Lurchers hips

7 minutes ago, skycat said:

Looks very heavily muscled for a sapling that's not yet one year old. How much hard galloping does she get a day? Looks quite stiff around the hip area, which is not to say its the hips, but possibly the stifle joint that is affecting the hip movement.  But, with a lot of Greyhound in the mix, a lurcher will have a lot more muscle than one with, say, Saluki in it, and they do appear much stiffer. Can you go a video from the side, both trotting and walking? Get someone else to lead her out.

I’d say she’s out a hour most days free running mooching about , she’s always been a solid thing she’s got gwp collie and grey in her make up , yea il try get more videos later on today 

Just now, Wild-Bill said:

Could be way off here but have you tried a boneman, I had a dog which sounded similar after exercise and he cracked her back and it sorted it. You never no may do the trick. 

That’s the next thing I was going to do was just seeing what people thought , besides after a walk she’s no probably runs perfectly well and she’s very athletic I put it down to growing but would rather know for definite

5 hours ago, bird said:

that really surprised  me , only thought  other breeds got HD  ,  and running dogs didnt get it , more so what you had  a long dog. i asked 2 vets  about HD  , as my big dog Buck 1/2 gsd and   it in the gsd along with elbow probs , both told me that if he did get it, it wouldnt be as bad as pure gsd, as the greyhound  norm have good hips and elbows , but suppose  any dog can get then really .?

Greyhounds don’t get hip dysplasia because of how their hips are formed. Hip dysplasia tends to happen when there is a lot of bone and not enough muscle. Greyhounds are freaks, they have incredibly strong pelvic muscles vs bone from birth. This is why they are so fast. On the other hand, Deerhounds that have been bred for size rather than speed can and do have this kind of hip problems.  A greyhound deerhound could have problems if it deerhound parent had problems. Same is true for any cross but is going to be more common with heavier bulkier dogs.  

She looks a little muscle bound from that quick video but hard to tell without seeing her. Her back looks absolutely fine so I wouldn't say it was a spinal problem just a bit muscle heavy around the arse end ... they do say dogs take after their owners ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm so used to lurchers that are very supple and less heavily muscled  (Saluki and Collie types) that it's hard for me to see past what seems to me to be an overall stiffness.  I did think for a moment that there appeared to be a right shoulder issue, but the video didn't last long enough to see properly. And when a dog paces (moves like a camel: both limbs moving in tandem on each side, as opposed to diagonally) that can make its movement appear very stiff and weird too. If she were my dog I'd get her to a bone man for a check up, and learn how to massage correctly: stiffness in the muscles can be helped a lot by regular massage.

That sapling seems to me like she got a pull in the groin she carrying it  stand her still pick her leg up in piston fashion see how it goes back down if slow Togo down something going on it looks to be nearest camera.poss be small pull these saplings get these little niggles with growing and exercise ease her up fa a  ten days lead walk around two weeks let her off when warmed up  see the difference bangs and so can also cause muscles round the spine vertebrates to pop out can cause lameness,she needs going over her.these big strong uns bang the resells around at. Times while young having no regard or sense  young stock fa yas.

torn gracious. Maybe.atb billBill