Second cut silage

We’ve just had the silage cut for the second time this year . Only shot one on the first cut . The cubs are out and about now , so I’m expecting to do better tonight. I always find it better the second night after it’s cut . Word seems to have got around fox world that there is a meal opportunity. I also reckon it’s not worth going out till about midnight. Any thoughts on this ?

863238D9-CBEF-4E16-BA9D-088847B00AE6.jpeg

• Like 2

It alĺ sounds about right. It's very variable though. Sometimes nothing shows. I have sat up a scaffold tower watching a field waiting for a visitor to a pegged out bait. When I have done this I  cut a few sticks and set them at about 25 yards apart so that I can judge the distance. At this time cubs get out and the size of them confuses how far away they are. The view can be very flat across any field at night. A cub at 30 can loòk the same as an adult out at 150. The stick help a lot. As it is near the longest day it means late nights.

• Like 1

Just had my first brew of the morning and on the other side of my garden wall are two foxes routing through the freshly cut silage. they are keen and were out here with in an hour of the tractor pulling out last night.

Good result mate.

Phil

• Like 1

Just thought I’d let anyone who’s interested know how it went last night/ this morning. Set off about 11.00pm and it was still not really dark . The contractor doing the grass was making haylage , so the grass was still in rows . I was using my Tikka T3 light in 223 , with a pulsar N970 LRF digisight . I also have an ATN 640x480  thermal spotter , which is a brilliant bit of kit . I drove around all the fields that had been cut and not a sausage. Then I noticed a familiar shape in the distance going over a bank in the direction of a small field that had had its first cut about a week ago . I tend to stay away from this field as I have had problems with some of the nearby houses . But I threw caution to the wind and drove into the top of the field. A quick scan with the thermal revealed two foxes on top of a muck heap with one presenting a safe shot , rifle out and number one was in the bag . The other fox disappeared smartish but a couple of squeaks and it popped its head around the side of the muck heap . Try as I might it would not turn broadside. So I took the shot head on which I try not to do . The bullet struck home though . Both shots 85   meters . Another circuit of the cut fields and still nothing out , gone 12 now and I was thinking of calling it a night . I thought I’d try a place where I know there was a litter of cubs and I have dealt with most of them . I went through the gate into the field and I don’t think I could have made more noise if I tried ( gate slammed to ) . But just around the corner was foxy , and a cub was in the back of the truck in no time . A quick spin around the cattle fields and no further sightings. Back out on the grass !! Saw a fox in a field on the other side of the hedge , when I got into the field it disappeared into some bushes . I tried some squeaks and it showed it’s head but would not commit to revealing the rest of its body and eventually it melted away . He’s for another night . On again and another lap and nothing. Gone 2am now , yawning tells me time for bed , but something else tells me one more tour of the cut grass . I’m glad I did because I spotted one walking up a hedge oblivious to my presence and one little squeak had it heading for me like a steam train . I gave a shout to stop it at about 50 meters and dropped it . A barren vixen . On again and into a fold with a large muck heap at one end , and guess what ? Another fox sat on top of the warm muck heap , so I shot it where is was . Went to pick it up and climbed on to the muck heap , it felt solid enough with a firm crust , then I started sinking....I’m glad no one was watching me as I struggled about like a walrus on a beach dragging the fox back . That was it for me , time for beddy bys . Still more grass to be taken off the estate so I will be out again tonight. ATB

• Like 6

Sometimes we have been out and seen nothing only to sit it out for quarter of an hour, turn round and do a reverse circuit.  Sometimes nothing again but then another time we have seen several.  It's a case of where were that lot when we came through? Sometimes I have questioned the reason why we are shooting them. Some farmers do not want them shot because foxes don't eat corn, rabbits do. Some years we shot getting on for 250 and it didn't change anything.  Shoot ten and it makes a hole that is rapidly filled by ten from somewhere else. It would have been cheaper in dog food for the foxes than the ammunition,  diesel, wear and tear, soil damage and time involved and let the resident charlies keep a territory. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Meece said:

Sometimes we have been out and seen nothing only to sit it out for quarter of an hour, turn round and do a reverse circuit.  Sometimes nothing again but then another time we have seen several.  It's a case of where were that lot when we came through? Sometimes I have questioned the reason why we are shooting them. Some farmers do not want them shot because foxes don't eat corn, rabbits do. Some years we shot getting on for 250 and it didn't change anything.  Shoot ten and it makes a hole that is rapidly filled by ten from somewhere else. It would have been cheaper in dog food for the foxes than the ammunition,  diesel, wear and tear, soil damage and time involved and let the resident charlies keep a territory. 

I only shoot foxes that are causing a problem. If like you say it’s an arable Farm , they do no damage , I leave them alone . I shoot foxes on the pheasant shoot I keeper , a chicken farm and I also help a  keeper mate on the next door shoot . Fox shooting has become a sport in its own right now , but we must be responsible and only target foxes that are causing damage or have the potential to cause damage . Shooting them for just target practice seems wrong to me . 

• Like 2