4 hours ago, sandymere said:

The wooly coat is likely just a genetic click with the saluki feathering so may well be down to the saluki ancestry as anything else.

As an aside it would be interesting to see how location would alter the UK coursing types, size and style wise?  

3 hours ago, Gilbey said:

yeah think its just the saluki coat mixing with the lurcher coat, I put up some pics once of saluki with her normal coat and then in her dotage with a long coat. If you look at the peds of the proper woolly's you can trace it back to a mans dogs, and they don't look like any beddy crosses more cur

saluki coats vary a lot from different  countries and regions within those countries, I bred some crosses with nothing but saluki and greyhound in and some of the feathered ones were almost wooly, back in the seventys I bred some smaller ones by using whippet for the smaller fields and barbed wire where I lived they were spot on. the pic I put up shows one 22/23 looks just like a modern one.

• Like 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

I have two 1st crosses one is a pitx grey dog and a saluki grey bitch, never thought i would end up with two first crosses for completely different jobs but they both keep me very happy and are both good at their jobs,  then my brother got two saluki bull greyhounds which he must have Got extremely lucky with as they are both exceptional at pretty much any task they have faced, one he bred himself the other he bought in i suppose everyone has a perfect imagintion of what they want but getting that perfect imagination in real life is another thing altogether 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Last pup I reared didn't want to know and a young dog a friend Lent me said no after 2 in a night. I haven't yet had a top dog which is what I'm after.

This post is getting stranger by the post 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If your looking for a fox dog that can take as much as you can show them a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull wouldn't be me first choice and maybe your showing the youngsters a bit to much before there ready and I wouldn't say there's many that will take as many as you can show them s/h they all have a breaking point sometimes when you least expect it and take it from me if your chasing the holy grail don't bother you will never be happy 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, two crows said:

saluki coats vary a lot from different  countries and regions within those countries, I bred some crosses with nothing but saluki and greyhound in and some of the feathered ones were almost wooly, back in the seventys I bred some smaller ones by using whippet for the smaller fields and barbed wire where I lived they were spot on. the pic I put up shows one 22/23 looks just like a modern one.

same purebred bitch (not mine)

Edited by Gilbey
not a 1st x deer grey....
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

If your looking for a fox dog that can take as much as you can show them a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull wouldn't be me first choice and maybe your showing the youngsters a bit to much before there ready and I wouldn't say there's many that will take as many as you can show them s/h they all have a breaking point sometimes when you least expect it and take it from me if your chasing the holy grail don't bother you will never be happy 

Probably am chasing the holy grail mate. I need a dog that can catch fox's as well as dispatch hench going for a racey one instead of more bull. I'll test what I got this season coming an who knows maybe if she ain't upto it I'll try a dog more bull saturated if she can't do the job.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Probably am chasing the holy grail mate. I need a dog that can catch fox's as well as dispatch hench going for a racey one instead of more bull. I'll test what I got this season coming an who knows maybe if she ain't upto it I'll try a dog more bull saturated if she can't do the job.

I don't think a fox would take much catching up to, by any sort of lurcher unless the dog not trying, after that different  thing, not my bag though tbh, I have a 243 for them, that don't jack.

• Haha 3
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:41, Busher100 said:

No that's just my standard and I wouldn't keep a dog that wasn't upto what I want it for that wouldn't make sense would it? When you said " the miniscule amount of bull or all the greyhound blood" I took it that you were trying to say shes not upto it. Hence I offered you to come and make your own mind up. By the way she just under 1/4 bull so not that "miniscule" haha 

there you go mate i.e.  I wouldn't keep a dog that wasn't upto what I want it for that wouldn't make sense would it

23 minutes ago, two crows said:

I don't think a fox would take much catching up to, by any sort of lurcher unless the dog not trying, after that different  thing, not my bag though tbh, I have a 243 for them, that don't jack.

No but they can turn well making a dog over shoot hence needing speed to get back on terms 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

No but they can turn well making a dog over shoot hence needing speed to get back on terms 

it to much speed hat makes them overshoot that's why coursing men like a fast dog that runs slow and therefor tight. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, two crows said:

it to much speed hat makes them overshoot that's why coursing men like a fast dog that runs slow and therefor tight. 

2 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

I'd rather a dog too fast then just fast enough but that's just me

no you don't understand, the dog has tones of pace, but is clever enough to slow down once it gets there, and anticipate what its quarry will do, and catch it.

• Like 7