Looks don't matter

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just wouldn't get a pup I didn't like the look of so looks are important I guess to me but what I take as a good looking dog mite be a ugly fecker to someone else so guess it's each to there own 

Looks don't matter but the trained eye has a good idea on confirmation, leg knuckle, feet, length of back, etc..... can make a big difference on how a dog performs physically.

Best looking lurcher I ever owned had barely a tooth in his head, ears in tatters, 1/4 of his tail missing, a toe missing but to anyone that new him and seen him work he was a stunner.

Posted Images

Of course you'll never know what worker you may be investing in for maybe a year or 2. Conversely you can't see if  an 8 week old pup will be a looker, some don't blossom into lookers even though they were nice pups

I certainly wouldn't pick a stud dog on looks  or colour . But you may like a "type" be that build ,size , or coat ,and that may suit where you work the dog ,or may prefer racy over strong . I think we all have one eye on certain things that appeal .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kerny92 said:

Another question i can think of that will warrant a thread. Would you personally buy a dog off a top breeding despite it looking weedy and lacking good confirmation? I don't know if i could accept second best despite it having great parents.

Definitely not. But that's me. There's been a few times over the years where I've fancied a stronger, sounder looking pup over it's siblings, and by the time they're 7 - 8 months, mine have been slightly overtaken physically by a couple of the other siblings lol.

• Like 1

Sound construction can mean that a dog is less likely to pick up injuries and more likely to run well. I don't mean whether a dog is light and racy or heavy and strong, but whether its well balanced and proportioned.

Now to me, those qualities ARE what makes a dog nice looking.

Feet are another discussion altogether as the shape, ie. cat footed vs. flat footed seems less important than the strength of bone and cartilage in there, and to my mind a bit of sensible exercise on hill and woodland while still a pup helps here. Maybe it helps them deveop a sensible running style too???

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I get the drift, regarding looks, over working ability, and perhaps it is simply pure coincidence....but the best dogs I have EVER seen in action,.... all looked good...:yes:

Correct Phil, beauty is as beauty does.

I usually let my misses pick the pup they’ve all come from the same parents so it’s a lucky dip in my eyes get on with it , I’d happy have a bald short weird looking dog that did the job 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Black neck said:

If it looks the part it usally is 

You look at any decent working dog whatever cross or pure you can tell if its right to do the job wether it does or not different matter 

What are you confused about furgal that makes perfect sense

1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Sound construction can mean that a dog is less likely to pick up injuries and more likely to run well. I don't mean whether a dog is light and racy or heavy and strong, but whether its well balanced and proportioned.

Now to me, those qualities ARE what makes a dog nice looking.

Feet are another discussion altogether as the shape, ie. cat footed vs. flat footed seems less important than the strength of bone and cartilage in there, and to my mind a bit of sensible exercise on hill and woodland while still a pup helps here. Maybe it helps them deveop a sensible running style too???

1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Just to add, I agree it's hard to predict what a pup will grow into but if the parents both look and perform well, pick one that appeals and hope for the best!

What I was trying to say M F ?