1 minute ago, Phil Lloyd said:

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... :yes:

401409222_ag-Copy.jpg.275a4cb41b021faea4f40c829c6a7be9.jpg

I can remember that far back and its the reason id never own anything else,happy days,happy weeks and months and as the years have passed i resent more the fact that that type is no longer as dominant as the honest folk that utilised them/

• Like 3

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... :yes:

401409222_ag-Copy.jpg.275a4cb41b021faea4f40c829c6a7be9.jpg

If we could go back in time and leash a mutt that made the biggest impression on our youth,then our experience then id long to go back and start again with them 2 bale loungers,fecking beautiful and functional to a yorkshire boot.

• Like 3

There must be a reason why the collie deer grey types and deer greys have became unpopular? What would they do better than a modern day lurcher? (Eg Saluki bull grey or collie bull grey) I think alot of people who own that type of dog today look at them through rose tinted spectacles and the whole image of owning the original poaching type lurcher attracts them more to the X then the actual working ability of such animals.

in the seventy's I saw quite a few f1 and three quarters run and if ime honest and I usualy am they were very average and that's being kind, in the early 2000s lads we ran with started on about these again one got a d/h lurcher was no good, another lad got a f1 now this one was very capable at running hares, easy fast enough tight runner, and cought the od un, but jacked on 9 out 10, heart of a mouse, there are better out there for every thing, but old gyp belonged to a good mate of mine he was generation d/h lurcher and a great lamper, I liked old gyp proper dog, but the day he ran a hare in the daytime the hare made the hedge and old gyp came trotting back he thought that was it' lol.

Edited by two crows
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:14, David stockwell said:

Whos breeding the best deerhound greyhouns 

I was looking for a F1 18 months ago and just couldn’t find one I was happy with. In the end I went for a bitch with a lot of deerhound. I am very pleased with her -  though I suspect she would never have been massively content retrieving foxes 4 days a week, which is fine by me!! Although she is young she is already considerably faster than others dog through woodland/scrubland. 

Pj for you that wouldn't be problem which is fine aslong as it suits you but to me the only thing we have round here is rabbits and LOTS of fox's so for me an animal that wouldn't take them in good numbers most nights o the week would be a bit of a lost cause

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Pj for you that wouldn't be problem which is fine aslong as it suits you but to me the only thing we have round here is rabbits and LOTS of fox's so for me an animal that wouldn't take them in good numbers most nights o the week would be a bit of a lost cause

What else do you want Elk?

….but yes I would imagine that she would be a complete lost cause. To be honest I don't think many modern lurchers would actually take a fox. I think those days are long gone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think your wrong mate very wrong alot of lads like myself only keep dogs for working and I like to think my dogs are decent enough but the only way to find out If they are decent is to test them and retrieving fox in a decent number consistently to me is a test to prove a dog is decent. obviously to find out If you have a excellent animal there is much harder stuff for a dog to do but I won't go into that on a forum. And as for the those days are gone comment maybe for the registered hunts and coursing meets but for lads who go out on there own or with a few lads in their circle there is still much more to come.

I saw a stunning example of a deerhound lurcher earlier today in Richmond,real head turner,never worked in its life as it was being walked by a Sloane ranger type blonde.Heres a deerhound I spotted at the royal wedding the other week.

P1010425.JPG