PURE !!!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when I think back...i wanted a real deal killing machine back then ..i had to get the bus from Cork city,to rosslare ,then the ferry to pembrooke...then a bus from there to newbury ,where i was picked

Nowadays, the knowledgeable and open-minded lurcher breeder,..has much more choice, than in previous times... Unfortunately,..now that we finally have, the tools for the job,..any job,...we have

That would be the Dingo,good hunters and pets and the abbo's used to eat them when times were tough.Now bred by Davo down the road who keeps to himself.Good on ya Davo..

Posted Images

Cracking vid Sandy. I like watching galgos run but usually get bored after 20 mins or so. This one I watched all the way. A few dodgy slips but I guess it happens on walked up meets. The ground looked right hard and stony. I doubt if many greys ( or lurchers even?) would have come up sound after running on that.

• Like 1

must have decent feet, land looks shocking, but still sham like greys here, I remember running in a double hander in Scotland just before their ban, all the dogs were decent single handed dogs and I don't think one hare got away sadly, and that was stony land.

One problem over here these days is shorter and shorter slips, 3 or 4 hares from kick ups is a different matter to the slips the Galgos get. When a dog has to make up a good lead at top speed but still has a course in the tank is when the good uns show.

An example of short slips

https://youtu.be/zUY1llXARXE?t=153

https://youtu.be/goZy0qdcGmQ

some do better

https://youtu.be/Pi9F-PS6vuI

but............................

1 hour ago, two crows said:

totally agree about the kick up thing a whippet can catch kick ups all day long, but  wheather there used badley or not our coursing dogs are the best in the world for me.

Think the Spanish would claim the same? in both cases big fish in little ponds springs to mind ?.

I expect each country that has a coursing heritage would also say the same. We thought we had the best coursing dogs in the world then saluki blood made them better. The Spanish likely made the cross a thousand years before us so can claim some seniority plus have a little experience with breeding best to best.

As usual it's going to come down to ground, slips and personal choice.

If this turned up for a meet it would fit right in.

received_1611703215589652.thumb.jpeg.5ae09b44745276c54b7446654f7ce70c.jpeg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I knew you had one what is she like realy  single handed with fair law for several runs,and when you consider what we have here in 50 years not thousands I don't think we done bad mate do you. it all about what suits your needs at the end of the day.atb

DSCF7312.JPG

• Like 5

Pup looking well.

The Galgo does alright, no slouch and can stay if needed. Came on well with a bit of experience outside of competing. Well enough to persuade me to look at bringing a pup over soon and the dog pictured is my preferred sire. 

• Like 1

thank you that's her now, the depth of breeding in our modern coursing dogs today is fantastic, and the physical quality of the faster lines is such, that I believe there a better dog to cross with a base breed to produce a lurcher than ever a greyhound was. just mhop.

DSCF7522.JPG

• Like 4
On 20 June 2018 at 15:04, two crows said:

thank you that's her now, the depth of breeding in our modern coursing dogs today is fantastic, and the physical quality of the faster lines is such, that I believe there a better dog to cross with a base breed to produce a lurcher than ever a greyhound was. just mhop.

DSCF7522.JPG

Definitely  ate bill

1 hour ago, two crows said:

DSCF7522.JPG

Without the greyhound there wouldn't be a modern coursing type and it's pure physicality brings a lot but having said that if I wanted a dog to compete against a decent galgo or uk coursing type I'd get a galgo or coursing type.

On 20 June 2018 at 16:17, sandymere said:

Without the greyhound there wouldn't be a modern coursing type and it's pure physicality brings a lot but having said that if I wanted a dog to compete against a decent galgo or uk coursing type I'd get a galgo or coursing type.

That's not what's been said  , two crows mentions that same has others that the modern fast type coursing stuff better start fa base bred lurchers ,there's plenty greyhound  in them .thats how the fast type developed  has galago would be in all probability a better  type than a greyhound .thing his with the ban and would take forty yrs of best ta best breeding ,I believe those men and women all but nearly gone to develop another type two compete our coursing reds them galagos go well but they ain't like our best coursing stock fact in any country land type etc. Our coursing breeds reign supreme.atb bill

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, billhardy said:

That's not what's been said  , two crows mentions that same has others that the modern fast type coursing stuff better start fa base bred lurchers ,there's plenty greyhound  in them .thats how the fast type developed  has galago would be in all probability a better  type than a greyhound .

And if you read what I said I agreed 

"If  I wanted a dog to compete against a decent galgo or uk coursing type I'd get a galgo or coursing type."

14 minutes ago, billhardy said:

they ain't like our best coursing stock fact in any country land type etc. Our coursing breeds reign supreme.atb bill

And as I pointed out the Spanish say there's are better lol. A galgaro, after looking at some of the YouTube links I sent him gently suggested that we are unsportsmanlike giving such short law. He questioned if ours could cope with the longer slips.

As I say it's a big world out there and we've all got the best coursing dogs in the world ?

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

And if you read what I said I agreed 

"If  I wanted a dog to compete against a decent galgo or uk coursing type I'd get a galgo or coursing type."

And as I pointed out the Spanish say there's are better lol. A galgaro, after looking at some of the YouTube links I sent him gently suggested that we are unsportsmanlike giving such short law. He questioned if ours could cope with the longer slips.

As I say it's a big world out there and we've all got the best coursing dogs in the world ?

Long slips my arse