This is number eight that’s come down the chimney into the wood burner this year , only need one more for the record , We also have a swallow intent on nesting in the barn so having to keep the doors shut . Saturday it was flying through the front doors out the back like it was casing the joint but then started to go up in the rafters looking to nest so I’ve shut it out ..

DFF59DF9-EA3D-4A0F-B4AC-28D4B2E0DB2F.thumb.jpeg.c817dd8e701cc637770029d084716bc8.jpeg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, sussex said:

This is number eight that’s come down the chimney into the wood burner this year , only need one more for the record , We also have a swallow intent on nesting in the barn so having to keep the doors shut . Saturday it was flying through the front doors out the back like it was casing the joint but then started to go up in the rafters looking to nest so I’ve shut it out ..

DFF59DF9-EA3D-4A0F-B4AC-28D4B2E0DB2F.thumb.jpeg.c817dd8e701cc637770029d084716bc8.jpeg

The swallows were probebly born in your barn,their desendants have been using it for years and years and you go and shut the door on them,ffs man at least put some swallow nesting boxes up as you've just shut down a breeding site for your local swallows..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fireman said:

The swallows were probebly born in your barn,their desendants have been using it for years and years and you go and shut the door on them,ffs man at least put some swallow nesting boxes up as you've just shut down a breeding site for your local swallows..

Just to clarify...I live in the barn and have done for a dozen years so they weren’t born it and as much as I like swallows I can’t leave a door open 24/7 and even my old lady who is as layed back as it gets would struggle with a family of swallows sh1ting every where ....Before I bought it it was a joinery workshop that was shut up .I have over the years tried nesting boxes to encourage them to nest outside with no luck ..wether it’s down to being to exposed I don’t know but they haven't nested ..

When I first moved here there was hardly any song birds and I have spent the last dozen or so years waging war on the corvids , squirrels rats and just about anything that eats birds eggs or chicks ..last year we had a spotted flycatcher nest not ten feet from our front door , along with blue tits , great tits , wrens etc all in boxes I put up ..When I did the roof I deliberately left some small openings for the birds and the starlings and sparrows get two broods of every year ..I can’t tell you how much I spend on wild bird food in the winter !  .  

I planted this hedge , it goes the full distance round my place , it’s four foot thick and eight foot high and you won’t see a single magpie working it ..There are a tidy few nests in it ..

7002B2B8-ED6C-441A-89C4-F6EBD5F7E1C6.thumb.jpeg.c5a85fc9674777c8724a740df5561dfc.jpeg

Hit a raw nerve mate I love to see birds about ..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, sussex said:

Just to clarify...I live in the barn and have done for a dozen years so they weren’t born it and as much as I like swallows I can’t leave a door open 24/7 and even my old lady who is as layed back as it gets would struggle with a family of swallows sh1ting every where ....Before I bought it it was a joinery workshop that was shut up .I have over the years tried nesting boxes to encourage them to nest outside with no luck ..wether it’s down to being to exposed I don’t know but they haven't nested ..

When I first moved here there was hardly any song birds and I have spent the last dozen or so years waging war on the corvids , squirrels rats and just about anything that eats birds eggs or chicks ..last year we had a spotted flycatcher nest not ten feet from our front door , along with blue tits , great tits , wrens etc all in boxes I put up ..When I did the roof I deliberately left some small openings for the birds and the starlings and sparrows get two broods of every year ..I can’t tell you how much I spend on wild bird food in the winter !  .  

I planted this hedge , it goes the full distance round my place , it’s four foot thick and eight foot high and you won’t see a single magpie working it ..There are a tidy few nests in it ..

7002B2B8-ED6C-441A-89C4-F6EBD5F7E1C6.thumb.jpeg.c5a85fc9674777c8724a740df5561dfc.jpeg

Hit a raw nerve mate I love to see birds about ..

Not trying to diss your bird love mate I feel it to, but I think swifts go in nest box,s,  to encourage swallows and house martins you need some mud cup type box,s under eves and gables like this, easy to make or £6-£7 to buy sorry for being pedantic hope I,m not telling granny how to suck eggs ?

image.jpeg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, sussex said:

I ve had two down my chimney the first one was covered in soot, and when I opened the stove door he buggered off a bit too sharpish and hit every wall the mess had to be seen to be believed.

We had another one just come in through the patio doors and perched on a chair looking at the Mrs freaked her right out.  

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Not trying to diss your bird love mate I feel it to, but I think swifts go in nest box,s,  to encourage swallows and house martins you need some mud cup type box,s under eves and gables like this, easy to make or £6-£7 to buy sorry for being pedantic hope I,m not telling granny how to suck eggs ?

image.jpeg

I bought 4 of them mate , not one of them got used , moved them to different places around the barn still nothing ,had one on each elevation but for some reason they just don’t like the position , maybe a little to exposed and we do have a few spars about .My pal next door get loads nesting around the farm buildings with out trying , it is a lot more compact round there with easy access into the old buildings ...

• Like 1