Gravity = 9.81Nm/s2

It has nothing to do with magnets or spinning motion, it's the amount of stuff that something is made off...... and yes there is a giant magnet in the centre of the earth (metal core)! The spinning action of this and the liquid spinning around it, generate electricity and electomagmetism which is what protects the earth from the lethal effects of the sun and stops us all cookin ?

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Flat Earth Society has lots of followers from all over the globe.

Vaguely relevant to the thread...  

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Before I continue I would just like to clarify, I don't no any of the people involved or what led them to the conclusion we are on a flat surface and I care not one way or tother, but for the purposes of debate, if what your saying is true and correct and I have no reason to doubt or disbelieve you, why is there not gravity on the moon if it's a mass like earth, ?? bet you,ll wish you were,nt the brainy one by the end of this thread mate ??

Gravity on the moon is roughly 1/6th of Earth's gravity as it's mass is roughly a 1/6th of Earth's mass ?

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, mushroom said:

Gravity = 9.81Nm/s2

It has nothing to do with magnets or spinning motion, it's the amount of stuff that something is made off...... and yes there is a giant magnet in the centre of the earth (metal core)! The spinning action of this and the liquid spinning around it, generate electricity and electomagmetism which is what protects the earth from the lethal effects of the sun and stops us all cookin ?

see now what's happening by disproving one group we are confirming another, that's the group that claims the moon is hollow ?

16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Before I continue I would just like to clarify, I don't no any of the people involved or what led them to the conclusion we are on a flat surface and I care not one way or tother, but for the purposes of debate, if what your saying is true and correct and I have no reason to doubt or disbelieve you, why is there not gravity on the moon if it's a mass like earth, ?? bet you,ll wish you were,nt the brainy one by the end of this thread mate ??

No that's okay mate.

There is gravity on the moon, it's just less strong because it is smaller (less mass). Very simply, gravity is an attractive force between massive objects. By 'massive' I mean 'things' that have mass. Two paperclips will have a gravitation pull on oneanother, just as you and I do now. All masses exert and react to the force of gravity. The reason the two paperclips on your desk don't fly together under their attractive gravity is because their mass is small and so the a amount of gravity force they exert is infinitesimally tiny and so are not able to overcome the other resistive forces acting against that motion, like the friction with the desk.

People tend to misunderstand the concept of gravity as they tend to think that only big stuff, like planets, have gravity. This is because from our perspective the little things move towards the big things. But in truth the apple is pulling the Earth to it just as the Earth is pulling the apple towards itself. The reason we see the apple move is because we are fixed/stationary relative to the earth (a Physicist would say that "we're in the Earth's reference frame") and also because the apples mass is tiny relative to the Earth and so it accelerates much faster when gravity pulls between the Earth and apple.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

To clarify 

Acceleration due to gravity is what we are talking about here, in essence the force of gravity.

Earth is 9.81Nm/s2 

The moon is 1.6something Nm/s2

What this means is if you drop an object from the same height with no additional force (such as throwing it) it will be drawn to the ground, accelerating to it's terminal velocity (let's ignore air friction and other interferables for now) at 9.81Nm/s2..... on the moon it will accelerate slower because there is less force acting upon it.

Here's one to blow your mind; in a vacuum like space or the moon, if I drop a bowling bowl and a feather from the same height, they will both hit the ground at the same time ??

• Like 1

Think I,ll stick with misplaced beasts, much easier for the un enlightened to grasp, but thanks for the explanations it's good to learn even for an old dog like me, every day's a school day,not only can I tell them there wrong now but I can explain why  they are???

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

No that's okay mate.

There is gravity on the moon, it's just less strong because it is smaller (less mass). Very simply, gravity is an attractive force between massive objects. By 'massive' I mean 'things' that have mass. Two paperclips will have a gravitation pull on oneanother, just as you and I do now. All masses exert and react to the force of gravity. The reason the two paperclips on your desk don't fly together under their attractive gravity is because their mass is small and so the a amount of gravity force they exert is infinitesimally tiny and so are not able to overcome the other resistive forces acting against that motion, like the friction with the desk.

People tend to misunderstand the concept of gravity as they tend to think that only big stuff, like planets, have gravity. This is because from our perspective the little things move towards the big things. But in truth the apple is pulling the Earth to it just as the Earth is pulling the apple towards itself. The reason we see the apple move is because we are fixed/stationary relative to the earth (a Physicist would say that "we're in the Earth's reference frame") and also because the apples mass is tiny relative to the Earth and so it accelerates much faster when gravity pulls between the Earth and apple.

So what your saying is the more mass an object has the more it will attract smaller objects nearby? That's plainly untrue as the massive fat bird four doors away holds no attraction to me whatsoever but the gym queen at number 43 would definitely get it and her mass is probably a quarter of the lardarses mass. I rest my case....

• Haha 2
On 18/06/2018 at 16:46, ChrisJones said:

My favourite bit about the poster in that shop window is that it says there is no evidence of gravity yet it's held in the window with sellotape.

Which doesn't rely on gravity ?

• Haha 1