Lurchers hips

9 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

My bitch is around 9/10 months she runs perfectly and trots but when she walks after we’ve been out her hips sway a lot , could she just be growing or could it be a problem? 

Firstly ,

Dogs move differently in different states of mind,

if it’s on the way out as opposed to on the way back in , I would keep a eye on it 

the term “Supple “ is used for a relaxed, chilled,  easy motion style of movement but it should also show in relaxed shoulders , neck , ears down , swaying style as you mention, basically not a care in the world, happy in its skin , energy grounded. 

To my eye, it’s a body language tell of a well grounded dog and a good outing 

• Like 2

It depends what you mean by 'a lot'. 

If it is a problem with here gait i.e. after she runs her walking pattern is out, then it could be her spine. You probably would only really notice it when she is walking but its there when she is trotting/running. One way of finding out is to give her a shortish run,  walk her home, give her a 10 minute break, and then walk back. If there is a noticeable difference between the first and the second & third walks, then it could be physical rather than the dog expressing herself differently one way or the other. 

If it looks physical and has a lot of greyhound in her try reducing the amount she runs. A greyhound heavy lurcher will have a lot of development left to do. 

• Like 1

It’s a strange movement like her back legs are straight just giving her hips a turn as she walks has no effect on her run and don’t really notice it on way out on when going back to the car 

2 hours ago, Pirate 9000 said:

Had a deerhound greyhound in the 80s that had hip displasier it was most noticeable when she ran,3 out of the litter of 8 it showed up in by 6 months and ended the running carreers of most of the others by 3 years old.

that really surprised  me , only thought  other breeds got HD  ,  and running dogs didnt get it , more so what you had  a long dog. i asked 2 vets  about HD  , as my big dog Buck 1/2 gsd and   it in the gsd along with elbow probs , both told me that if he did get it, it wouldnt be as bad as pure gsd, as the greyhound  norm have good hips and elbows , but suppose  any dog can get then really .?

Well i cant,t see anything up with the dog , its just walking with a powerfull muscled up stride, maybe its different as you say when a bit tired ,,, lets see a video of that.

But no dog looks fine in that clip.

• Like 2

Looks very heavily muscled for a sapling that's not yet one year old. How much hard galloping does she get a day? Looks quite stiff around the hip area, which is not to say its the hips, but possibly the stifle joint that is affecting the hip movement.  But, with a lot of Greyhound in the mix, a lurcher will have a lot more muscle than one with, say, Saluki in it, and they do appear much stiffer. Can you go a video from the side, both trotting and walking? Get someone else to lead her out.