Big old dog

23 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Looks like he’s been in a scrape before Ian. Could’ve been hit by a car at some time and taken to the rescue centre. Nursed and released maybe? 

That was my thoughts also.

Just shows how adaptable they are, he is well, or was!

Reminds me of nearly thirty years ago.

I was trying to develop a tight shooting buck shot load from a savage 67 (I think). I got a mild load that kept a load of LG tight but every now and then got lousy ignition, think the powder was Unique and I was pushing my luck with it!

Anyway one night while poacher watching I sees this fox in my torch and follows it.

It went through a gate and as I followed and looked over the gate it was there, less than 25yds!

Pop, went the gun! Yep you guessed it, a dud!

Three months later I shot a fox in the same area with a missing back leg just like your fox!

I switched powders after, maybe Herco and the LG went eventually, I think I killed two or three with that load.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Looks like he’s been in a scrape before Ian. Could’ve been hit by a car at some time and taken to the rescue centre. Nursed and released maybe? 

A friend of mine runs a small shoot near thirsk North Yorkshire, last year and the year before that they were over run with fox and some of them they shot had eyes missing and wonky legs, turns out there’s a wild animal rescue centre near and they were releasing them around his land, needless to say he wasn’t very happy and made a point of telling them what had happened to them, funny he didn’t see many over the winter 

• Like 1

That's been happening on me for years but the land owner has put a automatically locked gate up and they have stopped dropping them on me now.

Every two weeks or so I could go and shoot a fox or two relatively easy!

U.

• Like 1

I suppose if fox shooting is your thing and you like the sport of it then you could almost use it like a game shoot, if you kept it quiet from the rescue centre they fix a load of urban’s for you and even drop them off, you couldn’t ask for a better service ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh yes, and many years back now I did select a relatively young vixen in late summer to try.    I thought that would give me the best/tastiest/tender option, carefully butchered and joint and leg delicately roasted.

I'll not be giving it a second try!  :no:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4