Coyote reaction to population reduction

Also they reckon that now there are more coyotes in Yellowstone as there were before wolf rewilding. Not something often stated when environmentalists reference the Yellowstone rewilding project.

Edited by Born Hunter
Correction
9 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Also they reckon that now there are twice as many coyotes in Yellowstone as there were before wolf rewilding. Not something often stated when environmentalists reference the Yellowstone rewilding project.

I thought that the wolves had reduced coyote numbers. Can't remember exactly why this was said to be a good thing, but must have been the impact coyotes made on another species. Going by the TV programmes I saw at any rate.

40 minutes ago, skycat said:

I thought that the wolves had reduced coyote numbers. Can't remember exactly why this was said to be a good thing, but must have been the impact coyotes made on another species. Going by the TV programmes I saw at any rate.

Yes that is what happened apparently at first. But now because killing coyotes makes the females produce more pups there are actually more coyotes than before.

It's an amazing survival mechanism and quite unique. I watched the whole podcast. Its said that the wolf was basically exterpated from the West (US) in about 10 years such was the ease. Whereas man has tried to do the same with the coyote for near a century and only managed to spread it's population! Because of how they are biologically programmed to respond to individuals being killed. Its quite remarkable.

Also due to this attempt from man to wipe out the coyote and even now to control it, they've caused it to spread into the range of the threatened red wolf, which it's now very easily hybridising with and basically gonna dilute and absorb due to the relative population sizes.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Thanks 1

Nature suffers not feast nor famine, is a quote I,ve heard somewhere along the way and the older I get the more I see it and the more I realise we should leave nature alone and it will sort it's self out much better than we ever can the only mammal not in sync  with the enviroment is us, yet we think we have all the answers to sort it out  ??

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

It's an amazing survival mechanism and quite unique.

It truly is. I think it was Flores that stated they have to remove 75% of the coyote population in order for it to decrease due to the demands it places on their reproductive cycle. One study showed that when they removed 70% through shooting trapping and baiting 12 months later the numbers had returned to where they started.

When the packs are threatened the females go into heat more often and have bigger litters. Normal size litters are 5 - 6 pups whereas persecuted packs can have between 12 -16! They're also much more adaptable than the wolves because they can successfully hunt in singles and pairs. They can decimate winter deer herds too. Our region they reckon they can account for 50 - 60% in any given year which considering the deer numbers in my area is a truly staggering number.

It's more of a niche publication but back to the OP this is well worth sourcing if you have even a passing interest in Canis latrans...

CADF.jpg.2970095ea4d24850aff71a6405943048.jpg

From the material I've read over the years, this is probably the definitive work on the subject, IMHO. They're a fascinating creature and I really enjoy having them on the property!

YardCamMini1.jpg.6603155a1caf0e1d27b7c024736c2242.jpg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

It truly is. I think it was Flores that stated they have to remove 75% of the coyote population in order for it to decrease due to the demands it places on their reproductive cycle. One study showed that when they removed 70% through shooting trapping and baiting 12 months later the numbers had returned to where they started.

When the packs are threatened the females go into heat more often and have bigger litters. Normal size litters are 5 - 6 pups whereas persecuted packs can have between 12 -16! They're also much more adaptable than the wolves because they can successfully hunt in singles and pairs. They can decimate winter deer herds too. Our region they reckon they can account for 50 - 60% in any given year which considering the deer numbers in my area is a truly staggering number.

It's more of a niche publication but back to the OP this is well worth sourcing if you have even a passing interest in Canis latrans...

From the material I've read over the years, this is probably the definitive work on the subject, IMHO. They're a fascinating creature and I really enjoy having them on the property!

Thanks for your input CJ. I might have to buy it. Have you read his book on the 'American Serengeti'? That might not quite be the actual title.

I think it ties in to an interesting and ambitious project to re-establish the American prairie ecosystem that will rival that in Africa! They've raised so much money but hardly any following in the media.

14 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Your never going to convince them that's a coyote, every trigger of the trail cam should produce a perfect hd image from a satisfactory distance stood next to a yard stick for comparison, so officially that's just your dog ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Thanks for your input CJ. I might have to buy it. Have you read his book on the 'American Serengeti'? That might not quite be the actual title.

I think it ties in to an interesting and ambitious project to re-establish the American prairie ecosystem that will rival that in Africa! They've raised so much money but hardly any following in the media.

It's worth it, IMHO. I haven't read American Serengeti but if it's only half as good as Coyote America it'll be worth the purchase.

23 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Your never going to convince them that's a coyote, every trigger of the trail cam should produce a perfect hd image from a satisfactory distance stood next to a yard stick for comparison, so officially that's just your dog ?

Like you, my friend, I've got more than enough evidence to convince myself. You are correct though I'll have to set up the camera next to a measuring device surely that will just raise questions of the authenticity and calibration of said device?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A large rock is good to put were you want them to stop, as things will start marking it with there own smells and others then stop for a sniff to see who,s around ?

I think the neighbours would be p*ss*d off pretty quickly as they tend to run down the middle of the street in the early hours! :laugh:

• Like 1