• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

What about dave platts deerhound x, I know some folk put him down but hay what's new, I know a lad who as a bitch from his line and she's doing just fine. If I was looking for deerhound x it would have to have sheep dog in it. 

23 hours ago, Busher100 said:

There must be a reason why the collie deer grey types and deer greys have became unpopular? What would they do better than a modern day lurcher? (Eg Saluki bull grey or collie bull grey) I think alot of people who own that type of dog today look at them through rose tinted spectacles and the whole image of owning the original poaching type lurcher attracts them more to the X then the actual working ability of such animals.

I owned a deerhound greyhound collie grey hound in late 80s busher he retrieved hares day or night s/h  caught good numbers too took a good numbers of foxes s/h and could be relied upon on with bigger gear when things didn't go to plan and could run any ground and had good wind he was a decent enough dog had his faults but was honest enough when it mattered I don't get why there not more popular 

Sounded like he was a good dog for you and I'm not saying some won't  be good ones But there will be a reason for the decline in them as if they were better then what is about today they would be about in good numbers still but they ain't so what do you think that tells you? 

Alot of people have said the deerhounds lack bottle and its hard to find a collie grey that been tested on more then small edibles. I went out with a old boy I met through a lad I been ferreting with n the old boy was saying how his collie Grey's were proper dogs so we went out for a day n these pair of dogs could really hunt they caught a brace of pheasants and a couple rabbits in a hour or so anyways on the way back to the car a fox was trotting across a field n the dogs took off after it they got there one took a nip n done a runner the other barked at the fox from about 2 foot away fox just got up an slipped through the fence I almost pissed myself the old boy didn't think it was as funny as me though. The deer greys and collie deer Grey's look the part and that and that's what attracts alot of folk 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Alot of people have said the deerhounds lack bottle and its hard to find a collie grey that been tested on more then small edibles. I went out with a old boy I met through a lad I been ferreting with n the old boy was saying how his collie Grey's were proper dogs so we went out for a day n these pair of dogs could really hunt they caught a brace of pheasants and a couple rabbits in a hour or so anyways on the way back to the car a fox was trotting across a field n the dogs took off after it they got there one took a nip n done a runner the other barked at the fox from about 2 foot away fox just got up an slipped through the fence I almost pissed myself the old boy didn't think it was as funny as me though. The deer greys and collie deer Grey's look the part and that and that's what attracts alot of folk 

All that shows is that the dogs in question had not been entered on to a fox at the proper stage of development - which shows responsible dog ownership in the current climate. Its more to do with the owners lack of knowledge than the inability of dogs in question. Your friend should not have slipped his inexperienced dogs on a fox. Some dogs are trained, others are just expected to turn up to a gun fight. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, PJCaswell said:

All that shows is that the dogs in question had not been entered on to a fox at the proper stage of development - which shows responsible dog ownership in the current climate. Its more to do with the owners lack of knowledge than the inability of dogs in question. Your friend should not have slipped his inexperienced dogs on a fox. Some dogs are trained, others are just expected to turn up to a gun fight. 

Or it shows the dog has no heart. You can’t train that into a dog.

• Like 1

Dogs were into their second season so both at least near on 3 he didnt have them for fox just rabbits but the dogs don't know that an to me they are culls. Pj you don't seem to know much every dogs is inexperienced till it's had its first ain't it? 

" should not have slipped his inexperienced dogs on a fox" every single handed dog out there was once inexperienced so if a dog jack's on its first it gets a slide cause it's inexperienced? I think not mate. Not once have I told anyone what dog to keep if it does what you want and your happy all is good and well but say it how it is do not try dress it up as something it is not 

The lads I know who work f1 dh/gh and 3/4 gh - 1/4 dh don't slip on a fox until they are 24 months. They take a lot longer to mature than your bull x and I think that is a big part of the decline of dh/gh ... lads aren't patient enough to hold off long enough. 

The dh/gh I have seen worked are owned by lads who know what they were doing. Serious animals to hunt day or night with a lot more brains than the majority (not all!) of bull x's I have seen working. 

• Like 3

If someone wants to wait 2 years to try a dog all good and well but what if at 2 years it don't take them alot of time wasted imo but I suppose if you are dead set on a certain type of X not much is going to change your mind