LOOKING AFTER RIFLES

As you know i do a lot of refurbs on rifles

mind a lot have been given to the lads i do them for

But what fecks me off is

WHY DO THEY LET THEM GET IN THAT STATE

it only takes a few mins to wipe them over with oil and put them away in a dry place

I know circumstances change and some give up shooting and leave the rifles where they are only to come across them later on in a few years .

Iv had them where they look like they have come out of the north sea

covered in rust .

I know some stocks get knocked about when out hunting its part of our sport its going to happen regardless .

I get mine out every two or three weeks and re,oil them and rub the stocks over just to keep them fresh so to speak

even if they have not been used.

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P191211_22.08_[02].jpg

P191211_22.13.jpg

P191211_22.13_[01].jpg

P221211_08.56_[04].jpg

P221211_08.56_[05].jpg

P221211_08.56_[03].jpg

P100411_11.18.jpg

P100411_11.18_[05].jpg

P100411_11.18_[04].jpg

P100411_15.21.jpg

P100411_15.21_[02].jpg

A bit like you mac.  Got rid of my last three fairly recently, last one, my HW97 KT, to my son the end of march, birthday present for him.  But would give them a once over every 2 - 3 weeks whether they needed it or not.  And apart from my fairly oldish HW80, which I bought second hand off a mate, and that left my possession far better than when I bought it off him, they all left me in pristine condition.

I know some lads that only clean theirs once every 3 -4 months, but that to me is quite indicative of a lazy person, lazy mind.Been watching your threads about refurbs etc, and to be honest they inspire me, and I'm sure, many others also ?

• Like 1

That's fair comment Jimmy :yes: :thumbs:

Mine get a look over every 1-2 weeks if they haven't been used, action out of stock for a good wipe over once a month.

....... Never put away with finger prints on the metal work - that really fecks my OCD.

After a trip out, depending on conditions, they're usually wiped over then, left out for a while and, inspected and oiled again before putting them away.

If it was cold or wet, they'll be separated from the stocks and given time to acclimatise to the house before the stock and action are sorted.

They're pricey bits of kit so, I can never understand how some people let them go to shit :fool:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

A bit like you mac.  Got rid of my last three fairly recently, last one, my HW97 KT, to my son the end of march, birthday present for him.  But would give them a once over every 2 - 3 weeks whether they needed it or not.  And apart from my fairly oldish HW80, which I bought second hand off a mate, and that left my possession far better than when I bought it off him, they all left me in pristine condition.

I know some lads that only clean theirs once every 3 -4 months, but that to me is quite indicative of a lazy person, lazy mind.Been watching your threads about refurbs etc, and to be honest they inspire me, and I'm sure, many others also ?

Shaaark i only started as i could not afford to pay any one to do mine .

and im chuffed that it inspired you

all it takes is time

take your time and it will be right .

and when you think its done DO IT AGAIN

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

That's fair comment Jimmy :yes: :thumbs:

Mine get a look over every 1-2 weeks if they haven't been used, action out of stock for a good wipe over once a month.

....... Never put away with finger prints on the metal work - that really fecks my OCD.

After a trip out, depending on conditions, they're usually wiped over then, left out for a while and, inspected and oiled again before putting them away.

If it was cold or wet, they'll be separated from the stocks and given time to acclimatise to the house before the stock and action are sorted.

They're pricey bits of kit so, I can never understand how some people let them go to shit :fool:

Not half lol

I gave the hw100 a deep clean the other day

every thing off ,,oiled,,greased ,,,stock wire wool,ed over and oiled

pod cleaned as well

and put away,

I know how good your rifles are Jon

i buy them when your done with them lol

TOP NOTCH AND TOP CLASS

• Like 2

I was taught to wipe her over with a lightly oiled, lint free cloth, each and every time she was handled for any reason and that`s what I do.

If it`s raining, I either, don`t go out or take the 12`s out as it`s so easy to dismantle a shot gun to dry, clean and lightly wipe over with the oily cloth.

atb  Mark.

• Like 1

A wipe over with a cotton cloth and Bisley gun oil, and an oil of the stocks, every month, whether I've been out shooting or not.

How the hell does anyone allow a fine rifle to end up in rusting crud and worn blueing from sweaty hands, the stock looking like its been thrown off a cliff, is beyond my comprehension. 

Next thing, they'll want to sell it and expect a Minter's valuation for it.

I couldn't be a gunsmith. I'd lose it with some people who'd bring in a Diana, Weihrauch or Air Arms rifle in such a shit state.

No excuses for this.

• Like 3