WANTED. collie x greyhound puppy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't have much luck replying to your question through messages.....so I'll try here.... Mines not as busy, busy as a springer ,neither crashes cover like one, but has the drive to hunt of one.

A lot of guys stipulate, that it must be a genuine, Collie x Greyhound that they desire,..but in reality,..they don't really need such an animal..... Most lads would be far better served with a c

Sounds good fun Shortstraw I've kept all sorts, big and small, fast (and not so fast)...and enjoyed working with them all, but ya can't beat having a bit of a mouch, with a genuine hunting cur...

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Mustelid said:

I keep Springers and cockers and would love a lurcher with some spaniel blood. I can't see why they wouldn't work.

They do work......I think they're  for a specific type of person though...someone who appreciates watching a dog hunt rather than just chase and catch. There's better catch dogs, but it's not all about that for me.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

They do work......I think they're  for a specific type of person though...someone who appreciates watching a dog hunt rather than just chase and catch. There's better catch dogs, but it's not all about that for me.

Do you own a spaniel lurcher? 

47 minutes ago, japs eye said:

yes mate there not for me as theres only a tiny bit collie in them but thanks for that anyway poxon.

This bitch here’s out the same stuff although not a high percentage of collie still more than enough to work with ferrets,find an catch and work the lamp 

6133F10D-75FB-46FF-9734-11A2D344F707.jpeg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Mustelid said:

Do you own a spaniel lurcher? 

Didn't have much luck replying to your question through messages.....so I'll try here....

Mines not as busy, busy as a springer ,neither crashes cover like one, but has the drive to hunt of one. Very gentle, loving nature and extremely bright. My positive comments for this breed are solely based on the style of hunting I do which is walking while the dog hunts in the day (95%) occasionally walking at night with my torch. You will get faster chase and catch dogs. It's not interested in foxes etc which suits me just fine. If you wanted a dog to bolt to if you were doing bushing there's also better suited dogs. But as a dog for mooching companion the amount of stuff caught compared to other dogs I've owned is much higher, even though slower......uses a style that works well where not just speed is necessary.....good field craft.  I've been sat down having a cuppa in the edge of a field and I've heard a squeal looked up to be brought back a nice big surprise out of its seat twenty yards from me.....stalks etc and slowly walks up to places where things have been before, crafty. I have to admit I'm a bit old school and it's not about numbers for me, it's about getting out for some brain refreshment and away from everything else and it helps not to have a breed of dog that does your head in and needs stuff putting in front of it. To me a pure pleasure to own and work and I'm quite happy that there's not loads out there.......I think if your someone who likes springers and a dog that hunts then you may just like the springer lurcher.....but if you wanted something to catch that your springers bolt you may find a better suited type of dog, but saying that mines probably only around 40% sighthound at a guess.

Shortstraw

• Like 9
11 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Didn't have much luck replying to your question through messages.....so I'll try here....

Mines not as busy, busy as a springer ,neither crashes cover like one, but has the drive to hunt of one. Very gentle, loving nature and extremely bright. My positive comments for this breed are solely based on the style of hunting I do which is walking while the dog hunts in the day (95%) occasionally walking at night with my torch. You will get faster chase and catch dogs. It's not interested in foxes etc which suits me just fine. If you wanted a dog to bolt to if you were doing bushing there's also better suited dogs. But as a dog for mooching companion the amount of stuff caught compared to other dogs I've owned is much higher, even though slower......uses a style that works well where not just speed is necessary.....good field craft.  I've been sat down having a cuppa in the edge of a field and I've heard a squeal looked up to be brought back a nice big surprise out of its seat twenty yards from me.....stalks etc and slowly walks up to places where things have been before, crafty. I have to admit I'm a bit old school and it's not about numbers for me, it's about getting out for some brain refreshment and away from everything else and it helps not to have a breed of dog that does your head in and needs stuff putting in front of it. To me a pure pleasure to own and work and I'm quite happy that there's not loads out there.......I think if your someone who likes springers and a dog that hunts then you may just like the springer lurcher.....but if you wanted something to catch that your springers bolt you may find a better suited type of dog, but saying that mines probably only around 40% sighthound at a guess.

Shortstraw

What is the breeding of the lurcher side?