Fool that i am...

Well yesterday i was on a late in work so dogs were walked an ferrets fed. Home just after 8 and let dogs out and get their grub ready, then sit back with a brew before feeding em. We (me and the Mrs) both heard the noise but couldnt work out what it was, as it was muffled by the telly. Then another but this time different. I got up to investigate and went out the back, soon as i opened the door both dogs shot back in their seperate pens, sommat was up..?
Then a white flash out the corner of my eye and a ferret was out.!
The noise came to me... A Fenn going off... My trap, always ready, in its box under the garden bench and ducking down to see, i found the other ferret on its side hanging out the box... Well an truly nailed..!!
Tracy came out to see and guessed correct, that i must have left the cage open this morning (though it took em all day to escape!) What a feckin dope!
Gutted, i would have to tell my daughter her ferret was dead...
As i reached down to drag out the box i could see the ferrets chest slightly moving... Oh bollox, its still alive, i'm gonna have to do the decent thing...
I dragged the box out and opened it, the ferret was trapped by the neck and had a firm bite on the metal opening hoop.
I got my fingers in and prized it open. Instead of dropping limp, the ferret sprung to life and danced off, tail 'bottle brushed' up and chattering angrily, it was a bit wobbly but lively as f**k and furious and i was concerned to pick the fecker up incase i got clamped.

Pick it up i did an got it back in its cage, where it got stuck straight in to the food in there..!!!

Now that was a genuine Fenn mk4 trap in a made to measure box and that combo has killed a couple of hundred rats and a few stoats over the years.. That ferret was propper clamped tight on its neck BUT how the f**k it survived i have no idea... Other than the ferret is one double hard barsteward and is now getting on with summer life as normal... Could have been so much worse..!!
Just thought i'd share whilst the jobs a bit quiet... ?

Their tough wee fckrs. I stood on ones head before. Stepped back straight on to its head with my heel. I would be big enough. Any other wee animals brains would be coming out its ears, it just ran away and started playing again. Went over another one with a wheelie bin wheel too when I was cleaning their cages out. The bin was full too. But again the the ferret was fine. Im sure I read before of somebody catching polecats alive in fenns in the trapping section.

• Like 1

I've left the cage open on two occasions now and I never foget that heart stopping feeling when you realize they are out somewhere! Glad it had a good ending for you this time, they never cease to amaze me I'll say that 

• Like 2

Thank God you hadn't set Kania traps,  Bosun...:yes:

Never rated the killing power of a Fenn trap,..seen far too many live critters, (ferrets, Mink, stoats, etc) fighting to get free of its clinging embrace...

I remember sitting with George Newcombe, as one of his Bedlington hybrids came trotting around the corner, wearing a Fenn trap, on its muzzle?

"Come here ya silly thing", said George, as he removed the rusty old trap...

The terrier went straight back to continue searching for her rat, totally unharmed and none the worse for the experience...?

• Like 3