I thought I'd pick brains before I have a go . I've got permission on a farm and one field has loads on rabbits on in one field.  Problem is the majority are on 3 edges . 1 has a train track right behind and on other side of train track is a golf course . The next side to it borders the local rugby pitches and the side opposite the train track borders a garden centre and camping site . I've shot a few rabbits with the shotgun but obviously a distance from these sides.  

I fancied giving snaring a go on these areas as it's quiet and effective. I've bought woodga dvd and X10 of his snares from fourteen acres . His dvd is really good and picked up general idea of what im doing but thought I'd ask on here aswell.  

I was going to set snares about 7pm and go check them 9am. Is there any preferred times to be setting or checking?

Do I need to boil the snares before use , some say don't bother some say it's necessary to take the smell off 

Gloves , should I use them when setting . When I've watched Andrew Stanley snaring on YouTube he has separate gloves for his snares . Was thinking of buying some tight work gloves and burying them in dry soil for a day or so then leaving to dry and using them as hopefully they will just smell natural .

Is there any preferred distance from the fence line to set them ? Should I be close or a few metres out depending on the grass ? 

Any other tips would be great . Hoping to get out Saturday night and set X10 of them 

Hi,.if you are willing to take written advice or learn from a DVD, (and for some folk, this is often this is the only viable option),...why not try to obtain a copy of Glenn Waters definitive text on Rabbit snaring...:clapper:

"Professional Rabbit Snaring: A Complete Book on Rabbit Snaring for Gamekeepers, Professional & Amateur Trappers, Field Sportsmen.

I believe Fourteen Acre the Field Sports supplier sells it.?

• Like 6

Your only going to learn by trail and error mate but checking them at 9am it daylight at 5 am just now your giving crows foxes etc 4 hours to empty the snares before you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, The one said:

Your only going to learn by trail and error mate but checking them at 9am it daylight at 5 am just now your giving crows foxes etc 4 hours to empty the snares before you 

Good point . I have no problem with going to check them earlier 

Glad to see someone got a rabbit problem  cause there's very few where I live. I use to just hang the snare of the bottom wire of the fence where they were come in, taken loads of rabbits this method over the years but I know a lot of people do not recommend this method. But once the local Fox population know these an easy meal to had it doesn't matter what time you check the snares cause they will have beaten you to them. If noise is an issue you could always use an air rifle or fully moderated shotgun with subsonic cartridges or the poachers method catapult! Go luck.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, The one said:

Wise words, mr Fox regularly has a free meal on me even when I leave them for just a few hours. 

Ive never used gloves or done anything to the snares to hide scent

• Like 1