Amazed how in the last few years how people are coming back to the collie xs an bedlington xs

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day,...I worked with an old rabbit catcher. We traveled all along the South coast and snared and ferreted hundreds of rabbits...  We slept in the old Bedford van and parked up i

Collie bedlington mix young bitch I’m hoping for good things from

Here is another old favorite of mine for you Bonny Lad...he loved the Roe with all his heart...

Posted Images

The world has changed and not for the better, i would love to go back to those days lugging a small car battery around instead of a motorbike battery that lasted 1 hour. Christ i wish i was as fit now as i was then, jumping ditches that would crease me now me , out till 4 in the morning and work next day never bothered me. I consider myself lucky to be born when i was, i remember walking down the street with a shotgun so long as the barrels were broken the police didnt give a shit. Halcyon days never to return . UNFORTUNATELY.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

The world has changed and not for the better, i would love to go back to those days lugging a small car battery around instead of a motorbike battery that lasted 1 hour. Christ i wish i was as fit now as i was then, jumping ditches that would crease me now me , out till 4 in the morning and work next day never bothered me. I consider myself lucky to be born when i was, i remember walking down the street with a shotgun so long as the barrels were broken the police didnt give a shit. Halcyon days never to return . UNFORTUNATELY.

Walking down the street wi a shotgun how old are you hundred and sixty eight 

26 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

Believe me mate where i live in early 70s  they did not bother you. Saturday and sunday morning the local pub had an armoury stashed in the corner , shooting  working the dogs, poaching was a way of life.

Fair play mate must be a good old place love it 

Think in the early 80s you could carry an air rifle as long as it's barrel was broken but a SG had to be in a slip, to be legal but not everyone bothered, seen guns stacked up behind a pub door back in the day.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

Believe me mate where i live in early 70s  they did not bother you. Saturday and sunday morning the local pub had an armoury stashed in the corner , shooting  working the dogs, poaching was a way of life.

I think it was like that most places mate. Times, dogmen and dogs have gone downhill alarmingly the last 30 years. And I sometimes think how lucky we were before all the modern day way of conducting yourself came in. Sad, but inevitable I suppose

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Walking down the street wi a shotgun how old are you hundred and sixty eight 

Believe it. England has changed so much in the last 40 years that is not so much a different country as on a different planet compared to how it was.

We could use public transport with terriers. Tools and all.

We could walk back into the estate we lived on carrying gutted rabbits and hares after catching them on the remnants of the surrounding farmland. . No one took offence at this.

The first time that I was abruptly made aware of the change in attitude towards the things that I loved to do with those that don't was when a girl spat in my face. Ferrets down, nets in place, two terriers on guard on local land and a girl approached me (she was trespassing but so was I) , called me a c##t and said " I hope you die of cancer!". Then she spat at me. She was with a bloke but he kept his neck.

Then came he whole "badger baiting" thing. Anyone who walked out with terriers ran the risk of being accused of this crime. And they had a helicopter.

In a very short space of time it went from a love hunting to being treated like a criminal.

• Like 6

I still walk down the roads when out lamping fields either side with a lurcher and lamp and most don't care odd one shouts out " oii I'm calling police" I just laugh and carry on police take about 20 minutes to arrive by that time I'm on the next place ?

• Like 1

we used to hunt the railway sidings that came from the pit, one morning about half 5 the dog cought a rabbit running towards the bridge where a load of miners were stood the cheers were deafening lol another time fly ran a hare off some land by the village all over some allotments and killed it on the grass opposite the pub, again the response was positive every one knew us, any way get locked up now fkn sad.

• Like 1

Back in the day,...I worked with an old rabbit catcher.

We traveled all along the South coast and snared and ferreted hundreds of rabbits...

We slept in the old Bedford van and parked up in the farmyards..

Ferreting alongside public footpaths, we encountered plenty of folks, from dog walkers to ramblers,... I don't remember anyone showing anything other, than a deep-seated interest in our activities. If they wanted to stand and watch rabbits hitting the nets, we did not mind, just as long as they were quiet.

Sometimes we would be carrying bundles of shushis back to the truck and folk would stop us and ask to buy a brace, often the entire day's catch would be sold before we reached the vehicle.  Things were different then,...people were different...:yes:

img009_tif.jpg.d7a384fcf14d2d0a70c4b2555f391bb5.jpg

• Like 17

on the odd occasion when I'm up on the dales ferreting, a walker will stop to see what I'm doing etc...Often they will spend half an hour asking questions and watching in amazement at the dogs and ferrets etc. I must admit that in all that time I've never had anyone become negative or aggressive etc towards what I'm doing. . . they seem to understand its all part of the ways of the countryside.

its when you're near the town and cities and dealing with numpties who watch and listen to Cwiss Pakman and that curly haired tosser from Queen... they're the ones ya can't have a logical conversation with.