BSF rifle

My son in law has just been given a BSF Mod S60 spring air rifle which I think may be in the region of 30 years old and made in Germany west as printed on the gun. Anyone have any info on these. I will get some photo's and post them on here.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil,

BSF Bavaria Sport Fabrik, made in west Germany, Bavaria.

Remember the Mercury, Air Sporter,  Relum Tornado, Webley Vulcan etc, etc, they were all classed as high powered air rifles when I was a kid. Well they were all chugging along at 10.5 ft/lbs if you were very lucky.

The FWB Sport was way ahead of the crowd and the BSF Bavaria 55, S 60, S70 and later S80 were up there with ease in the power ratings also, at just under the legal limit if my memory is correct ?

My mate Kev` Campbell had the S60, a very solid, heavy steel, build to last, type rifle but he just could not tame her hold sensitivity, boy are these rifles hold sensitive  :no: and he went on and part chopped the BSF for a standard HW 35 .22.

A long ago memory for me Phil, hope it helps any ?

Phil, if your Son-in-law wants to pass that rifle on, can this working home have first refusal please ?

atb  Mark.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, philpot said:

My son in law has just been given a BSF Mod S60 spring air rifle which I think may be in the region of 30 years old and made in Germany west as printed on the gun. Anyone have any info on these. I will get some photo's and post them on here.

Phil

Brilliant. I had a b55 venom custom with tyrolean stock. How I regret selling that one.? ??really well made guns.Please sell it to me?.........please

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, mark williams said:

Hi Phil,

BSF Bavaria Sport Fabrik, made in west Germany, Bavaria.

Remember the Mercury, Air Sporter,  Relum Tornado, Webley Vulcan etc, etc, they were all classed as high powered air rifles when I was a kid. Well they were all chugging along at 10.5 ft/lbs if you were very lucky.

The FWB Sport was way ahead of the crowd and the BSF Bavaria 55, S 60, S70 and later S80 were up there with ease in the power ratings also, at just under the legal limit if my memory is correct ?

My mate Kev` Campbell had the S60, a very solid, heavy steel, build to last, type rifle but he just could not tame her hold sensitivity, boy are these rifles hold sensitive  :no: and he went on and part chopped the BSF for a standard HW 35 .22.

A long ago memory for me Phil, hope it helps any ?

Phil, if your Son-in-law wants to pass that rifle on, can this working home have first refusal please ?

atb  Mark.

I agree about the airsporters doing 10.5 if you’re lucky Mark, but the Vulcans were nudging the limit even in .177. ?

1 minute ago, mark williams said:

Mine didn`t RB :no: :laugh:

You had the bad ‘un Mark?. I still have mine, .177 and it’s properly on the limit. It’s on its second spring mind? A few lads had them back then and they were more powerful than the airsporters and hw35’s. Snappy to shoot though.

• Like 1

I didn’t half hanker after one of those fwb’s like yours though Mark. I remember seeing an airmasters 88 fwb sport with custom stock. What a beautiful piece that was. As was my bsf b55 venom custom. Lovely guns even today, just like a walk down memory lane.?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I didn’t half hanker after one of those fwb’s like yours though Mark. I remember seeing an airmasters 88 fwb sport with custom stock. What a beautiful piece that was. As was my bsf b55 venom custom. Lovely guns even today, just like a walk down memory lane.?

Both of my FWB`s are fitted with brand new, sized Air Master piston seals, original unused FWB main springs original internals, all mirror polished and correctly lubed.

Both are hovering at 11.6 and 11.7 ft/lbs for two years now.

Fantastic rifles.

atb  Mark.

• Like 2

I actually got a quick look at the rifle in question last night but was on my way out so didn't have time to play with it. The wood is spot on with no rough treatment showing at all but the metalwork is in need of a little TLC as there is some rust spots on quite a bit of it. This is not however a rustbucket by any means and a few wipes with steel wool, will remove the rust spots easily. 

Now the next step for my son in law is to give the rifle to me.............................well I doubt that will happen so I need to look for cold 'bluing' repair solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

When I get hold of the gun to play with, I will check FPE/FPS and get a couple of photos to post up on here.

Phil

• Like 1
6 hours ago, philpot said:

I actually got a quick look at the rifle in question last night but was on my way out so didn't have time to play with it. The wood is spot on with no rough treatment showing at all but the metalwork is in need of a little TLC as there is some rust spots on quite a bit of it. This is not however a rustbucket by any means and a few wipes with steel wool, will remove the rust spots easily. 

Now the next step for my son in law is to give the rifle to me.............................well I doubt that will happen so I need to look for cold 'bluing' repair solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

When I get hold of the gun to play with, I will check FPE/FPS and get a couple of photos to post up on here.

Phil

Before using wire wool, try rubbing a copper penny over the oiled rust spots. The penny will remove the rust without damaging the blueing. Just lightly rub the coin over the oiled rust using just one finger on the coin.

• Thanks 1