.25 at sub 12

Well, I don’t know if anybody’s interested in this, but I thought I’d have a look at the residual energy of a variety of .25 pellets starting out with a muzzle energy of less than 12ft lbs. I weighed five of each brand and took an average weight. Then I took five shots with each brand at three feet from the muzzle. I set the chrono up at twenty five yards and did the same again, taking an average velocity from the five shots with each brand. I noticed that both H&N baracuda and RWS Superdomes gave the same muzzle velocity. Both weighed in at 31 grains, the residual energy at twenty five yards though was quite a difference. Here’s the results......

H&N Baracuda 31 grain mv 372/9.52ft lbs 25 yards v 335/7.72ft lbs

Milbro Rhino 18.7 grain mv 501/10.42ft lbs 25 yards v 445/8.22ft lbs

RWS Superdome 31 grain mv 372/9.52ft lbs 25 yards v 268/4.49ft lbs

Bisley Pest Control 26.4 grain mv 398/9.28ft lbs 25 yards v 317/5.89ft lbs

Bisley Superfield 24.7 grain mv 423/9.81ft lbs 25 yards v 368/7.42ft lbs

BSA Pylarm 21.8 grain mv 450/9.80ft lbs 25 yards v 394/7.51ft lbs

H&N Rampoint 27.9 grain mv 402/10.01ft lbs 25 yards v 344/7.09ft lbs

Marksman  19.3 grain mv505/10.93ft lbs 25 yards v 403/6.96ft lbs

RWS Super H Point 26.5 grain mv 412/9.99ft lbs 25 yards v 376/8.32ft lbs

H&N Field & Target Trophy 19.4 grain mv 485/10.13ft lbs 25 yard v 436/8.19 ft lbs

weight/grains                            muzzle velocity.       energy/ ft lbs.           25 yard velocity.        25 yard energy/ft lbs.

H&N  Baracuda.            31.                                               372.                            9.52.                           335.                             7.72

Milbro Rhino.                18.7.                                            501.                            10.42.                         445.                             8.22

RWS Superdome.         31.                                               372.                             9.52.                          268.                             4.94

Bisley Pest Control.     26.4.                                            398.                             9.28.                          317.                             5.89

Bisley Superfield.         24.7.                                            423.                             9.81.                          368.                             7.42

BSA Pylarm.                 21.8.                                            450.                             9.80.                          394.                             7.51

H&N Rampoint.           27.9.                                             402.                             10.01.                        344.                            7.09

Marksman.                  19.3.                                             505.                             10.93.                        403.                            6.96

RWS Super H Point.   26.5.                                             412.                             9.99.                          376.                            8.32

H&N Field Target T.   19.4.                                             485.                              10.13.                       436.                            8.19

412647F7-6EFC-4F61-A898-7AD10036C4D1.jpeg

Edited by Rimfireboy!
Hope that’s better
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like seeing results from tests like this and, I'm grateful that you took the time to do it and write it up but, I'm really struggling to read those results - it looks like the forum has pushed the headings and figures out of alignment.

41 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I like seeing results from tests like this and, I'm grateful that you took the time to do it and write it up but, I'm really struggling to read those results - it looks like the forum has pushed the headings and figures out of alignment.

Hopefully it’s legible now? ?

• Like 1

I’ll do a comparison when I get time. To be honest, these are 20 yard rat and feral guns really. I used to use a BSA Supersport.25 for shooting ferals in factory units. It only really worked well with the rhinos because of the tight bore. Most shots were 10-15 yards at most, the .25 was ideal for this, dropped them really well.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I’ll do a comparison when I get time. To be honest, these are 20 yard rat and feral guns really. I used to use a BSA Supersport.25 for shooting ferals in factory units. It only really worked well with the rhinos because of the tight bore. Most shots were 10-15 yards at most, the .25 was ideal for this, dropped them really well.

I'll look forward to it mate :yes:

It's a cracking calibre and, a good shot at sub 12 is so satisfying. 

...... I really should have one in the cabinet :hmm:

• Like 1

Take my hat off to you pal, that taken time and patience, I have a bsa r10se in .25cal sub 12, and anything over 26gr in pellet weight and they spread like a shotgun even over 19yds which I have in the garden so I stick to AA FIELD, seems to like them runs about 11.6ft/lbs with them.. Not done a downrange chrony reading which I should try. 

• Like 1

Nice one RFB, time and trouble have produced an interesting result. If you are interested in taking it a stage further, I can send you some JSB selection and AA field which are again JSB made.

PM me your address if you want to test some.

Phil

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'll look forward to it mate :yes:

It's a cracking calibre and, a good shot at sub 12 is so satisfying. 

...... I really should have one in the cabinet :hmm:

So should i

an FX IMPACT .25:hmm:

QUESTION IS

fac or sub 12:hmm:

after shooting Allans (pav) in fac if any thing will make me put in for it ,,it will be this rifle

in .25 and fac .

its the only pcp iv fired that kicks back when you squeeze the trigger

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, philpot said:

Nice one RFB, time and trouble have produced an interesting result. If you are interested in taking it a stage further, I can send you some JSB selection and AA field which are again JSB made.

PM me your address if you want to test some.

Phil

well, that’s extremely gracious of you Phil, as there’s no hurry, if you could just pop them in the box with the bsf I’ll cover the postage my friend ?.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

So should i

an FX IMPACT .25:hmm:

QUESTION IS

fac or sub 12:hmm:

after shooting Allans (pav) in fac if any thing will make me put in for it ,,it will be this rifle

in .25 and fac .

its the only pcp iv fired that kicks back when you squeeze the trigger

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Do it mate :yes:

I don't know why you didn't apply at the shooting show with Si.

• Like 1