Two in the bag

Evening all, it’s been a while. What with work and life I just haven’t had the time to get out and do any shooting whatsoever. I’ve also been focusing a fair bit on my fishing in recent weeks so I’ve been putting the hours in on my local club waters. Tonight however, I finished work and realised that I actually had no plans. I’m working nights tomorrow night so it was the perfect chance to get out for a good few hours and try my luck. I was out for about 5 hours and it was great to just get out for a few hours. I got to the farm about 8ish so it was still plenty light. I had a wander with the rifle to no avail but the exercise was appreciated. As the light faded I headed back to the car to switch over to NV. I headed back out and got set up in a field that is normally good to see a bunny or two mooching. I sat waiting for the light to fade out completely and as it did they did start to come out. Unfortunately most were out of my range. I stalked a couple but these didn’t turn into anything and I ended up laying next to hedgerow to watch for an unfortunate rabbit popping out of the burrow. After a short while an eye appeared in the grass and began to come my way. I readied myself to take the first rabbit of the evening when suddenly it came into full sight and I realised it was a scraggy looking fox with apparently 1 eye. It got within a few feet and then suddenly realised that I was incredibly big for a rabbit and the gun I was holding was also not very rabbit-like. So he bolted. Unsurprisingly. The night went on and as I was getting despondent and ready to go I came across a good few rabbits lined up and munching along a hedgerow. I got down and lined up a shot. I pulled the trigger and watched the shot sail between the ears of a mighty lucky rabbit. However he didn’t seem to even realise so with a quick cycle of the bolt I sent another .22 Falcon accuracy Plus. This one found it’s way home and... I lost sight of it. I spent the next 20 minutes desperately searching the hedgerow. Only to find the rabbit had dropped on the spot and rolled behind a thistle. After taking a moment to pick up my dignity I was happy to count one in the bag. After a while out of things and a very long dry spell before that it was nice to finally see some success. I hung around for another but no luck. Then as I was heading back to the car I heard a rustle coming  from the orchard but it was loud so I thought it may be a fox again. Nope. A nice big rabbit hopped out of the grass into the open. In a swift motion I took the shot off the knee at 30 yards and he too dropped on the spot. Once at home i checked both rabbits for shot placement and couldn’t have been happier,  perfect shot right behind the eye on both! The first one was a youngster which wasnt the plan but it happens. 

I wont mention the shambolic gutting attempt in the field. I have never actually gutted a rabbit. I know how but damn it’s not to easy with a dull leatherman ?

all in In all I had a blast. I’m now absolutely knackered but two in the freezer and a smile on my face! What more can you ask for. 

378E98AD-418D-4291-8718-24D8B08D5BF4.thumb.jpeg.5cda5b8ff971d2a84cfead52830b9e12.jpeg

• Like 5

"The first one was a youngster which wasnt the plan but it happens"

The world of the sport shooter and the pest controller are very different!   I took 3 babies yesterday and it was probably their first forage above ground!     Babies grow up!

:thumbs:

At this time of year it seems if you take your eye off them you struggle to find them as you found out its worse at night out lamping i just drop my cap where i think i shot them and walk in ever increasing circles till i pick up the dead rabbit 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chrismdd said:

Great write-up of a nice session. Can be tough at this time of year until enough fields get cut and it doesn't get properly dark until very late.

I agree. The fact it’s not dark till 10ish is my main difficulty. The place I shoot is mostly grazing land so while there is a bit of brush Around the edges, for the most part it’s quite easy shooting (Just have to mind you don’t lay in the cow pats ?

• Like 1