Aye yeoman/no3 good with steel?

Hi everyone. Was hoping to have an attempt at some duck shooting on a few small splashes on a syndicate I’m on this coming season and was wondering about the more experienced Fowler’s opinions on using non steel proofed AYA sbs, choked 1/2 or under with standard velocity steel cartridges as I know that a steel proofed gun would be needed for HP steels.  Just wanting something I can beat up without crying about it.

feel free to share your thoughts

• 2 months later...

I’m not gonna say you’ll be good, nor don’t do it, but why not skip the steel and shoot bismuth? Bismuth performs better, is not terribly expensive, can be found with fibre wads, and the new upland loads are slower and lower pressure. The slower low pressure loads should be fine for that gun and are sufficient to kill fowl (remember, the high speed fowl loads came about as a result of steel being lighter than lead). The slower loads will be easier on the shoulder than high speed steel, too.  You should be able to kill ducks with #5 shot out to 40 yards. 

Anyway, good luck and have fun  

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 13:36, Flairball said:

I’m not gonna say you’ll be good, nor don’t do it, but why not skip the steel and shoot bismuth? Bismuth performs better, is not terribly expensive, can be found with fibre wads, and the new upland loads are slower and lower pressure. The slower low pressure loads should be fine for that gun and are sufficient to kill fowl (remember, the high speed fowl loads came about as a result of steel being lighter than lead). The slower loads will be easier on the shoulder than high speed steel, too.  You should be able to kill ducks with #5 shot out to 40 yards. 

Sorry for late reply, haven't been on the forum in donkeys.  I was considering bismuth and for how much I'd be going out after ducks, the price isn't too bad, thank you for the feedback

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 22/08/2018 at 13:36, Flairball said:

Hi ya mate do you know any where here that sells bismuth upland loads? I'm hoping to acquire some in 3" otherwise if not gonna have to look I to homeloading.