New to ferrets

Don't have just one. You can bond two or more, and they become firm friends - excellent company for each other. They chatter among themselves and have a little squabble at times, but they are in no way what you'd call noisy.

The smell can be a problem (particularly with hobs), but get them neutered and it greatly reduces. Finally, they live outdoor quite happily, all year round, just keep them out of the sun.

Whether you want a pet or a worker (which still has to be hand-friemdly !), they're smashing little things to own. Good luck, mate.

• Like 4

I got two jills just over 18 months ago. I spent ages deciding on whether to get any or not, but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I now have 9! Great little characters, the only noise they make is their claws inside the tubing, and they love playing with a plastic bowl which rattles on the concrete floor. Also when the vas hob is taking the females out of season they do squeal a little, but I only put him in for four hours.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

Don't have just one. You can bond two or more, and they become firm friends - excellent company for each other. They chatter among themselves and have a little squabble at times, but they are in no way what you'd call noisy.

The smell can be a problem (particularly with hobs), but get them neutered and it greatly reduces. Finally, they live outdoor quite happily, all year round, just keep them out of the sun.

Whether you want a pet or a worker (which still has to be hand-friemdly !), they're smashing little things to own. Good luck, mate.

How often should they be cleaned? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alhunter said:

I pick out the shit bits each day when I go see them and full clean once a week.  I take it all out and clean it with Keyes fluid spray and put all new stuff in . Pack of shavings is cheap and lasts ages 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

I pick out the shit bits each day when I go see them and full clean once a week.  I take it all out and clean it with Keyes fluid spray and put all new stuff in . Pack of shavings is cheap and lasts ages 

Thanks mate! ??

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alhunter said:

Once they've settled, you will find that they 'go' in the same place all the time. I clean this corner daily, and clean and disinfect the whole hutch once a week. During the summer they spend all day, and some nights in their outdoor run, which has much more space.

• Like 2

I got ferrets a year and a half ago . Never held or seen much of them before . I got a hob of someone who has used it for hunting and it was well handled.  I had his vasectomised last summer and at the same time got 2 Jill kits . Now (touch wood) he can bring them out of season and has company to chase around . They really are a amazing animal to keep.  With the Jill kits I handled them loads each day and they don't bite at all.  Just that bit of extensive effort for first 6 months really paid off.  Most people have rabbits or guinea pigs etc but ferrets are miles better . So much more bouncy / interesting / comical than a rabbit . If you work them they become a ticket to even more fun but even as just a pet is still have them . Their cheap to keep , shavings and bedding isn't much , ferret food is cheap and lasts ages , if you hunt with them a lot of your ferret food will be free. As far as Im concerned they don't really stink.  I mean their hutch area isn't reaking of ferret , if you handle them you will smell on your hands of ferret but that's what washing your hands is for . Id recommend getting a book on them and then if your still interested jump in 

• Like 2

They make no noise but chitter when excited by you don't hear it from indoors and for cleaning I keep my ferrets in a 8 X 2 chicken run and coop with wooden floor covered with hay and just pull out the hay at the far end every week as they shit in the same place.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

They make no noise but chitter when excited by you don't hear it from indoors and for cleaning I keep my ferrets in a 8 X 2 chicken run and coop with wooden floor covered with hay and just pull out the hay at the far end every week as they shit in the same place.

How often do you have to change the wooden floor or do you varnish it ?

• Like 2

I've been away since Saturday and just got back , Mrs been feeding and watering them.  Gave them a good clean out and let them run around the shed . If you could see them now you'd be sold on having a ferret.  Like balls of electric , ones triyng to get in the bin , the hob and one of the jills are play fighting and playing tag , the hob went for a 2 mins kip and then after hearing the other 2 running around decided to sneakily bash the other two Jill's all over the place , both turned tail and chased him around for 2 mins then one of the girls backstabbed the other and helped the hob chase the other around . I've only been out here 30 mins.  God knows what shenanigans they get up to when im not here 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Its just a 8 X 2 piece of plywood coated in weather proof clear coat or the ply will swell when raining haven't changed it yet in over a year because it doesn't need it

Good to know , I fancy a outside co-op and wondered how wooden floor would cope with the element and ferret piss