I was wondering if anyone can remember the best bit of advice they received when starting out or something that they got told and have always stuck to.I was lucky enough to learn a lot from my father and also have few good dog men about as well   when I was a kid and if you showed a genuine interest and was OK they'd take you under there wing.but a few things that have stuck is never have a white dog (it wasn't because white dogs are bad think it was more they stand out when you was somewhere you shouldn't be?).stay away from saluki's(I've known a few good saluki crosses never owned 1).always leave earth's as you found them.and never hunt the same land more than a maximum once a month.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep your memories in the field.... Believe half of what your told.....  Always respect your dogs and quarry....   Don't piss on an electric fence lol?  

Best advice I was given is be careful who you mix with very true in this game loads of complete wankers in this game!  If buying a pup buy the best bred you can watch out for the peddler bred shi

Why not? It makes sure it's properly shut.

yeh my old man , said fook them  lurchers  running dogs off , and stick with the bull breeds we had back then, staffs,pit, bullmastiffs,  he was right  , there less game about now , to what there was 30 years ago , more people on your back , go out with running in the day , or lamp at night , more aggro  now  lurchers wernt  wanted on people ground 50 years ago, and there deff not wanted now . walk round with a bullmatiff   down a country lane , not many people say much farmers etc, walk with running dog   there  right on you or call the cops  deff .  !!

11 minutes ago, bird said:

yeh my old man , said fook them  lurchers  running dogs off , and stick with the bull breeds we had back then, staffs,pit, bullmastiffs,  he was right  , there less game about now , to what there was 30 years ago , more people on your back , go out with running in the day , or lamp at night , more aggro  now  lurchers wernt  wanted on people ground 50 years ago, and there deff not wanted now . walk round with a bullmatiff   down a country lane , not many people say much farmers etc, walk with running dog   there  right on you or call the cops  deff .  !!

It was never that bad up here till about 10-15 year ago when big groups with there dogs had a phase of coming round our area from a nearby town only probably for 5-6months no respect for the land or lifestock or anything and made it hot for everyone.takes along time for that to go back to the way it was when you'd get left alone to a degree

Best advice I was given is be careful who you mix with very true in this game loads of complete wankers in this game! 

If buying a pup buy the best bred you can watch out for the peddler bred shit don’t rush An don’t be afraid to walk away if there not what you expected or something is not right have your hopes high An don’t settle for less (ie you arrive to view the pups An there house is a shit hole followed by a messy garden an kennels...speaks volumes in to the care an attention gone in to the pups)

If you found your pup you have to believe in your head that the pups is going to be the best thing since sliced bread don’t let anyone say otherwise or your find your self slacking on bringing it on 

stay well away from adding pictures to the inter web as media data is a c**t don’t bum an blow 

work your dogs not your mouth 

stay humble 

Grub your dogs well 

if you end up with a genuine good dog keep an breed your own gear don’t breed from second rate stuff 

• Like 7