First Cross Bull/Greyhounds.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listen mate, they were well bred, well looked after animals. They just simply didn't have the stamina or the speed. And I'm not saying they didn't have the effort there, they were full of effort, but

I love bullx and if I had more lamping to do I’d keep one not just there work just having them around is easier than other Xs but down here now you will start to turn heads owning one to be honest I m

That's the truth

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Listen mate, they were well bred, well looked after animals. They just simply didn't have the stamina or the speed. And I'm not saying they didn't have the effort there, they were full of effort, but when we had them out with our Saluki or Greyhound bred lurchers it was like me chasing Mo Farah.

What quarry were you running like, trying to compare them to a Saluki cross against the Hare is foolish. They are not out and out Hare dogs, never will be. They are very capable rabbit dogs and excel at the bigger stuff.

Of course you will get dogs that throw heavy to the bull and some to the greyhound, if you're wanting a racier dog I'd always choose a pup with a lengthy back and plenty of knuckle on the legs. I think their versatility is massively underrated.

Edited by Kerny92
4 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Of course you will get dogs that throw heavy to the bull and some to the greyhound, if you're wanting a racier dog I'd always choose a pup with a lengthy back and legs. I think their versatility is massively underrated.

Yes they are versatile 

• Like 1
On 12/06/2018 at 20:22, Kerny92 said:

What quarry were you running like, trying to compare them to a Saluki cross against the Hare is foolish. They are not out and out Hare dogs, never will be. They are very capable rabbit dogs and excel at the bigger 

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
4 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

The only dogs I've seen be straight lined by Roe were bull crosses mate. Once they get their arse down they're some animal.

I've seen Deerhound/Saluki/Greyhound crosses straight lined by the biggest of species, it happens.

Had half x about 20 year ago 26 tts big strong dog but lacked speed moto dog but still found it hard to catch fox the dog was game an a one trick ponies really no speed to the dog he was sold on for the game he could catch 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

We'll agree to disagree. I've seen more than 2, but there was 2 I seen regular, every weekend and a couple of nights mid week against Saluki/ Greyhound bred dogs.

The same can be said of the dogs i saw, those Deerhound/Saluki crosses were huge dogs. They were around the 30 inch mark and they were straight lined by a stag, this animal wasn't a fresh animal as well. I'm not interested in a debate on which cross is better as there's so much variation out there judgement can't be made IMO.

• Like 1

I agree, it all falls down to personal experiences. From what I've personally seen, the Saluki/Greyhound types were the best all round lurcher, but to show I'm not breed blind, the best lurcher i've been out on a days digging with was a first cross Bull / Grey. Safe off the lead, safe with terriers, safe with sheep, could jump and was game as any dog I've seen. 

• Like 1