scopes for years.

My HW 100 KT .177 carries the old Mamba 4-16x50 and is laser accurate to 50 yds.

For hunting I rarely shoot further than 35-40 yds but when I do, I`m easily capable.

I shoot on x10 all the time and have never wanted more magnification.

The reticule is SCB, zeroed to 38 yds.

I use 5yd increments but only "kick in" at 43yds,- 50 yds is 1/2 mill dot with AA Fields 4.52, 8.4g.

Do HFT lads have a maximum range of 45 yds by the way ?

Here`s a typical practice card I use.

atb  Mark

1439722026_IMG_0073(1).thumb.JPG.cf6f6ddca69f6bca059fda4f899445c3.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mark williams said:

Hi Phil,

I can`t speak for HFT but I can for the hunting side.

As I`m sure you know, you`ll get a lot of personal opinions on this question but yes I`ve used the Mamba scopes for years.

My HW 100 KT .177 carries the old Mamba 4-16x50 and is laser accurate to 50 yds.

For hunting I rarely shoot further than 35-40 yds but when I do, I`m easily capable.

I shoot on x10 all the time and have never wanted more magnification.

The reticule is SCB, zeroed to 38 yds.

I use 5yd increments but only "kick in" at 43yds,- 50 yds is 1/2 mill dot with AA Fields 4.52, 8.4g.

Do HFT lads have a maximum range of 45 yds by the way ?

Here`s a typical practice card I use.

atb  Mark

1439722026_IMG_0073(1).thumb.JPG.cf6f6ddca69f6bca059fda4f899445c3.JPG

Yes Mark, hft Shooters maximum is 45yds but  FT targets go out to 55yds and they use the bigger mag scopes to rangefind more precisely, that's why I was asking if the 30mag viper pro was good enough to recognise the different distances a couple of yards apart, last time I shot FT was a fair few years ago with a AIR ARMS PRO-TARGET with a 10-50x60 scope on top and that scope went in and out of focus at every yard or two at most, very precise but it was a huge scope.. and I like the idea of the rangefinding with the scope aswell, once its been setup... 

• Like 1

FT shooting is a different kettle of fish they manly use target guns with high mag scopes and 50 - 60 mm .

When hunting I use 8 x mag  any more than that shows up wobbles more , unless you are shooting of sticks or bipods 

• Like 1

I don't like those new MTC scopes Phil - I think they just don't suit my eyes. Besides, I don't imagine they're intended for FT levels of precision.

Can't you go back to the scopes that you knew before?

...... I gather big Nikkos and Falcon T50s are popular for FT.

On a bit of a tangent, when I came back to air rifles, I put a T50 on an Airwolf - it was an excellent scope but, it was a feckin monster.

....... I have quite a low attention span so, when I started messing around with that scope on x50 mag, not a lot of shooting got done :laugh:

......... I was watching the little birds in neighbours gardens and, bugs on branches in my garden.

I watched a squirrel feckin a cat about in a tree 4 gardens away.

I have limited knowledge of that type of scope but, that T50 was good :thumbs:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I don't like those new MTC scopes Phil - I think they just don't suit my eyes. Besides, I don't imagine they're intended for FT levels of precision.

Can't you go back to the scopes that you knew before?

...... I gather big Nikkos and Falcon T50s are popular for FT.

On a bit of a tangent, when I came back to air rifles, I put a T50 on an Airwolf - it was an excellent scope but, it was a feckin monster.

....... I have quite a low attention span so, when I started messing around with that scope on x50 mag, not a lot of shooting got done :laugh:

......... I was watching the little birds in neighbours gardens and, bugs on branches in my garden.

I watched a squirrel feckin a cat about in a tree 4 gardens away.

I have limited knowledge of that type of scope but, that T50 was good :thumbs:

thanks for the advice..... 

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 07:34, Phill-W68 said:

Bit of help if anybody can... I'm toying with the idea of shooting a bit of FT in the near future as well as pest control using my hw100 .177 now I was looking at the MTC VIPER PRO 5-30X50...would that scope be good enough to range the difference say between 50yds and say 53yd if it was set on 30mag? or is it OK with 5yard Increments..... Cheers

In honesty I have no experience of that specific scope, but in reality you have to spend a LOT of money to get any scope crisp and clear at its maximum mag.    Most use higher mag as well in my experience of FT, commonly 50x.  If you have an opportunity try other peoples scopes and/or make sure you have a good look through whichever scope you are thinking about at the dealer; Country/Game/Shooting shows can be useful to try a few as well!

Whilst you could use any target scope for field work they tend to be rather different, up to you! 

• Like 1