A walk round the shoot

So I’ve been for a walk round my pheasant shoot to check the fox situation and as usual with my work and other commitments I’ve left it a bit late, only managed to find one real spot that I could possibly call in to, got myself a bit of bait and will be giving it a go, failing that it’s going to have to be when they have combined, just before the birds go in, I never make life easy for myself 

4BF758C2-0B75-45E0-87B1-A1FAD3A04437.jpeg

A984A4C4-9DD7-48F7-99E6-8CEC3659087A.jpeg

261D22F1-BB82-4D01-8CDE-7178C7ACFF47.jpeg

• Like 3

Don’t leave your fox control to the last minute if you can help it . Work done now will reap rewards. Harvest for wheat near me is on or around 10th August, later on higher ground, and if we get a damp spell it could be even later . If you have time put some snares down . I’ve got them in all my “impossible to shoot “ areas and pick up foxes regularly. It’s a welcome sight when you see a pheasant killer dancing about when you turn up ? Good luck with the calling anyway ?

• Like 1

I’m like this every year, there was only last year I can remember when I had it all cleaned up by June, I have been known to use a couple of cage traps just to get the last couple, I still haven’t got round to sorting the pens out so no doubt I’ll have a couple of fly filled days up there soon, you would think I’d of learned by now?

Well I’m back at home having a brew and the mug says it all, got myself set up where I thought they’d  come up the tree line into the opening after 20 mins or so the bloody thing came into the edge of the field about 10 yards from me, winded me in a second and was off back into the woodland, wish I had the shotgun 

A73A708C-EE52-46CB-9B8A-674009654B69.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I used to be the same, always had everything cleared up in the winter all my pens ready by the end of may for the next season and then I was struck down by marriage ?

I know , what’s wrong with them ? You put a roof over their heads , food on the table , surely they don’t want you to spend “quality time “ with them as well? My Mrs even wants to have a “chat “ now and then . Women are from Venus mate !!!

7 hours ago, Stavross said:

I used to be the same, always had everything cleared up in the winter all my pens ready by the end of may for the next season and then I was struck down by marriage ?

Ahhr, tis a lingering malady, they say the first thirty years are the worst!

• Haha 1

So this is looking like a late one next week, the bait is going but  between 10:30pm and 6am, I left a few rabbits for the the woman who owns the place and she has been putting one along the side of the shed for the past couple of nights and it has gone by morning, so I’ll give it a go, failing that it’s going to be when they have combined, also loads of the little grey buggers in and out the barley so I might see if the kids that come to the shoot fancy a day bashing them

DE6A9526-093B-4477-8CD2-D5DBC41FCDB1.jpeg

8886764B-F231-4F65-B28F-875D230824D2.jpeg

851A9B75-5CF7-4810-8480-26C5AE685A7D.jpeg

• Like 2

You could put a bit of bait out for the Squirrels. The other day I was sat in the truck and I noticed a feeder had been tipped over and the lid off . There must have been a bit of wheat left in it because I saw a few squirrels running in and out . Within an hour I’d shot 6 . Went back the next day to eat my sandwich and accounted for 4 more . It’s amazing how far they will travel when they find a bit of food . I didn’t realise I had that many about , hope that’s put a bit of a dent in them , but I doubt it . Looks a nice bit of ground that Stavross ?

• Like 1

They just keep coming, it doesn’t seem to matter how many you shoot there’s the same amount next time you go, forestry love you shootings them, the damage to the trees is nuts once they start stripping the bark they just keep going, I nailed a few to the tree with the .17hmr the other day, bit over the top but it did the job, I’m going to take a few kids up with the little .410’s and 20’s they have 600 acres to go at so should  keep them out of bother

Edited by Stavross
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Stavross said:

They just keep coming, it doesn’t seem to matter how many you shoot there’s the same amount next time you go, forestry love you shootings them, the damage to the trees is nuts once they start stripping the bark they just keep going, I nailed a few to the tree with the .17hmr the other day, bit over the top but it did the job, I’m going to take a few kids up with the little .410’s and 20’s they have 600 acres to go at so she keep them out of bother

Good idea?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Good idea?

Thanks mate, one thing I love to do is take young lads and lasses out to show them what I do, even better if they have never had the opportunity to do anything like this, some are not interested and some just want to shoot guns and that’s ok but now and then I get one that wants to know everything and never stops asking questions and I love that and as I haven’t got any kids I don’t treat them like kids so swear as much as you want and tell me what you got up to at the weekend and I won’t tell your Mam most of them seem to like this approach ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice one mate , they are the future of our sport . I always have an annual squirrel bash .All the young beaters and their dads come along and we shoot all the dreys out . There is a huge ancient beech woodland along the top of the shoot which is suffering bark stripping damage , so every squirrel killed is a bonus . When a squirrel jumps out of the drey it’s like world war 3 has broken out ?. The kids love it . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1