On 08/07/2022 at 09:50, CHEVINFOX said:

nikon d7200 with a tamron 18-400 lens or tamron 150-600 lens

all second hand from here = 

WWW.CAMERAJUNGLE.CO.UK

Thought lenses might have dropped in price with people moving over to mirrorless , or do they use the same lenses?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, levigsp said:
"The day started just like most during this year's Rut.                                    Cloudy, windy and relatively warm outside.                                                        Deer came in from the meadows still in the dark and got stuck into the thickness of the forest.                                                                                        I didn't get to the forest until around 8 a.m., not counting on any spectacular success.                                                                                                                 
I got to the first "listening" location and I was greeted by just the sound of the wind.
I changed the place and listened for the prince again for 15 minutes and yet again without success.
On the way back, I decided to check out another spot. 
Just opened my car door and heard a massive roar - a short, scary one.
I already knew this was part of a conversation of at least two stags. I grabbed my camera and walked down a forest road toward them.                                                                                                                                                 I left the car about 100m when the forest silence was interrupted by a deaf rattle mixed with sharp bangs - a fight!                                                                       I tramped on another hundred yard almost with a run, also switching the zoom to a minimum focal point and raising the ISO to get a shorter shutter opening time.                                                                         
Unfortunately, I didn't make it. 
Because of the density of hazel, two stags rushed one after another and I didn't have a chance to pick up my camera in time, so I pointed the lens down the road from my hip and released a series of photos as the deer ran through it. I didn't count that I would hit the sharp point perfectly, but I wanted to identify in the photos which stags were fighting (I know almost all of them here).
When one of the opponents turns his back, it means the fight is over, right?
 A little disappointed, I reached for the camera to check the effect of a series of photos - I didn't make it in time.
,I heard the fighting noises again.
This was unusual, but oh well, it's nature, miracles happen here.
I ran dozens of steps but already I knew what was up.
He has killed him - from behind the hazel bush, there in the grass one could see a lying stag, while the other was still stabbing him with his garland antlers.
With one powerful thrust he dropped the body of his rival and rolled it by 2 meters.
He immediately attacked the corpse again and again hitting it with sharp brow tines, he turned it over to the other side.
Me at this time? well,15 meters away, although in camouflage I was stuck in an open space.
I was beginning to fear that when the aggressor cools down, he would instantly spot me and run away.
I decided to change the location a bit.
The stag saw movement out of the corner of his eye and looked my direction. There was something in his eyes that I've seen before in the eyes of a moose that chased me around the car and in the end took out the bumper and bonnet - just move or I'll kill you!!!
I knew I couldn't even shake without provoking an adrenaline-powered attack.
Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a birch tree two meters to the right of me and calmed down a bit but knowing that it would at least afford me minimum protection.
Fortunately, after a few loooong seconds, the stag returned to pierce and break his rival's ribs.
After a few minutes of massacring a long-dead rival, he went a few meters away and let out a roar of triumph in the battle.
I was sure it was over but suddenly his strength returned, and the bull struck with new fury.
After about 5 minutes, he stopped "fighting", he stood breathing for a while and slowly disappeared into the forest darkness.
When my emotions had subsided a bit, I started going through the photos I had taken, starting with a series from the hip. And that's where it all became clear. During the first encounter, which I didn't get, the unfortunate stag got a hit with an antler tine straight into the lungs.
While running across the road he was bleeding abundantly from a wound with a diameter of several centimetres.
When he was about to faint, his rival caught him and decided to discharge all his aggression on him alive and as a corpse.
And as if nothing strange has happened I headed away.
One stag killed the other in a fight, it's what happens.
However, the fact that he saw me well and wasn't afraid concerned me a little.
If I was a few feet closer or made the wrong move I think I would be in big trouble...."

murd2.jpg

murd3.jpg

murder.jpg

murdere.jpg

murd1.jpg

murderer.jpg

murder.jpg

murd4.jpg

murde.jpg

F*ck Levi ? very good description and fantastic pics ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, levigsp said:
"The day started just like most during this year's Rut.                                    Cloudy, windy and relatively warm outside.                                                        Deer came in from the meadows still in the dark and got stuck into the thickness of the forest.                                                                                        I didn't get to the forest until around 8 a.m., not counting on any spectacular success.                                                                                                                 
I got to the first "listening" location and I was greeted by just the sound of the wind.
I changed the place and listened for the prince again for 15 minutes and yet again without success.
On the way back, I decided to check out another spot. 
Just opened my car door and heard a massive roar - a short, scary one.
I already knew this was part of a conversation of at least two stags. I grabbed my camera and walked down a forest road toward them.                                                                                                                                                 I left the car about 100m when the forest silence was interrupted by a deaf rattle mixed with sharp bangs - a fight!                                                                       I tramped on another hundred yard almost with a run, also switching the zoom to a minimum focal point and raising the ISO to get a shorter shutter opening time.                                                                         
Unfortunately, I didn't make it. 
Because of the density of hazel, two stags rushed one after another and I didn't have a chance to pick up my camera in time, so I pointed the lens down the road from my hip and released a series of photos as the deer ran through it. I didn't count that I would hit the sharp point perfectly, but I wanted to identify in the photos which stags were fighting (I know almost all of them here).
When one of the opponents turns his back, it means the fight is over, right?
 A little disappointed, I reached for the camera to check the effect of a series of photos - I didn't make it in time.
,I heard the fighting noises again.
This was unusual, but oh well, it's nature, miracles happen here.
I ran dozens of steps but already I knew what was up.
He has killed him - from behind the hazel bush, there in the grass one could see a lying stag, while the other was still stabbing him with his garland antlers.
With one powerful thrust he dropped the body of his rival and rolled it by 2 meters.
He immediately attacked the corpse again and again hitting it with sharp brow tines, he turned it over to the other side.
Me at this time? well,15 meters away, although in camouflage I was stuck in an open space.
I was beginning to fear that when the aggressor cools down, he would instantly spot me and run away.
I decided to change the location a bit.
The stag saw movement out of the corner of his eye and looked my direction. There was something in his eyes that I've seen before in the eyes of a moose that chased me around the car and in the end took out the bumper and bonnet - just move or I'll kill you!!!
I knew I couldn't even shake without provoking an adrenaline-powered attack.
Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a birch tree two meters to the right of me and calmed down a bit but knowing that it would at least afford me minimum protection.
Fortunately, after a few loooong seconds, the stag returned to pierce and break his rival's ribs.
After a few minutes of massacring a long-dead rival, he went a few meters away and let out a roar of triumph in the battle.
I was sure it was over but suddenly his strength returned, and the bull struck with new fury.
After about 5 minutes, he stopped "fighting", he stood breathing for a while and slowly disappeared into the forest darkness.
When my emotions had subsided a bit, I started going through the photos I had taken, starting with a series from the hip. And that's where it all became clear. During the first encounter, which I didn't get, the unfortunate stag got a hit with an antler tine straight into the lungs.
While running across the road he was bleeding abundantly from a wound with a diameter of several centimetres.
When he was about to faint, his rival caught him and decided to discharge all his aggression on him alive and as a corpse.
And as if nothing strange has happened I headed away.
One stag killed the other in a fight, it's what happens.
However, the fact that he saw me well and wasn't afraid concerned me a little.
If I was a few feet closer or made the wrong move I think I would be in big trouble...."

murd2.jpg

murd3.jpg

murder.jpg

murdere.jpg

murd1.jpg

murderer.jpg

murder.jpg

murd4.jpg

murde.jpg

That's brutal, saw maybe 5 stags roaring today at close range, all gyped up. 

IMG_20220930_180847.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...