Quality Bushing Litter (First Cross Russell/Beagle)

17 hours ago, FKOF said:

What use would a bushing dog be for ferreting ?

One of the best ferreting dogs I ever seen was a JRT. Same stamp as the bitch in this thread. If you are ferreting hedges then they are worth having. 

This litter looks just the job for bushing. ATB with the pups whoever has them. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FKOF said:

Can they catch bolters like a whippet? Is a whippet or lurcher not as good as marking or holding netted rabbits in or out of cover?

No they can't catch bolters like a whippet though they can nab them if in the right place. But if you use nets does it matter
Lurchers and whippets can mark fine. I have one my self. 
But the simple fact is a lurcher no matter how good at cover it is can't get where a busher can get like the terrier types.

Hows a lurcher meant to get in there.

44948613451_e6415d7fdf_o.jpg.9d8f6699b0fc3a3f69979e72be5a1c2b.jpg

or a big old bramble bank. Lots of times around here you will find a nice little 2 holer on the edge of bank empty because the rabbit is sat in the cover but nine times out of ten if you flush it it will end up in the little easy two holer

Don't get me wrong my lurcher can do a good job from out side as well 

30990463788_84302af3a2_o.jpg.e9c6f6360343947f10501b7d2975f3b5.jpg

Only reason I got a lurcher for ferreting was because it opens up the lamping scene so I work the dog during the week.
Just my findings around here.
But for ferreting this dog would trump the lurcher every time.

14820425510_b4913c9780_o.jpg.c9c622a34325897903dcb81db1f3a7ff.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, FKOF said:

So the terriers catch bolters in that cover ? How do you net them if a lurcher carn't get in there surely you carn't either? Genuine question 

Lad I used ferret with had a terrier ,he would put purse nets on the ones he could get too and then would put nets draped over runs in and out of the hedge , the terrier would work loose in the hedge row she would catch some in the hedge from holes that were unable to be netted , around 3 she develed the nack of sitting back just of the hole entrance and nab them as they bolted , if they managed to bolt and miss the nets placed on the runs then the lurcher would mop up , he used her a lot on pheasant shoots were he wasn’t aloud to take a lurcher , unfortunatly she is a Barron bitch so he could never take a litter from her 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FKOF said:

So the terriers catch bolters in that cover ? How do you net them if a lurcher carn't get in there surely you carn't either? Genuine question 

I climbed over that fence with the grace of a ballet dancer ?

30990460818_4abb754ecf_o.jpg.ed553a5f854e7a270b40ac46e728c4b2.jpg

and one of these pups would be more help in there with me than the black pudding  stood outside looking pretty. Not to  knock the dog because he is great and does grand job

21 minutes ago, terryd said:

I climbed over that fence with the grace of a ballet dancer ?

30990460818_4abb754ecf_o.jpg.ed553a5f854e7a270b40ac46e728c4b2.jpg

and one of these pups would be more help in there with me than the black pudding  stood outside looking pretty. Not to  knock the dog because he is great and does grand job

Ballet dancer ?, No van dammage at all then eh !

• Haha 1