World Cup 2018

World's greatest is always hard.  It's always attacking/skill/strikers who spring to mind.  Football purists might see the players behind the strikers as just as important.  

I might have said it on here before but to use a NHL comparison. Wayne Gretzky was simply the best their ever was , his stats are unreal . But they say he would never have been as good without Marty mcsorley protecting him and giving him space and protection to perform .

This is his take on how he would protect one of the newer skilled players in the league 

“If the other team is looking to intimidate him or take an extra stride or two to hit him – finish him – or make sure they’ve got his number targeted, then, at that point, I’m going to react. I’m going to let them know that that’s not acceptable.”

is Messi as good as he is because he's got busquets mopping up everything and Xavi/iniesta to take players away and create space? space

its so hard to decide I try not to think about it as it's fries my head 

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday afternoon's scenes were remarkable, drunk men openly sobbing and crying, women and children jumping up and down screaming and shouting, but that's enough about Scotland. Well done Engla

Just been watching the English and Swedish fans chanting at each other English fans were "YOUR SHIT BUT YOUR BIRDS ARE FIT" Swedish retorted "GO HOME TO YOUR UGLY WIVES" 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, John d said:

While it obviously helps having ineista and xavi on his team, Messi has created thousands individual moments of magic out of nothing to show how good he really is. Same with ronaldo......on who is the best, who really gives a f**k?? We are lucky to have two of the best ever in out midst this week so just enjoy them both for their individual talents

Yeah , the last decade without then two would have been a shame 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

World's greatest is always hard.  It's always attacking/skill/strikers who spring to mind.  Football purists might see the players behind the strikers as just as important.  

I might have said it on here before but to use a NHL comparison. Wayne Gretzky was simply the best their ever was , his stats are unreal . But they say he would never have been as good without Marty mcsorley protecting him and giving him space and protection to perform .

This is his take on how he would protect one of the newer skilled players in the league 

“If the other team is looking to intimidate him or take an extra stride or two to hit him – finish him – or make sure they’ve got his number targeted, then, at that point, I’m going to react. I’m going to let them know that that’s not acceptable.”

is Messi as good as he is because he's got busquets mopping up everything and Xavi/iniesta to take players away and create space? space

its so hard to decide I try not to think about it as it's fries my head 

That’s always been my argument 

Messi has always always had a very good club side around him but internationally only rarely has the same calibre of performance 

can you say the same about ronaldo ? 

9 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

Your lot should be ok , just hope group games give them a bit of confidence so if they get past groups against a better team they don't shit themselves . I think if he gets service vsrdy could prove really good if you get far . He's probably the one player for England who I can imagine literally has no fear whover he faces.  I can imagine him bouncing to play against any of the top defenders . Even if their better than him I reckon all he needs is half a chance and he'll be in . I reckon Kane might bomb a bit in the tournemnt . He's class no doupt but so much hinges on him might be to much . Someone like vardy I like his grit and determination to get at players 

fair point that  mate , yeh vardy   , will deff be up for a goal given the slight  of chances , going forward  we not to bad  and  i like Rashford   he could hit the net as well. But your right mate if we get out of our group , still big if lol   , we   struggle against   world class teams  like Spain, Germany  , but as they say in football , anything can happen in 90 mins   .!!

Watching France v Australia on BBC and they’ve got P Neville, Drogba and some wee burd doing the punditry. Granted she’s easier on the eye than Lawro or Fanny Murphy, but is she really qualified to give expert analysis on what is the pinnacle of international football?

Surely to fcuk this isn’t what equal opportunity is about!!

• Like 2

Spot on mate , my 14 month old boy is more effective in an Argentina strip than Messi 

shame as for the last two years he’s been in a rare run of good international performances. 

Apoarently he’s a very introverted character I wonder if the burden of a legacy from Maradona effects him in that famous blue and white strip 

Ronaldo best player atm.  He shows this most of the time playing for Madrid and then is still consistent when playing for Portugal. Carries Portugal at times by him self. 

Messi done nothing in today's match against Iceland. Ronaldo got a Hat trick against one of the best teams in the world. 

I think Messi peaked about 4 years ago, whereas Ronaldo has kept a steady ship all the way through. I'd say Messi is the more naturally gifted footballer but Ronaldo trains harder and really wants it more.

I never really rated Zidane as highly as some do, I thought he was a good midfielder in an era of gifted midfielders, Zidane, Figo, Rui Costa, Scholes, Vieira etc. 

Some peoples comments are hilarious re Ronaldo... yes he is big headed, yes he does love himself but probably does more for children and various charities around the world than any other footballer today.

On the pitch he has consistently played in teams that had a lot more average players than Messi, Messi has been surrounded by top players at Barcelona since day 1. What Ronaldo did at Manchester, Real Madrid and Portugal over the last decade has been nothing short of amazing, his stats, his records, his achievements and when them teams need someone to dig them out of a hole he's the man that does it. Credit where credit is due lads...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Spot on mate , my 14 month old boy is more effective in an Argentina strip than Messi 

shame as for the last two years he’s been in a rare run of good international performances. 

Apoarently he’s a very introverted character I wonder if the burden of a legacy from Maradona effects him in that famous blue and white strip 

I think his introvert character comes from his autism 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I think Messi peaked about 4 years ago, whereas Ronaldo has kept a steady ship all the way through. I'd say Messi is the more naturally gifted footballer but Ronaldo trains harder and really wants it more.

I never really rated Zidane as highly as some do, I thought he was a good midfielder in an era of gifted midfielders, Zidane, Figo, Rui Costa, Scholes, Vieira etc. 

The true shame of the golden generation of England players  was that all the time the manager was trying to show horn Lampard and Gerrard into the same 11 , the team should have been built around Scholes and a holding midfielder like batty, Barry , carrick etc . 

Sad but I believe hoddle would have realised this and been the one to take England to the holy grail 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lusitano said:

Some peoples comments are hilarious re Ronaldo... yes he is big headed, yes he does love himself but probably does more for children and various charities around the world than any other footballer today.

On the pitch he has consistently played in teams that had a lot more average players than Messi, Messi has been surrounded by top players at Barcelona since day 1. What Ronaldo did at Manchester, Real Madrid and Portugal over the last decade has been nothing short of amazing, his stats, his records, his achievements and when them teams need someone to dig them out of a hole he's the man that does it. Credit where credit is due lads...

I agree, smart arsed fecker but seemingly a good man,  brilliant player and consummate professional, what's the betting he's at the next world cup, the way he keeps himself in shape?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2